+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, New to WinSuite - help needed in Technical; Originally Posted by sted if youre replacing the server be aware that server 08 cant run winsuite Or Vista clients...
    Jon
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    if youre replacing the server be aware that server 08 cant run winsuite
    Or Vista clients

Thank Post
    I now have all of the new users set up and showing on the WinSuite log in screen, and have checked that the Properties in Active Directory Users and Computers are the same as some other existing users ... but they still do not have a My Documents folder! What am I missing.

This is starting to really frustrate me!

Jon
    Thank Post
    What version of Winsuite are you using?

Have you used "Winsuite User import wizard" to setup your users?

In Active Directory, on the profile tab of a users properties, is the radio button checked for Home Folder connect H: to \\server\username$

When a user logs on do they have an H: Drive ?

If yes to all of these then winsuite should redirect MY DOCUMENTS to the H: Drive.

Thank Post
    Here goes...

What version of Winsuite are you using?

I am using v3.51

Have you used "Winsuite User import wizard" to setup your users?

I did...I think. I have been messing around with these lists for a few days so I don't really know what I have done and it's outcome. If I did the changes in Active Directory would this not just update WinSuite Administrator (maybe overnight)? As I say, all of my lists are now correct (and showing the same) on Active Directory, WinSuite Administrator and the kids log in screens, so that must have communicated somehow!

In Active Directory, on the profile tab of a users properties, is the radio button checked for Home Folder connect H: to \\server\username$

The radio button is checked, and the Home folder is \\server\username$. Logon script also says Logon.bat (if this is relevant)

No. When they log on a message box appears saying "The My Documents folder could not be found. Right click the My Documents icon, click Properties, and then check that the path to your target folder location is correct".

When I open My Computer I can select Desktop, and in the main window My Documents is showing - if I try to open it the same message appears, I can't right click on it (to see Properties), and File > Properties doesn't bring any joy either!

If yes to all of these then winsuite should redirect MY DOCUMENTS to the H: Drive.

When I then go into My Computer they have access to E, F and S drives. I have checked on WinSuite Administrator and when the group is selected, under the 'Drives' tab at the top I have checked the boxes for E, F, G, H and S to allow browsing to these drives. Does this sound right?

Thanks for all the help and time you are taking with this - I am very grateful!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    I never thought about that. I'd read that it won't run on Windows Vista but I'd never thought about server 2008. I'm hoping, if I get my own way, that with the new server 2008 install will be a vanilla network. The other schools in my cluster are on a Vanilla network. I know ther are alot for and against Winsuite. I personally dislike it but I can see why teachers and students like to use it, the front end is a lot more user friendly, especially for Foundation and KS1 kids than a normal windows set up.

Do you use it for Primary or Secondary?
    primary. The only good thing imo is the logon screen where kids can pick their name then later on in school set it to username then finally to type it in

tbh it was good for 98 as no gpo's to manage it with 2k/xp its almost pointless and just one more layer of stuff to cause problems (for instance if you use netop launching it directly from winsuite it will ask for the reg code launch ot from a batch file (or in all user startup) and its fine textease ct can have issues with it as well)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by msjunior View Post

When I then go into My Computer they have access to E, F and S drives. I have checked on WinSuite Administrator and when the group is selected, under the 'Drives' tab at the top I have checked the boxes for E, F, G, H and S to allow browsing to these drives. Does this sound right?

Thanks for all the help and time you are taking with this - I am very grateful!
    what are they using for a profile as ive found the only way to get it to reliably work with winsuite is to edit the ntuser.man files hkey user\username\software\ms\windows\current version\explorer\user shell folders and set my docs my pics etc to in your case h; h:\my pics h:\favourites etc i found ad folder redirection diddnt work well with winsuite

Jon
    Thank Post
    @ MSJunior

On the server, Have the users home folders been created and shared? If you have used the "winsuite user import wizard" it should have created a seperate folder with a share for every user you imported. This will probaly be within a folder on your server called "home" (this however depends on how winsuite was initially setup)

This folder will be named as the users username and shared by the same name with a $ on the end. so in the example I gave in an earlier post I would expect to see the following after import.

d:\home\09\fbloggs - shared as fbloggs$
    and
    d:\home\09\SClaus - shared as SClaus$

8. Thanks to Jon from:

msjunior (11th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    primary. The only good thing imo is the logon screen where kids can pick their name then later on in school set it to username then finally to type it in

tbh it was good for 98 as no gpo's to manage it with 2k/xp its almost pointless and just one more layer of stuff to cause problems (for instance if you use netop launching it directly from winsuite it will ask for the reg code launch ot from a batch file (or in all user startup) and its fine textease ct can have issues with it as well)
    I agree about the log on screen. Watching the really young kids try to log on by typing a user name and password can be painful sometimes.

I've noticed a few programs don't really run too well with it. The gripe I've had with it has been licenses. We have 60 licenses and 60 computers. Recently about 20 of the computers were replaced with new ones ( or should I say newer ones, donated from the local COmprehensive). I replaced the machines , deleted the old computer names from Active Directory and put the new names in their place in the OU. For about a week afterwards Winsuite complained that it was licensed for 60 machines but there were 80 machines trying to access it. The support company told me that I had to reset the license count but that didn't seem to do anything. About a week afterwards it just stopped complaining, no reason behind it at all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    I agree about the log on screen. Watching the really young kids try to log on by typing a user name and password can be painful sometimes.
    not that hard for younger ones just make it so ctrl alt del isnt required and have a user r no password its even possible to set certain machines to auto login

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by msjunior View Post

No. When they log on a message box appears saying "The My Documents folder could not be found. Right click the My Documents icon, click Properties, and then check that the path to your target folder location is correct".

When I open My Computer I can select Desktop, and in the main window My Documents is showing - if I try to open it the same message appears, I can't right click on it (to see Properties), and File > Properties doesn't bring any joy either!
    That would be because it's referencing a folder that doesn't exist/can't find, Windows will not create missing folders except for when creating a profile for the first time. Also it appears for newer comments shares each folder as well so that would also be creating the error.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    @ MSJunior

On the server, Have the users home folders been created and shared? If you have used the "winsuite user import wizard" it should have created a seperate folder with a share for every user you imported. This will probaly be within a folder on your server called "home" (this however depends on how winsuite was initially setup)

This folder will be named as the users username and shared by the same name with a $ on the end. so in the example I gave in an earlier post I would expect to see the following after import.

and
    I've never used winsuite before but eww..... why would you want to create a new share for each folder... is there even a sane/decent reason for this?
    Last edited by p858snake; 11th September 2009 at 08:23 AM. Reason: s/would/why/ - s/ever/even/

Jon
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    I've never used winsuite before but eww..... would would you want to create a new share for each folder... is there ever a sane/decent reason for this?
    No there isn't...

Welcome to the world of winsuite.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    not that hard for younger ones just make it so ctrl alt del isnt required and have a user r no password its even possible to set certain machines to auto login
    I've set it so that there is no control alt del required, I've asked them about having no password for the younger kids, but they insist on having proper passwords like the older kids, something about getting them used to it for when they are older.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    @ MSJunior

and
    @ Jon

Followed some of your instruction from earlier posts and seem to making some headway.

I followed the instructions for the 'User Import Wizard' and now have:

a) A folder on the D: drive called '2009' with all of the new starters listed (they all have a folder each)
    b) Updated class lists in Active Directory in which I have assigned 'members' to
    c) All students are also in an area called USERS on Active Directory

What I still do not have though are the folders in the D Drive for each studets to save their work - how do I add a My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, etc?

Thank Post
    How do you log on to a station that has winsuite as an administrator?

I have one option for pupils and staff but staff doesn't have the administrator account listed???

Please help!!!!

Jon
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    How do you log on to a station that has winsuite as an administrator?

I have one option for pupils and staff but staff doesn't have the administrator account listed???

Please help!!!!
    If you press alt+w a logon box will appear for you to type in a username and password.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast