+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, powerManager Video in Technical; I recently added some extra features to the alpha version of powerManager. Namely the ability to see local groups and ...
    Thank Post

powerManager Video

I recently added some extra features to the alpha version of powerManager. Namely the ability to see local groups and users when clicking a Windows machine.

Here is a link to a screencast. Alpha version video ?(SlimmerIT)?

The alpha version of the code can also be downloaded from the site, if anyone wants to test it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyx View Post
    I recently added some extra features to the alpha version of powerManager. Namely the ability to see local groups and users when clicking a Windows machine.

Here is a link to a screencast. Alpha version video ?(SlimmerIT)?

The alpha version of the code can also be downloaded from the site, if anyone wants to test it.
    Do you have a license to distribute binaries of VNC Viewer? What's the license for powerManager?

Edit: What about greatsageequalofheaven.jpg?

Edit: Oh, and Jim Wiese's remote execution library?
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 23rd June 2009 at 10:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Do you have a license to distribute binaries of VNC Viewer? What's the license for powerManager?

Edit: What about greatsageequalofheaven.jpg?

Edit: Oh, and Jim Wiese's remote execution library?
    License is Apache 2.0 see SourceForge.net: powerManager for more.

I will not be shipping the binary version realVNC in later releases as the program works will with virtually all versions of VNC anyway.

The bulk of the remote access is done via standard wmi anyway. I will probably use an open source version of psexec that I have been looking at, as it works better with Vista. This will be used for the remote screen shot,rather than Jim's excellent code.(CodeProject: Push and Run .NET Code on Remote Machine. Free source code and programming help the licenese details are listed on the site for all to see.)I do hold all source code for the above project and have modified some of it, but not enough to change the author's name!

The greatsageequalofheaven.jpg is just my bit of fun. It is for testing pruposes only. I am sure if the original copyright holders have an issue they will inform the project. But luckily it is not linked to any key coding

The only other 3rd party plugin is SQLite, but this is full OSS as well.

Have you any feedback on features and look and feel ?

Thank Post
    License is Apache 2.0 see SourceForge.net: powerManager for more.

I will not be shipping the binary version realVNC in later releases as the program works will with virtually all versions of VNC anyway.
    You're shipping it now, though, probably in contravention.

The bulk of the remote access is done via standard wmi anyway. I will probably use an open source version of psexec that I have been looking at, as it works better with Vista. This will be used for the remote screen shot,rather than Jim's excellent code.(CodeProject: Push and Run .NET Code on Remote Machine. Free source code and programming help the licenese details are listed on the site for all to see.)I do hold all source code for the above project and have modified some of it, but not enough to change the author's name!
    1. Wiese does not specify a license (according to CodeProject: Push and Run .NET Code on Remote Machine. Free source code and programming help), so you should assume it is not free.

2. Modifying someone else's source does not give you the right to change the author, unless the resulting source is unrecognisable. Wiese still holds the copyrights.

The greatsageequalofheaven.jpg is just my bit of fun. It is for testing pruposes only. I am sure if the original copyright holders have an issue they will inform the project. But luckily it is not linked to any key coding
    'just my bit of fun' is not a valid excuse for breach of copyright, and it certainly won't stand up in court.

The only other 3rd party plugin is SQLite, but this is full OSS as well.
    Fortunately SQLite is in the public domain, so this is about the only bit you do comply with.

Have you any feedback on features and look and feel ?
    I haven't executed it until a) the licensing problems are resolved, because they implicate me and b) I believe I can trust it.

You have to take this seriously if you're going to develop software.

Thank Post
    Well this thread is beginning to feel like there a troll in the room.

There is a development thread for this type of question

I was asking for feedback on function?

Thank Post
    Well this thread is beginning to feel like there a troll in the room.
    Defining 'troll' round here is just asking for the Most Useless Link award (note: no links here.)

There is a development thread for this type of question

I was asking for feedback on function?
    Perhaps you should have made that clear to begin with? I don't see how legitimate licensing queries fit in with 'please help with my app' either, though.

Feel free to ask for a split if it bothers you that much.

Thank Post
    The RemoteRun code currently runs a single function which allows me to run my own screencapture program remotely. It does not work with Vista though. My current approach will be to code this to use psexec or similar , but not distribute the binaries. psexec works with Windows and Vista. The documentation will explain where to download any third party binaries from.

The current remote access code is release under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 and is contained within the source code that ships with the Code Project. So I am able to distribute this DLL for testing purposes.

I will remove the realVNC binary as I am not 100% sure on this one.

The great sage of heaven will be staying as I have several not returned requests over using the avatar. I owuld even remove the avatar from here as well if the copyright holder ever contacts me to say I can no longer use it.

Given that I released the sourcecode for this project, then people will know exactly what functions and calls the software uses. Can this be said for the closed source nature of other projects?

I hope that resolves the licensing queries for you ?

Thank Post
    The RemoteRun code currently runs a single function which allows me to run my own screencapture program remotely. It does not work with Vista though. My current approach will be to code this to use psexec or similar , but not distribute the binaries. psexec works with Windows and Vista. The documentation will explain where to download any third party binaries from.

The current remote access code is release under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 and is contained within the source code that ships with the Code Project. So I am able to distribute this DLL for testing purposes.

I will remove the realVNC binary as I am not 100% sure on this one.
    The VNC binary is licensed by GPL, so distributing it in the first place isn't a problem - but you must do so in the manner specified by the license. See GPL section 3. It's not clear which version applies, check this with RealVNC.

You can automate obtaining third-party binaries as part of your installer without any problems, you just can't distribute them yourself.

The great sage of heaven will be staying as I have several not returned requests over using the avatar. I owuld even remove the avatar from here as well if the copyright holder ever contacts me to say I can no longer use it.
    That one's still a problem: just because you can't contact the copyright holder, you don't automatically have the right to assume the material is fair game.

Given that I released the sourcecode for this project, then people will know exactly what functions and calls the software uses. Can this be said for the closed source nature of other projects?
    If that's a dig at an automated power-saving application, the author has previously made it perfectly clear that it's closed for a reason. He is not at liberty to release some of the source.

I hope that resolves the licensing queries for you ?
    It's an improvement, so thanks for taking the time to address it. I'll be interested to see how it progresses.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread