+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Lanview 4 help in Technical; Hi guys, Just installed lanview 4 into my new images and i'm running into a bit of a problem. When ...
    Thank Post

Lanview 4 help

Hi guys,

Just installed lanview 4 into my new images and i'm running into a bit of a problem.

When i try to preview or control a desktop i get VNC authentication failed.

Now i know what the password was for lanview 3 has it changed in lanview 4?

Thank Post
    As far as I knew the default password was a small green thing begining with t and not an f!

Thank Post
    yeh thats what i thought too.

doesnt want to connect though

Thank Post
    Taken from the help file:-

In previous versions of LanView, the VNC password was in the public domain. This was because we shipped a pre-made version of WinVNC which was suitable as a single package for other applications.

LanView 4 no longer has this option. The LanView 4 Client installer now contains the UltraVNC Client by default (this can be unselected during installation) and the password used in this package is not in the public domain. This is preset in the LanView 4 Server application and the UltraVNC Client Package. There is no way of changing this, except by manually modifying the UltraVNC.ini file on the clients with your own version.

You can however, still specify your own password in LanView 4 Server options. This allows users who prefer to use their own flavor of VNC on the clients, to set their own password. If the password is changed in the LanView 4 Server options, a reset option is provided to set it back to the default.

The reason behind this change is simple. Previously, anyone who requested the LanView 3 default VNC password would be given it if they met certain criteria. However, once the password was passed on, MST how no way of controlling who had it. This meant it was possible for anyone with a VNC viewer to use it to view the clients on the network.

For LanView 4, no one knows the password as it's completely integrated. No one could possibly need to know the password as the UltraVNC package cannot be installed without LanView 4 Client.

Those who need to know the password will have to use or create their own package.
    You may want to change the default password or use your own package. In this instance, you need to set the VNC password to be used in LanView 4 Server Options.

You cannot change the password in the LanView 4 Client based TightVNC package by an automated method. The password in LanView 4 Options, and the password used by the TightVNC package must match for remote control to work.

The default password used is 16 randomized characters and will not be given out to anyone. MST urge all users to use their own password.
    I uninstalled the Lanview3 client along with TightVNC and installed the Lanview4 client with WinVNC.
    Last edited by Don__1; 28th August 2009 at 02:38 AM.

Thank Post
    I donated to MST lanview, but I never received version four. Did not even know it had finally been sent. Does anyone know where I can download it or would someone be willing to host a download for me?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robp2175 View Post
    I donated to MST lanview, but I never received version four. Did not even know it had finally been sent. Does anyone know where I can download it or would someone be willing to host a download for me?
    Im not going to question your morality but how do we know you donated before we host you a download link?

Thank Post
    Good question, any ideas?

Thank Post
    If you seriously did donate in the past and haven't received LV4 you should contact kevin@mst-software.co.uk. Kevin will check PayPal history and if confirmed should send you a link to download.
    (Mods, if you don't think it is wise to have that address here feel free to remove)

To answer an earlier question on VNC passwords, I deployed LanView 4 in a LanView 3 enviroment and the passwords were the same.

Thank Post
    We are using lan view 4 server with the latest lanview 3 client and we have no problems with the password. We did have to change the windows firewall rule in gpo but nothing major.

Thank Post
    Using Lanview4 Server with Lannview3 clients shouldn't cause any problems with passwords for the TightVNC as the password on the client remains unchanged.
    The newer WinVNC used with a Lanview4 client install uses a different password.

Thank Post
    I haven't got LanView4 VNC wise however there are two routes if you think the password has changed - the VNC registry key password can be easily decrypted or you can set up a clean install of Tight/UltraVNC on another machine, set the password you want, export the registry key for it and import that onto all other client machines to change the password...

Thank Post
    Hi

Just to clarify - LV4 needs the LV4 Client for the VNC to work 'out of the box'.

If you're using an LV3 client, then VNC will not work by default, but you can go into LV4 Server options, and specify the VNC password used on your LV3 clients. This will then work.

Regards

Kevin

13. Thanks to MetalMonkey from:

OutToLunch (16th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Importing from LV Server 3 was a doddle, less then 5 mins to do.

It works fine with our Ultravnc and LV3 clients installed on the computers on site. Tested out the new client and ultravnc but you can't use your old password, you can't even seem to change it. I looked into the configuration files and there is a field for a password, but changing that to what we used before didn't work.

But

What you have to do from what I saw if you want to install the new client, with the new ultravnc you need to go to your lv4 Server go to:

File > Options > VNC

In there is a little hyperlink next to text box labelled 'Reset', click that and it will put in the default password that is configured with the new Ultravnc, then it should start working again. You just gotta install it to all stations.

But again
    Something else we discovered first time we tried the client without taking out the old ultravnc was that our lvserver could still connect to the computer using the old password, so it seems like it did not get overwritten by the exe.

Of course you can optionally choose to not install the ultravnc by going to 'Custom; on the installation

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    hi all,

Does anyone please know if Lanview4 Server runs on 64bit OS ?? Windows 7 ?
    Lanview 3 did not.

Many thanks

Thank Post
    Wouldnt mind knowing this as well.
    We're in the testing phase for our Win7 deployment during summer, and a lack of LanView, be it 3 or 4, on 64bit installs would be a big problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast