+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, student VLAN setup HP procurve 2510/24 in Technical; Hi, I would like to setup an HP procurve 2510/24 with 2 vlan's, one for teachers and one for students. ...

Thank Post

student VLAN setup HP procurve 2510/24

Hi,

I would like to setup an HP procurve 2510/24 with 2 vlan's, one for teachers and one for students. The teacher's vlan will get internet via a small router's switch. The router is connected to a cable modem. The teacher's vlan will send ip addresses on the 192.168.2.100-254 range. The student's vlan will get filtered internet from an ipcop pc. I have grouped the student's pc's on consecutive ports and have left another port that will be the internet uplink from the ipcop pc.

I need help in setting up the student's vlan as I am inexperienced with managed switches and am uterly confused by the tagged/untagged features etc. What will be the best option to configure the switch, via web interface or through telnet?

Thanks for any information and help.

Thank Post
    Firstly make sure your switch's ip address is one in the teacher's range, not the student range. (With vlans it's very easy to cut yourself adrift. Make sure you've got a serial cable handy, just in case.)

I find the web interface easiest for vLans. Access it from one of your teacher pcs.

Go to configuration > VLAN Configuration. Click add a new vlan, call it students and give it the id 2 (they'll already be a default vlan with the id 1.).

You should now have two vlans listed (the default will be your teacher vlan, you can use the add/remove button to rename it). Click modify on your student vlan and select all the ports with student equipment attached. Set their mode to 'untagged'.

This will completly cut off the two networks from each other. It will basicaly be the same as having two separate switches.

3. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

schoolittech (15th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Finally had the time to set everyhting up and test. VLAN's worked like a charm with the ipcop pc doling out the ip's and the filtered internet. I have found out that I cannot access the ipcop pc from my pc on the teacher's vlan. I can ping the ipcop's red interface and although I have added my pc's ip in the outside access list of the firewall I cannot get into it. But anyway, thanks for your help. Will have to trawl more sites for ipcop help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread