+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
Network and Classroom Management Thread, CC4 Anywhere in Technical; ...
  1. #16

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,440
    Thank Post
    408
    Thanked 669 Times in 611 Posts
    Rep Power
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    I'm very interested in this...

    ...but also worried by "just install any Citrix®-compatible application".

    Most of our software barely works on Windows.
    I saw the demo of this and from what I saw it's just as though you're sat in front of the computer so I'm not sure what this is referring to?

    It's £140 per licence for anyone interested then a further £695 for the server licence.

  2. #17
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,497
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    It's £140 per licence for anyone interested then a further £695 for the server licence.
    Ouch. At those prices, it becomes a circular argument - I couldn't afford it for every staff member, let alone student, and giving it just to the handful who could benefit would probably make it to expensive per person to justify!

  3. #18

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,440
    Thank Post
    408
    Thanked 669 Times in 611 Posts
    Rep Power
    191
    They are meant to be integrating it with CC4 licencing in the future so this may reduce the overall cost but right now, on top of current CC4 costs, it's pricey.

  4. #19
    morganw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    818
    Thank Post
    46
    Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    I saw the demo of this and from what I saw it's just as though you're sat in front of the computer so I'm not sure what this is referring to?
    I guess that was operating through a TS session with virtualised applications on top, but it's also meant to run without a desktop and load applications directly through a web portal. May need a terminal server or similar for the backend though to provide the actual execution.

    Point being the application has to be compatible with whatever container it's installed in, behave to get streamed to somewhere, and the receiving device has to have a compatible with Citrix connector.
    If you've got something that is TS compatible then I imagine all is fine, if you've got a CD that says Windows 95 compatible on it then you aren't off to a good start.

  5. #20

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,440
    Thank Post
    408
    Thanked 669 Times in 611 Posts
    Rep Power
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    I guess that was operating through a TS session with virtualised applications on top, but it's also meant to run without a desktop and load applications directly through a web portal. May need a terminal server or similar for the backend though to provide the actual execution.

    Point being the application has to be compatible with whatever container it's installed in, behave to get streamed to somewhere, and the receiving device has to have a compatible with Citrix connector.
    If you've got something that is TS compatible then I imagine all is fine, if you've got a CD that says Windows 95 compatible on it then you aren't off to a good start.
    No it was through the Citrix Web App thing.

  6. #21
    morganw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    818
    Thank Post
    46
    Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    I think that's probably a web based RDP client, connecting to terminal server, with xenapp applications running on top then.

    Hopefully i'll find out more about this later today as someone from RM is visiting to discuss.

  7. #22

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,440
    Thank Post
    408
    Thanked 669 Times in 611 Posts
    Rep Power
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    I think that's probably a web based RDP client, connecting to terminal server, with xenapp applications running on top then.

    Hopefully i'll find out more about this later today as someone from RM is visiting to discuss.
    Probably! Do tell us more when you find out about the requirements etc.

  8. #23
    morganw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    818
    Thank Post
    46
    Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    Will do.
    I was told yesterday that pricing and structure isn't finalised yet and field trials haven't been done, but hopefully I'll get a rough idea.

  9. #24

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,440
    Thank Post
    408
    Thanked 669 Times in 611 Posts
    Rep Power
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    Will do.
    I was told yesterday that pricing and structure isn't finalised yet and field trials haven't been done, but hopefully I'll get a rough idea.
    Quite a daft decision to publish prices at BETT then and put people off!

  10. #25
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,497
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Quite a daft decision to publish prices at BETT then and put people off!
    You'd possibly be more put off if they didn't publish prices at all. Generally, when someone shows off a product and then refuses to disclose the price, it is because it is too expensive! At least by saying, "it will be roughly £x, but we've not finalised this" you give people an idea. There are people who would be able to pay the prices suggested above but would be turned off by secret prices.

  11. #26

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,440
    Thank Post
    408
    Thanked 669 Times in 611 Posts
    Rep Power
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    You'd possibly be more put off if they didn't publish prices at all. Generally, when someone shows off a product and then refuses to disclose the price, it is because it is too expensive! At least by saying, "it will be roughly £x, but we've not finalised this" you give people an idea. There are people who would be able to pay the prices suggested above but would be turned off by secret prices.
    But then if it turns out to be £200 a licence people are going to grumble that on the printed material it says £140. It doesn't say anything about prices yet to be finalised or such.

  12. #27
    morganw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    818
    Thank Post
    46
    Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    I think client licences are confirmed, but in terms of the cost of server hardware and software and any addtional support required the overall price for a complete system isn't available.

    It does seem expensive but cheaper than trying the same thing with a full VDI infrastructure.

  13. #28
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,497
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    But then if it turns out to be £200 a licence people are going to grumble that on the printed material it says £140
    "Oh, the £140 was a BETT-special price, it is back to full price now"

  14. #29

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,440
    Thank Post
    408
    Thanked 669 Times in 611 Posts
    Rep Power
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    "Oh, the £140 was a BETT-special price, it is back to full price now"
    I never thought of it like that!

  15. #30
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,497
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    On the note of "BETT prices", I saw one company who were offering a discount on all orders placed before 31 Dec 09. Um.... They even called it a BETT 2010 special offer!



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CC4 and Sims
    By rad in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th September 2009, 08:07 AM
  2. RM CC3 or CC4
    By adeasha in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10th September 2009, 06:18 PM
  3. 12 CC4 laptops
    By SBP in forum Our Advertisers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st July 2009, 01:17 PM
  4. CC4 or Free2teach Help Please
    By blahblah in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 5th May 2009, 11:27 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •