+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, WinSuite Help Please in Technical; tried from H:\ being mapped to \phserver1\rollnt$ and changing the logon script to the same and it's still not working ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    tried from H:\ being mapped to \\phserver1\rollnt$ and changing the logon script to the same and it's still not working - get same message

Thank Post
    Have you tried calling NDI Tech Support? I know it's a sort of failure admission but I found them to be very good when we used winsuite.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we don't know if we are licenced and if we aren't then we don't want to be made to buy one. I will try our County IT support - see if they can help as they put it in origionally

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry for the confusion - the error in your screenshot was the one I was asking about. Had this come up quiet a few times at the last school. Never did work out why, seemed almost random.

What we did find is re-installing WinSuite on the server fixed the problem (until it happened again). There have been times when I've had to re-install WinSuite 2/3 times to install it in a room of 30 machines.

Re-installing WinSuite on the server will not effect any existing client installs, so you don't need to re-install the clients, just the server copy.

You won't loose any settings if you back up the config folder first and use this to overwrite the config in the new installation.

Also you should have a licence file somewhere otherwhys it will not let you install the client to more than 5 machines.

Thank Post
    I did contact Winsuite2000 tech support about this issue when I was there. The response was as tmcd35 said. Remove the folder. That was not a viable option in February last when it first started happening, and obviously it's started again. In the end we had to Ghost an existing image onto the machines that needed updating.

Winsuite is / should be licensed throughout the school. There should also be a enough teachers licenses for 4 teachers.

If you have any problems with the school stuff just give send me a PM on here aor email me via the KES ictc account.

6. Thanks to ninjabeaver from:

DAckroyd (20th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to EduGeek Alex,

The not so simple answer to your question is Active Directory Group Policy Objects (AD GPO's for short). These are a standard feature of Windows Server and is how professional versions of M$ Windows are supposed to be secured/maintained.

WinSuite was originally a method of allowing Windows 98 (not a professional version Windows) to also be controlled in a similar by a Windows Server. Since Windows 98 was replaced with Windows XP Professional a lot of schools have been left with this legacy app getting in the way of their security settings - Grrrr.

Just about everything WinSuite ever did can be done, and usually with greater control, from within AD. The settings can be found within 'AD Users and Computers'. Right-click an 'Organisational Unit' and click 'Properties'.

If you haven't played with these setting before get a good book on Windows 2003 Server, have a read through the structure - most of it makes sense when you look at it. Don't actually change anything until you are sure of what you want to achieve.

The best starting point - which is what I'm in the middle of doing here - is setting up a seperate test network with a test server, test domain and some test clients. You can then experiment and work out exactly what settings you need to change to get the results you are after for your desktop.

I'm looking at implementing such things as Mandatory Profiles, Start Menu redirection and Desktop folder redirection. I now have the students desktop pretty well tied down - can't see/access the C: drive, can only run programs in the start menu, etc.

If you have any further questions, want more help, advise, etc do hesitate to PM me.

Terry.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12