+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Using Sharepoint for Incident Reporting - help needed in Technical; Morning all, Looking at using WSS 3 (not full on MOSS) for incident reporting as part of the implementation of ...

Thank Post

Using Sharepoint for Incident Reporting - help needed

Morning all,

Looking at using WSS 3 (not full on MOSS) for incident reporting as part of the implementation of FITS at our study centre. Basically I'm having problems converting principle of the word template for Incident Reporting provided on the Becta site into something more interactive on WSS. I've created a new list to which I can add all the required fields from the original word template. However, if you can recall, the original word template form is split into two parts; one for the incident reporter to fill in, the other for tech support (aka, me!) to complete with feedback as to the ongoing status/resolution of the issue.(http://becta.org.uk/fits/docs/Incide...20template.doc - I'm aware the original form states "Incident Manager" and "Incident Resolver" but the intention is to have non-technical staff themselves report incidents themselves)

So what I'm trying to achieve is that only the first part is visible to the incident reporter, but then once I come to open up the posted incident myself, I'd like to be able to see their incident report PLUS the section for me to fill in with comments. Once my comments/actions have been entered onto the sheet, I want the reporter to be able to see the full form.

I've played around with content types and different user views but still can't get my head around it.

Maybe I'm trying to overcomplicate things by hiding the whole form from the original incident reporter but at the same time my intention is to keep the form as simple as possible for them to fill it. Plus I hate to be beaten by these things!

Any help or other people's experience with this would be much appreciated, many thanks.

Rob.

Thank Post
    Not entirely sure if this will do the trick but you might be able to customise the IT workspace helpdesk template for WSS to your needs... it's designed as a helpdesk app so has the initial problem reporting section then it's picked up by a representative and closed afterwards...

Application Templates for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0

We use it internally for our IT incident logging and it's great This is the whole IT workspace which also includes a Wiki-based Knowledgebase...

Download details: Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Application Template: IT Team Workspace

Just chop around the names for the various items and create your own menu links and it might fit the bill...

3. Thanks to gshaw from:

apearce (12th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Hi Gshaw,

Thanks for this, I do remember experimenting with this before a long time ago but I'd forgotten about it until now. I'll have to have another go with it. In the mean time I think I've found another way to do it although I'm not sure it totally solves the problem of hiding information from the "customer" until later though... Turns out Sharepoint Designer 2007 is now free so I've been playing with creating custom workflows. Means ive been able to get the system to send out email updates rather than the 3-stage task updating workflow that comes in the box.

It'd still be great to hear other solutions around this if anyone else has other ideas.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread