+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Network and Classroom Management Thread, EduGeek Classroom Control Toolbar (ECC) First Look in Technical; @PiqueABoo: I'll cover your points one by one, and I do apreciate them... My starting position for any domain management ...
    Thank Post
    @PiqueABoo: I'll cover your points one by one, and I do apreciate them...

My starting position for any domain management app is that AD is where you do everything you possibly can because it is the native central, queryable, nicely replicated domain management database after all.
    Yes I agree however the more intergration you have with AD then "potentially" the more delegation you have to give to those using the toolbar, now talking from exprerience I have come across sites where this is limited technical expertise due to many varying reasons and having to do mass delegation is not an option.

Neither is creating complex ADUC MMC's to do the job. The whole idea is simple to use, simply to deploy, and lightweight.

If people's computer OU's do not reflect physical site topology then it's sad, but..
    Yes very sad but very true, i've seen it.

There is a computer object attribute you can readily find and edit in ADUC specifically intended to hold a location and that can be entered in a user friendly format.
    Again alot sites don't use this. Scenario: I release a toolbar to help users and technical staff make life easier but before you can use theres a fair bit of AD admin you need to do first, people just won't use the toolbar and alot of time, effort, and goodwill will be wasted.

Hands up everyone if you have credible evidence of your proxy settings being reapplied during a policy refresh in the absence of any changes to your GPOs.
    Yes a good point but they are definately reapplied at logon, or have I miss understood the question?

Haven't thought this through, but is the real requirement to block the Internet (which might cause minor collateral damage when done via proxy fiddling e.g. maybe AV uses the IE proxy to get updates), or stop kids running apps they're not supposed to at any given point in time? Would it be more useful as something that stopped IE, Firefox and any other apps? Might write it off if I think about it some more, but I'd have considered a small appinitDLL to kill and sabotage subsequent startup of (temporarily) verboten apps.
    Again the idea was to have a lightweight clientless application.

Question: I'm not clear about where the app that actually disables the net and shuts down a PC runs. Remote APIs, WMI etc., code running permanently on each PC (if so what's the rough memory footprint) or both?
    The application would normally be installed on the teacher PC in a classroom or on admin (IT Support) PCs. The calls are based on classes built into the .Net framework which opens up alot more remote management and connectivity than before (non .Net languages) and the maximum memory footprint we have seen in testing when running shutdown commands on 25 virtual PCs was 4.5Mb and when sitting idle it uses around 1.1Mb

Hope this answers some of the points you raised.
    Last edited by ICTNUT; 2nd June 2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    the more intergration you have with AD then "potentially" the more delegation you have to give to those using the toolbar
    AD is a directory, thus user and computer accounts get to look up (read) most of the stuff we care about by default. In this case I was basically arguing for the 'contents' of rooms to be dynamically read from AD.

Neither is creating complex ADUC MMC's to do the job
    Sure, that's not appropriate in this case ( ADUC context menus = No, above).

Again alot sites don't use this (AD Location - Ed.). Scenario: I release a toolbar to help users and technical staff make life easier but before you can use theres a fair bit of AD admin you need to do first, people just won't use the toolbar and alot of time, effort, and goodwill will be wasted.
    Work creating entries in application specific text files and work filling in ADUC attributes are both work of a roughly similar magnitude. But the latter data is in a better place for any future scripts/apps that care about a room/location.

I don't doubt the prospect of having to do anything in ADUC will be a show-stopper for some folk, but people like that are not why I pay my taxes and the sooner BSF or some equivalent lands on them the better. Seriously. In my experience, which is fairly broad, internet blocking is overwhelmingly Secondary territory and if people looking after 500+ desktop vanilla domains aren't comfortable with ADUC they definitely shouldn't be looking after them.

Yes a good point but they are definately reapplied at logon
    Not for me. This may well depend on mandatory vs. roaming profiles etc. and there are always special cases, but my experience with the defaults for GPO processing says that once a set of GPOs has been applied to a user profile their policies will not be applied again until the version number of one or more of those GPOs changes.

IOW if I'm right and you block via the proxy config I think you only need to worry about the effect of systems which push proxy config out through policy and have "Process even if the Group Policy objects have not changed..", or systems where policies are changed very frequently.

the maximum memory footprint we have seen in testing when running shutdown commands on 25 virtual PCs was 4.5Mb
    Nothing then.. not that I or anyone else will care given that there is no permanent footprint on all the target boxes.

Another question: What happens when a random handful of boxes in a defined room are unreachable when you attempt to do X to them all i.e. how are you working around RPC time-outs? Preliminary pings or something? Absorbing the time-outs with multi-threading?

Thank Post
    Another question: What happens when a random handful of boxes in a defined room are unreachable when you attempt to do X to them all i.e. how are you working around RPC time-outs? Preliminary pings or something? Absorbing the time-outs with multi-threading?
    Anything to do with more than one action on more than one item uses a multi threaded approach.

In the case of anything to do with the target PCs a scout ping is sent out if a response is recieved then the action is performed on the target PC, if no response is recieved then a boolean marker is placed against that PC and a warning image is shown next to its name in order to identify a problem.

Thank Post
    When is this being released out of interest? could of done with it yesterday....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234