+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, EduGeek Classroom Control Toolbar (ECC) First Look in Technical; Originally Posted by FN-GM Allot of IT lessons at our place are 2 and 3 hours at a time, this ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Allot of IT lessons at our place are 2 and 3 hours at a time, this would pose as a problem?

Wouldn't editing the localhost file be better as we talked about at the conf?
    This issue with editing the local hosts file is this would block all internet access. In some schools that I manage they have internal VLEs that would also be blocked by this action so the proxy option was a better one unless someone can tell me otherwise?

Remember HOSTS files do not support wildcards i.e. 127.0.0.1 *

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Allot of IT lessons at our place are 2 and 3 hours at a time, this would pose as a problem?

Wouldn't editing the localhost file be better as we talked about at the conf?

I know i am jumping the Gun here but i have some ideas for new features.

Website banning - Ban websites form the control machine by editing the localhost file on the clients.

Internet banning - Allows teachers to ban a students internet. The app could add the to an AD group that has no internet wither using group policy or webfilter. - Also possibly something on the DC to un-ban them after a certain amount of time.

Locked out accounts - Allow staff to unlock students accounts that are locked out.
    The idea is to try and keep it as simple as possible and as it stands now the app requires no client installed on the PCs for it to work.

Internet banning is easy if it is just a case of adding the user to a banned group in AD although will need to look into what staff delegation in AD is required over and above password changes, this would also be the same for locked accounts.

As far as the HOSTS file is concerned if you start to do this then you will have hosts files littered with entries and what happens if the wrong website is added? remember these are machine wide or are we talking about resetting thefile at the end of each session?

PEO
    Thank Post
    another idea, adm template that is set for each computer room so the teacher machine only picks up the machines in that classroom. That way they can't accidently take over the whole school by mistake.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PEO View Post
    another idea, adm template that is set for each computer room so the teacher machine only picks up the machines in that classroom. That way they can't accidently take over the whole school by mistake.
    Already there, where the application is installed is a folder called rooms and within this can be placed any text file with a PC per line in it. Simpy only add the text file for the room you install the app into.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTNUT View Post
    The idea is to try and keep it as simple as possible and as it stands now the app requires no client installed on the PCs for it to work.

Internet banning is easy if it is just a case of adding the user to a banned group in AD although will need to look into what staff delegation in AD is required over and above password changes, this would also be the same for locked accounts.

As far as the HOSTS file is concerned if you start to do this then you will have hosts files littered with entries and what happens if the wrong website is added? remember these are machine wide or are we talking about resetting thefile at the end of each session?
    Good point, but the group banning and account unlock will be a feature we would use allot.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Looks a really good tool, fine we have range in at present, but this could give better and easier functionality over Ranger as staff often say things like its Internet block doesn't work correctly. I take it for password reset staff just need the change password delegation on AD?

Thank Post
    Using hosts file probably won't work reliably - if you are using an upstream proxy, that will perform DNS lookups.

We SmoothWall folks will be adding "teacher controlled room blocking" in october (FP3) using the teachers' ad credentials. Wonder if Oz might be able to add a "Smoothie control" mode... hmm

8. Thanks to tom_newton from:

john (31st May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Using hosts file probably won't work reliably - if you are using an upstream proxy, that will perform DNS lookups.

We SmoothWall folks will be adding "teacher controlled room blocking" in october (FP3) using the teachers' ad credentials. Wonder if Oz might be able to add a "Smoothie control" mode... hmm
    Sounds good but will it need a proxy restart to take effect like the current room filtering does?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Great work Ozan!! :-) This will come in very useful

Look forward to testing it out

James.

11. Thanks to EduTech from:

ICTNUT (31st May 2009)

Thank Post
    I like this a lot - really looking forward to hopefully testing this!

13. Thanks to rh91uk from:

ICTNUT (31st May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,471 Posts
    It looks very useful - but can I make a request for a grammatical change?

Your sentence: Enter the name of the user....etc is not very clear
    Would it be better as:
    Enter the name of the user whose password is to be changed

I know, I know, I am SO picky

15. Thanks to witch from:

ICTNUT (31st May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    It looks very useful - but can I make a request for a grammatical change?

Your sentence: Enter the name of the user....etc is not very clear
    Would it be better as:
    Enter the name of the user whose password is to be changed

I know, I know, I am SO picky

Done.

Thank Post
    Are you planning to make open source?

I am working on a very similar tool to this which is almost ready for release. Just need to document!!!! It has remote screen shot, and quite a few other features without needing client. My client integrates with AD and/or netbios to show live view of logged in users etc.

If you are able to make code open source it would be useful to share ideas and code?

Let me know what you think.

Thank Post
    This is an edugeek application, it is being developed on behalf of EduGeek, and yes the idea would be to release it as open source.

When the open source version would be released I don't know but like most of the apps that are being developed for edugeek (by us OP Software) are being done for free and will be provided for free for all to use.

Ultimately it will be down to the guys running EduGeek to decide when to open source any of the apps, ideally once it is stable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTNUT View Post
    This is an edugeek application, it is being developed on behalf of EduGeek, and yes the idea would be to release it as open source.

When the open source version would be released I don't know but like most of the apps that are being developed for edugeek (by us OP Software) are being done for free and will be provided for free for all to use.

Ultimately it will be down to the guys running EduGeek to decide when to open source any of the apps, ideally once it is stable.
    Thanks for the reply but not sure I understand what you mean by "Edugeek project". To me open source is collaborative development through sharing source code and ideas.

Anyhow just thought you may be interested in collaborating, but I want to keep my project in open source domain, so I guess we will not be

Good luck with the project

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast