+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Impact of CC4 on internal support response times in Technical; good afternoon, after a few frustrating meetings with my collueges, it's got me thinknig about the negative impact CC4 has ...

Thank Post

Impact of CC4 on internal support response times

good afternoon,

after a few frustrating meetings with my collueges, it's got me thinknig about the negative impact CC4 has had (and continues to have) on the internal ICT support department (and also the end users.)

We got CC4 last summer and have been battling issues ever since. We were fairly stable before SR1 although have never had all our support calls closed since the upgrade. I am now dealing with a few issues with RM Support that have arrisen post SR1, whilst trying to catch up on things that have been put off for ages (e.g: new applications.) I joined the team in April last year and we had about 4 months of CC3 before the upgrade- whilst we wern't sat twiddling our thumbs I was able to perform routine maintiance and deal with any network problems or staff requests pretty much as they arose (i.e: just a couple of days turn around for a new package usually.)

Since the upgrade we've been limping through at reduced effectiveness 'short term' although I don't see an end in sight anytime soon. Things that would normally have a few days turn around period are now done 'when they can be'- some software titles have been put back months. I am currently not able to perform all my duties in my job description due to time constraints and our other technician is having to take up the slack which is reducing his ability to respond to problems too- we both feel overworked and frustrated.

It's not just obvious CC4 problems but some asspects of it seem to make it more work than CC3 in the day to day running of the network, although this has got better with SR1.

It's not very good for job satisfaction 1.) feeling overworked but also 2.) feeling that you are not able to help the users quickly enough and 3.) feeling things are getting neglected/ overlooked

Is it just us, or does anyone else with CC4 feel this way?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 782 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So far, in my own experience I've found it rather good - well, let's say "not as bad as people have otherwise mentioned".

However, there are a few ongoing issues I keep seeing such as printer allocation wandering off whenever it feels like it and general performance, which although improved in SR1 still isn't quite the full ticket. These otherwise tiny niggles do seem to turn into something bigger than it needs to be.
    However, have found RM more than helpful with it so far.

Can only hope it improves further. Way to go before it's at CC3's point of "just working" though.

Thank Post
    Is it just us
    No, it unquestionably requires more care and feeding than CC3.

If I'm generous and discount the various CC4 "teething troubles", we're still left with the new (post-build) s/w deployment which is more painful in lots of ways. I think it's an over-developed solution to a set of requirements that certainly aren't mine - perhaps it fits better with their BSF stuff?

And ironically, RM using WSUS for sec-fix deployment (albeit behind an RMMC veneer), tends to be more troublesome than CC3s HFXs and "system package" allocation.

4. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

d-taylor (9th September 2009)

rad
    Thank Post
    We upgraded over the summer, not impressed and this will affect the school itself. Fortunately its only the start of term, really not liking the beginning of term.

I too liked CC3, and liked the way it worked, not sure I like CC4 at the moment, not doing anything for me. Even at RM towers for training, people who had it were having issues with it.

I could go on, but as its still early days, dont want to go into it.

Thank Post
    We too are having problems, we moved straight to CC4 and have a back log of jobs to do to get our system usable we currently have about three pieces of software working in three weeks of trying just about everything I can think of to get software working. the application wizard for making multimedia titles has never worked. Has anybody got any advice to get me going?

Thank Post
    Sorry, we were able to make multimedia titles on CC3 but they don't work on CC4 for us either. We did get some packages built on CC4, but the last 3 I tried all failed. Now we've got the software restrictions policy fixed it's even less likely they'll install now, RM are in no hurry to bring outa new version of ACL detective either because it won't make them any more money

Thank Post

CC4 Nightmares

Quote Originally Posted by d-taylor View Post
    good afternoon,

after a few frustrating meetings with my collueges, it's got me thinknig about the negative impact CC4 has had (and continues to have) on the internal ICT support department (and also the end users.)

We got CC4 last summer and have been battling issues ever since. We were fairly stable before SR1 although have never had all our support calls closed since the upgrade. I am now dealing with a few issues with RM Support that have arrisen post SR1, whilst trying to catch up on things that have been put off for ages (e.g: new applications.) I joined the team in April last year and we had about 4 months of CC3 before the upgrade- whilst we wern't sat twiddling our thumbs I was able to perform routine maintiance and deal with any network problems or staff requests pretty much as they arose (i.e: just a couple of days turn around for a new package usually.)

Since the upgrade we've been limping through at reduced effectiveness 'short term' although I don't see an end in sight anytime soon. Things that would normally have a few days turn around period are now done 'when they can be'- some software titles have been put back months. I am currently not able to perform all my duties in my job description due to time constraints and our other technician is having to take up the slack which is reducing his ability to respond to problems too- we both feel overworked and frustrated.

It's not just obvious CC4 problems but some asspects of it seem to make it more work than CC3 in the day to day running of the network, although this has got better with SR1.

It's not very good for job satisfaction 1.) feeling overworked but also 2.) feeling that you are not able to help the users quickly enough and 3.) feeling things are getting neglected/ overlooked

Is it just us, or does anyone else with CC4 feel this way?
    I could not have said it better!

9. Thanks to pborrero from:

d-taylor (12th October 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread