+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Spiceworks, just installed in Technical; I have just installed spiceworks and was wondering how others are using it. not had a chance to mess yet ...
    Thank Post

Spiceworks, just installed

I have just installed spiceworks and was wondering how others are using it. not had a chance to mess yet as it is doing a network scan (zzzZZZ)

i installed it a while ago and remember it didnt seem to pickup everything and didnt have time to mess.

Thank Post
    We've used it a lot in the past week for inventory and it's been pretty much perfect, bar the odd few things which we've had to manually update.

Also use the helpdesk aspect of it. Set up a dedicated email address which Spiceworks checks regularly.

Works a treat and the portal is great for announcing things. We've set this as our homepage.

3. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

speckytecky (13th November 2009)

Thank Post
    I use it mainly for inventory purposes but I'm looking at getting the helpdesk going to replace our ageing system that no-one uses effectively. It links nicely into active directory so no-one has any 'I've forgotten my password' excuses.

5. Thanks to cromertech from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep use Spiceworks at all my schools and I love it. It also improves with every version. For me the random performance issues that plagued in the past are gone now.

I use it for:
    Inventory - yep picks up everything win and *nix based, machines, printers, swtiches etc
    Alerts - AV out of date, printer supplies etc
    Helpdesk - very simple to use
    Network mapping

Basically its great

7. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Thank Post
    We're going to be changing from Spiceworks to My Little Helpdesk here. Performance is not as good as it should be (imo) since the release of 4, we've even upgraded to the 4.5 beta hoping that it'd improve. But for what it is, it's a great bit of kit.

-ken

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnerk View Post
    We're going to be changing from Spiceworks to My Little Helpdesk here. Performance is not as good as it should be (imo) since the release of 4, we've even upgraded to the 4.5 beta hoping that it'd improve. But for what it is, it's a great bit of kit.

-ken
    I'd say the performance has improved in V4 I'm afraid, its still poor on the full system in IE, but use FF its great

Thank Post
    I've been using spiceworsk for the past year and a half and I absolutly love it.

Initially I only used it for the helpdesk, but now I use nearly all of its features and it has made my life so much easier.

Yes it can be a bit slow sometimes, but that is one very small negative in a whole load of posatives.

@wagnerk - 4.5 is based on an entirly new backend and they only just released the second beta today. Give it a chance before you jump ship.

Mark

11. Thanks to Whitestar from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    Can't get Spiceworks to see any of my workstations, but it sees mostly everything else.
    Can't get Spiceworks Help Desk Ticketing to work correctly - Have setup AD autentication and that's all fine, but then when user logs on the portal they enter their details then they are being asked to authenticate AGAIN - [ why ? This time in a seperate logon page ] and then it says the E-mail has not been setup. I have turned off the AD authentication but it's still asking for it.....Hmmmm. Very close to un-installing it now.
    And when will people realise that we don't all use Exchange ? Grrrrrr.
    Also why when I logoff the server it's installed on I can't access it from another PC on the network ?

May have sorted the last problem - was setup as on startup not as service.

Oooo found yet another bug - been entering the E-mail server info - click on test and it.......just hangs and hangs and hangs and hangs, and you can't stop the service......oh dear.....may have to put this alongside the 'Sophos' category of rather bad software.
    Last edited by mattx; 13th November 2009 at 05:57 PM.

Thank Post
    I don't think I have ever used a bit of software that is just so slow to do anything.....Even after deleting the logs and the other suggestions does not help - it's bleeding terrible.
    Someone let me know when it actually works.....

Thank Post
    You need to have the patience of a saint to use spiceworks. It is sooo slow. Tried it perhaps 4 times and each time i realise why i deleted it. Full credit to those who develop it though. For some it is a lifeline and costs nothing. You can't really moan too much when it is done for free and helps many.

Still on Liberum for helpdesk which definitely still does the basics but have purchased My Little Helpdesk because of the great features. Had a few little niggles with that but just need some time with it to be happy to roll it out. It will happen at some point.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    You need to have the patience of a saint to use spiceworks. It is sooo slow. Tried it perhaps 4 times and each time i realise why i deleted it. Full credit to those who develop it though. For some it is a lifeline and costs nothing. You can't really moan too much when it is done for free and helps many.

Still on Liberum for helpdesk which definitely still does the basics but have purchased My Little Helpdesk because of the great features. Had a few little niggles with that but just need some time with it to be happy to roll it out. It will happen at some point.
    Nagios is on a *nix ( linux ) platform and yes takes some configuring but works well hence why it gets suggested a lot

Thank Post
    Hang on !! Something has happened !! Managed to get the E-mail side worked out [ I think ] without it falling over....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitestar View Post
    ...@wagnerk - 4.5 is based on an entirly new backend and they only just released the second beta today. Give it a chance before you jump ship...
    While performance is a slight issue, it's not the main reason why we're moving helpdesk/servicedesk system. We're going to be implementing the cut down version of ITIL at our place: FITS.

As MLH is compatible with the ITIL/FITS, it was a good enough time as any to make the move

-Ken

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I'd say the performance has improved in V4 I'm afraid, its still poor on the full system in IE, but use FF its great
    After a few tests with different browsers, we've found Chrome to be the fastest so far (even over FF).

-Ken

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,088 Posts
    We looked at Spiceworks, the inventory side seems pretty cool.
    Couldn't get the helpdesk side to work properly, wouldn't communicate with AD or exchange, and just got fed up of trying different settings.

Were going to go for MLH but kept getting put off by the man with the money. Looked at spiceworks again but we are going sharepoint soon, so was wondering, which is going to be the best helpdesk to at some point in the future integrate well with sharepoint?

Can Spiceworks do that?

I still like the look of MLH and it has got some really good improvements on the inventory and network side of things recently.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast