+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, ITALC problems in Technical; Well, here I am back again with the same problem. Uninstalled everything and started again. I installed italc on the ...
    Thank Post
    Well, here I am back again with the same problem. Uninstalled everything and started again.
    I installed italc on the master first and exported the keys to a location on my server. Then I installed it on a client and imported the key, which seems to have gone fine.
    But..
    the master computer still cant see the client, whether I add it by IP or name or anything else for that matter.
    No firewalls for definite
    Please can someone help?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    the master computer still cant see the client, whether I add it by IP or name or anything else for that matter.
    Never mind iTALC for a minute - can the master machine itself see the client machines - can the master ping the clients, and vice-versa? Are the machines on the same IP address subnet (do they have the same IP mask)?

--
    David Hicks
    Last edited by dhicks; 17th September 2009 at 11:16 PM.

Thank Post
    We use MAC address along with hostname of each machine. We don't use the hostname with the domain so not sure if that matters.

As for accessing you need to install the master on every computer you want to see clients from. We use the same key for all installs.

If you need another master, copy the keys folder from another master and have it install normally with the master selected. Stop the italc service, and copy/paste replacing the existing files before the services starts back up.

You don't have firewall on your clients or master?

Thank Post
    I have chosen one computer in the IT suite to be 'master' and currently I have only installed the client on the computer next to it.
    No firewalls

Since I reinstalled it, when I try to access the client machine from the master, on the client I get an 'authentication error' - apparently this is to do with the key, and is a step forward as I never got that before. I am going to produce a new master key and export it to the client and see if that works

Thank Post
    And it did!! I'll never know quite why but now it does so that's done then!
    thanks for all your help

Thank Post
    Hmmm - may have spoken too soon
    It wouldnt let me specify the machine just by name, I had to put the IP address in too before it would work. BUT the ip address isnt fixed and could change tomorrow, rendering the system useless!
    Is is best to do MAC address (and if so, where do I get it) and will this work on its own?
    Or am I missing something....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    To get a MAC address, on the local machine navigate to, Start, Run and type cmd.

From the command window type ipconfig /all then press enter. If you have multiple network adapters (such as one wired and one wireless), each will be listed along with its unique MAC address.

To copy the MAC address, click the C:\ at the top left (small black icon), then choose Edit > Mark, click and drag the cursor over the MAC address (it'll highlight white), then click on the same menu and choose Edit > Copy and paste into Notepad for example.

Thank Post
    Done that but it doesnt like it on its own, it still wants the IP address. The one I put in seems to have stayed though but I am worried!
    Another problem - does EVERYONE who logs on have to populate the master screen?
    I initially put the one computer on as manager, only to find it doesnt show when I log on as a staff member. So I added it as the staff member, only to find that it doesnt show when I log on as a different staff member.
    Surely everyone doesnt have to do this?
    How do I get the master settings to be seen by anyone (well, staff anyway) who log on to the computer?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    To get a MAC address, on the local machine navigate to, Start, Run and type cmd.

From the command window type ipconfig /all then press enter. If you have multiple network adapters (such as one wired and one wireless), each will be listed along with its unique MAC address.

To copy the MAC address, click the C:\ at the top left (small black icon), then choose Edit > Mark, click and drag the cursor over the MAC address (it'll highlight white), then click on the same menu and choose Edit > Copy and paste into Notepad for example.
    or do

Code:
    ipconfig /all >\\server\share$\%computername%.txt
    that way you could run it as a startup script come back in a few days and have a file for each pc

Done that but it doesnt like it on its own, it still wants the IP address. The one I put in seems to have stayed though but I am worried!
    Another problem - does EVERYONE who logs on have to populate the master screen?
    I initially put the one computer on as manager, only to find it doesnt show when I log on as a staff member. So I added it as the staff member, only to find that it doesnt show when I log on as a different staff member.
    Surely everyone doesnt have to do this?
    How do I get the master settings to be seen by anyone (well, staff anyway) who log on to the computer?
    i just set it up for me then copied it from my docs and setting folder to my mandatory profile for teachers (if your using roaming/local profiles just copy it to some accessible locationb and script it to copy to their profile on login.
    Last edited by sted; 21st September 2009 at 02:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i just set it up for me then copied it from my docs and setting folder to my mandatory profile for teachers (if your using roaming/local profiles just copy it to some accessible locationb and script it to copy to their profile on login.
    I *think* we have roaming profiles but I am not sure - on the server there is a profile for teachers and one for students (how do I tell?) and I don't know how to script it to do anything on log in - can someone help with words of one syllable...?

if I just have to drop it in to their profile, what do I drop where???

Thanks

Thank Post
    I *think* we have roaming profiles but I am not sure - on the server there is a profile for teachers and one for students (how do I tell?) and I don't know how to script it to do anything on log in - can someone help with words of one syllable...?

if I just have to drop it in to their profile, what do I drop where???

Thanks
    look at what it says under profile for a staff user in active directory users and computers and go there (in my case usually \\server\profiles$\man\staff.man. iirc the files you need to copy are in c:\documents and settings\user\application data\ italc copy to application data in the profile

12. Thanks to sted from:

witch (22nd September 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts
    Ta - I need this too!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    look at what it says under profile for a staff user in active directory users and computers and go there (in my case usually \\server\profiles$\man\staff.man. iirc the files you need to copy are in c:\documents and settings\user\application data\ italc copy to application data in the profile
    In my notes it says that the staff profile is on the C drive on the server, which I have found..BUT there is no 'documents and settings' just straight to application data and no italc folder.
    I am very confused
    Please can you help me? I am stuck until I can get all the staff to be able to see all the italc clients when they log on to the master machine

Thank Post
    In my notes it says that the staff profile is on the C drive on the server, which I have found..BUT there is no 'documents and settings' just straight to application data and no italc folder.
    I am very confused
    Please can you help me? I am stuck until I can get all the staff to be able to see all the italc clients when they log on to the master machine

look at the profile path for your users and copy it to the run box. unless you have already put italc in there it wont be in the profile you have to set it up and then copy it from the user you set it up as (best using an admin with a local profile) to your profiles application data folder i cant make it much simpler than that short of videoing it

Thank Post
    Sorry, I am obviously irritating you but as I said, I have found the profile (and I did it your way too and it took me to the same place) but there is no documents and settings folder even though I have set up the master and one client using a staff log on, and this is where I am confused.
    I can go back and log on as local admin if you think that is better and set up a few clients there, but I still dont see a 'documents and settings' folder to put it in, only application data

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast