+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, managed Wireless and raduis in Technical; For a While now i have experiencing strange problems, Which for the life of me i cannot figure out. Basically ...

Thank Post

managed Wireless and raduis

For a While now i have experiencing strange problems, Which for the life of me i cannot figure out. Basically we have 3 netgear smart switches and a raduis server and mix of xp and vista laptops.

i use WPA\ Peap for security with no certificate valadation for now as i removed this to see if the certificate was causing the problem. Wireless settings are being applyed by Gpo.

the problem is the laptop will connect to the wireless and succesfully connect to the raduis server as stated in the system logs, but the laptop will get a Apipa (169.254). On the Netgear console i can see that the laptop has a Apipa address. If i cable in the laptop and reboot then this seems to cure the problem for a while.

i dont know if this is a network issues or a problem with my raduis or maybe the Netgear smart switches.

im running out of ideas now.

* this only happens to about 10% of the laptops and its random, 90% of users connect just fine
    Last edited by mtdmitchell; 6th May 2009 at 01:34 PM.

Thank Post
    You may find you can get a lot of diagnostic information if you enable tracing:

netsh ras set tracing * enable issued from a command prompt on the client will reveal an incredible amount of detail about what is going on.... this all gets logged in a folder called tracing in the windows directory. In our case the RASCHAP log revealed all.... and a bit of research in the www pointed to KB904943 and problems with machine only authentication.

Remember to turn the tracing off afterwards

3. Thanks to broc from:

mtdmitchell (7th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    You may find you can get a lot of diagnostic information if you enable tracing:

netsh ras set tracing * enable issued from a command prompt on the client will reveal an incredible amount of detail about what is going on.... this all gets logged in a folder called tracing in the windows directory. In our case the RASCHAP log revealed all.... and a bit of research in the www pointed to KB904943 and problems with machine only authentication.

Remember to turn the tracing off afterwards
    Thanks for the reply, i will try it tomorrow

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread