+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Network and Classroom Management Thread, AB Tutor Control v 6 in Technical; Well I edited the MSI file and it installed using group policy with the password and mirror driver settings. I ...
    Thank Post
    Well I edited the MSI file and it installed using group policy with the password and mirror driver settings.

I can't find the abcontrol.dat file on our tutor station but we're V6. If that just sets options that can be set during install then i'm not that bothered.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Well I edited the MSI file and it installed using group policy with the password and mirror driver settings.

I can't find the abcontrol.dat file on our tutor station but we're V6. If that just sets options that can be set during install then i'm not that bothered.

Thanks.
    no it holds the stuff you setup inside the program. Groupings of computers and application policies. perhaps it isnt created straightaway.

Thank Post
    no it holds the stuff you setup inside the program. Groupings of computers and application policies. perhaps it isnt created straightaway.
    Maybe the name has changed I can't find that file and I've go a group set for one of our suites. There is an ABControl.xml I'll take a look at that, I might even have a look at the manual

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Maybe the name has changed I can't find that file and I've go a group set for one of our suites. There is an ABControl.xml I'll take a look at that, I might even have a look at the manual
    that's the one. from the website under v6
    "Most AB Tutor Controls settings (including policies and groups etc.) are stored in a file called ABControl.xml. Under XP this file is located in the folder in which AB Tutor Control was installed, in Vista you'll find this file in c:\program data\abconsulting\ab tutor control. After you have configured one Tutor Control program you can copy this file to other Tutor Control installations so you donít need to re-enter all the settings each time. "

AB Tutor Control Knowledgebase :: Version 6 - Creating a set of policies that can be copied to each tutor workstation

5. Thanks to browolf from:

cookie_monster (9th October 2009)

Thank Post
    One thing that I’ve noticed is that when you use the ABTC6_MST_Creator file to enter the installation details the connection password appears in plain text in the msi so this can be read using orca or similar. You can manually generate an mst file so the password doesn't actually appear in plain text, of course someone could take both files and apply the mst but it's another stumbling block for nosey people.

Unless I've missed something this is a bit of an oversight on behalf of AB Software the password should really be hidden.

EDIT

Removing domain users from NTFS permissions on the msi file and adding domain computers works.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 9th October 2009 at 02:20 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123