+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, RM CC3 Driver Packages in Technical; Ok, so slightly strange question I guess If, for example you have a sound driver (I'm thinking the Microsoft High ...

Thank Post

RM CC3 Driver Packages

Ok, so slightly strange question I guess

If, for example you have a sound driver (I'm thinking the Microsoft High Def stuff) and Realtek on for example a laptop, that doesn't get picked up from the Drivers of the build area, and doesn't seem to pick up no matter what, then is it possible to set up one of the laptops as a build machine, create a package for the sound driver, and then use his to apply to all the other laptops...

OR, does this cause problems with regards to the files it would install for other machines?

Would this be OK to do with certain graphics, and standalone printers too?

Hope this makes sense...

Thank Post
    I don't see a problem with this.

I've just set up a Dell PC as a build machine because the drivers for it will only install on a Dell machine, so I have made it a build machine and created the drivers packages for the Dell PCs on this workstation and it all works fine.

If you are building a laptop as a build machine, it might be worth telling the build process that it is a desktop rather than a notebook, as it is only to capture the drivers, it won't (shouldn't) affect anything else.

Thank Post
    Add your drivers to the build area....the following has been pasted from their tech articles. If you havent got RM Support recommend that you get some...when CC3 is working its fantastic....when it goes wrong...liable to bring on heart attacks!!!!!!

Symptoms

Introduction

This document explains how to add drivers using the RM Station Build Manager. It covers both adding DOS drivers so that the build disk will connect with the server and adding XP drivers to be installed during the unattended install.

Procedure

Adding drivers

Log on to the server as an Administrator.
    Open RM Station Build Manager from Start\Programs\RM Workstation Rebuild at the server.
    The Drivers Folder will be displayed in the tree view in left hand pane and can be expanded to show the drivers that have been installed for Microsoft® Windows® XP OS (and any later OS) as well as the DOS network drivers.

Select Build Disk Network Card. The right hand pane will display the list of installed drivers. This pane displays the user given name with a driver icon and description and the driver date. These are DOS network drivers that can be selected by the custom build disks.
    Select Windows XP, the left hand pane will be expanded to show a list of the type of XP drivers that you can add (Sound, Display, Motherboard, Network, Other, Scsi). When a driver type is selected such as Display the right hand pane will display 2 columns, the user given name and description. Drivers can be deleted by right clicking the driver and selecting delete.
    To add a driver right click the left hand pane on one of the types (ie Sound) and select Add Driver. The following screen is displayed:

XP Drivers that are added by RM updates are stored in: d:\RMNetwork\RMManage\RMRebuild\XPBuild\RMdrv. Updates that are added for specific sites are added to the CUDrv folder.

When adding XP drivers you need to browse to the path where the .inf file for the drivers you want to install is located, the contents of this folder and all sub-folders will be copied to the CUDrv folder.

Adding network card drivers

When a driver is added by right clicking 'Build Disk Network Cards' or 'Network' (NET) the following dialog is displayed.

The driver name is limited to eight characters, this is because its used via DOS, although XP drivers for the network card can also be added using this screen. The folder containing the DOS network driver must contain a .DOS file and a protocol.ini file. On clicking OK the fields are checked and if an error is found the relevant field is highlighted and the dialog remains displayed. The checks that are made are:

Check that the driver name does not exist.
    Check that the folder given for the drivers contains an .inf or a .DOS and protocol.ini file.
    Check that the driver name does not contain any illegal characters.
    If the information on the dialog is acceptable a copy of the driver is made. A new folder is created with the name c_givenName and the driver files from the given folder are copied into this folder.
    The DOS drivers for the build disks are stored in D:\RMNetwork\RMManage\RMRebuild\Build Manager\dosdrv.

Thank Post
    Yeah, we have got full RM support, and I have tried adding the drivers as you are supposed to (as they say in the article) - but one of the Sound Drivers doesn't seem to add the high def thing as required so we had to manually install it on all the machines, we had to do the same with some laptops as they didn't pick up the graphics properly.

Hence my original question as to what would happen creating a package instead.

Thank Post
    Have you installed the KB888111 fix?

Have a look on RM.com at DWN1398843

Thank Post
    I also believe there is a limit on how many drivers you can have in the build process according to a top techie that helped us out.

Thank Post
    Some sound drivers don't install by just pointing windows to the .inf's - some need to have the bloaty software installed too

Have you tried a driver straight from the manufacturers website? (ie realtek or intel?)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread