+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Advice - State school processes in Technical; Hi there, I've recently moved from an Independent school to a state one and would like to know what the ...
    Thank Post

Advice - State school processes

Hi there,

I've recently moved from an Independent school to a state one and would like to know what the processes are for making a case to a board of governors for change.

Also with regards to potential suppliers, what/how do you compare/decide which company to use?

Many thanks

Thank Post
    What sort of a change? Is this something you have been asked to do by the Senior Management? I think my HT would be pretty miffed if I went over his head.

As to suppliers, we all have our favourites. There are some great ones who help support this site, SCL for example. I'm just about to order a load of projector bulbs from them. I also use Misco and MIT Technology in Birmingham. It's the companies that give the extra bit of service that tend to get my business.

3. Thanks to laserblazer from:

bodminman (17th May 2009)

Thank Post
    The process for making a case to governors, go see your head teacher. They type of change will depend on if Governors need to be involved.

5. Thanks to danIT from:

bodminman (17th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Hi there and thanks for the replies so far.

It's a change that the HT wants and I fully support it.

However, I was warned that I would have to put the case forward to the GovB to get nod for spending the cash and to justify the supplier(s) chosen. This is something that I done at the independent school but I think the process maybe different as we are spending public money.

Any pointers are as always very much appreciated.

Cheers

Thank Post
    In our school if the head supports it (IT wise) then there's no need to go to the governors.

The annual budgets go to governors and that's about it.

Choosing a supplier is done without any consultation, just have to be inside the schools policies / procedures for purchasing.

It would have to be something very significant to warrant more than this, perhaps if we were RM and planned ditching it, maybe but probably not even then.

Unless of course you have a governor who has a specific interest in the IT at the school, then the head might like to keep them on-board.

Anyhow, I'd cut the technical details to a minimum and focus on the teaching and learning benefits. Also mention the total cost over the life of the plan, not just the initial cost.
    Last edited by steve; 17th May 2009 at 01:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bodminman View Post
    However, I was warned that I would have to put the case forward to the GovB to get nod for spending the cash and to justify the supplier(s) chosen. This is something that I done at the independent school but I think the process maybe different as we are spending public money.
    I doubt it. I've worked in independent and state schools and I used the same process: a short paper outlining the change, and giving a costing analysis and justifying it.

Thank Post
    If its over a certain amount at our school it has to go to the board.... but I have no idea how you go about it.... As i've never spent that much on a solo devolpment project...

Thank Post
    If it's a large project then the Governors create a sub-committee. We are lucky in having some people with good skills on the board and they are largely very supportive.

Things you need to cover include:

How much it will cost
    Who you will ask to quote (normally a minimum of three suppliers)
    How it will benefit the school
    Any on-going costs (annual licence, maintenance contracts, consumables)
    Lifespan of the product.
    Replacement programme.

11. Thanks to laserblazer from:

bodminman (18th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have done this a couple of times for large purchases and priority shifts in the budget. The way I have always done it is to write a report outlining the current situation (the issue) and what this means to the school in real terms. I then provide the options and costings and how each option would affect the school. This report should be breif but explain the situation in real terms at a level appropriate to the audience, it should explain the sruff that needs explaining quickly and clearly.

The report should be sent out with the board notes for their upcomming meeting so that they can read it in their own time before the meeting. In most cases I end up organising to go before the board at the meeting, offering a short summary and answering any questions that they may have.

In my experience this method works well, I would talk to your Head teacher about organising the paperwork to where it needs to go and getting time for a quick presentation to solidify it at the meeting.

Disclaimer: This is from a New Zealand prospective, your managment structures could be different but the above information should still apply.

13. Thanks to SYNACK from:

bodminman (18th May 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread