+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Anyone got a CC3 network that they're happy with - and could I come see it? in Technical; The school I work in has been running a vanilla Windows Server network ever since switching from Novell many, many ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts

Anyone got a CC3 network that they're happy with - and could I come see it?

The school I work in has been running a vanilla Windows Server network ever since switching from Novell many, many years ago. Other schools that we've worked with have often been unhappy with their Community Connect networks and have come to us to help them go 'vanilla'.

However, it's obvious that plenty of schools must be running a Community Connect network without any problems, or RM simply wouldn't be in business. Since I've never seen a fully functional one that wasn't in the process of being dismantled in a blizzard of criticism, I'm wondering whether anyone here who runs CC3 and is perfectly happy with it would mind me popping in to see you for a few hours one day to see how it all works?

This may seem like an odd request, but it's simply borne out of curiosity. I've read plenty of posts here about various management systems and am interested to see how the 'other half' lives! I work in Buckinghamshire and live in Berkshire, so somewhere in that region would be ideal.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 3rd April 2009 at 09:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've been running RM CC3 successfully since 2002 - still on the original installation, on Windows 2000 servers and XP clients. North-east England.

3. Thanks to webman from:

AngryTechnician (4th April 2009)

Thank Post
    RM CC3 here, with no issues. Windows 2003 servers, XP clients, OSX clients, X-Server, FreeBSD webserver integrated via LDAP, Trapeze managed wireless system... Wakefield, West Yorkshire - feel free to come visit... altho bit of a trek.

5. Thanks to Marci from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We ran a working CC3 network. We never had any major problems. Yes things went wrong (SR4 anyone?) - but otherwise even our field trials and early adoption software went well.

To me it all came down to how much people want to understand CC3. We did a lot with CC3 and the reason we did a lot of the field trials was to get access to the designers and engineers. This was great as we often slipped in other questions to them.

We are now vanilla - everything is good.

GJE

Thank Post
    Been running shweet for the last 4 years. Bit far from you though!

TBH, in my humble oppinion the only way you could possibly ruin CC3 is either through bad managment of it (i.e not keeping up to date with patches etc), or from consistant tinkering with the active directory. - but then evern Connect 2 ran like clockwork for me (and lots of people moaned about that) so maybe I'm just blessed by the RM gods :P

Butuz

8. Thanks to Butuz from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 797 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed, most of my schools are CC3 and the only issues I've had to really mop up is due to bad package building and servers not being kept up to date previously. I've recently helped set up a vanilla system at one school and the difference is amazing - i.e. how much less work there is to do on a CC3 system once it's up and running. There's good support for both systems on T'Internet so that's not really an issue either way. I've certainly seen people be very happy with CC3 once they've moved from vanilla as it meant they could ditch a permanent techy from site (not good for the techy, though!). Thats something that depends on the size of the site though.

Thank Post
    I think it would also be important to ask for the backgrounds of the schools / network management teams which are being asked the question.

An RM connect network might get a positive report from a school / manager, but have the school / manager experienced anything else? Are they comparing their product to a well-managed dynamic vanilla system?

I come from an RM background, but moved to Vanilla and never looked back. You are only restricted by the bounderies of your own knowledge.

11. Thanks to mb2k01 from:

synaesthesia (4th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    An RM connect network might get a positive report from a school / manager, but have the school / manager experienced anything else? Are they comparing their product to a well-managed dynamic vanilla system?
    That's exactly the comparison I'd like to make myself. The vast majority of my experience is with vanilla systems, so I'd like something to compare it to. I'm not looking for the holy grail of RM installations, just one that the people using it don't have noticeable problems with.

Thanks for the offers so far; they are a fair distance from me, but I will bear them in mind!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you can make it to Leicestershire I have a smooth running CC3 network in a medium sized primary school you are more than welcome to take a look at.

Off on hols today but around after a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 4th April 2009 at 12:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    But if it works, does this really matter?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    But if it works, does this really matter?
    I guess it depends who you ask that question to.
    If you ask it to the network team managing it, probably not.
    If you ask the teachers who know nothing else, then probably not.
    If you ask someone who has experience of both and wants to ensure overall best value + real-world experience of using IT for learners, then it probably does, yes.

Thank Post
    Everythign has been running fine here since 2004. We are CC3 with 150 workstations and two servers. The key to a good network is keping the servers updated and good package creation and documentation of all the settings made. Only had a few glitches and there has always ben a good explanation. On the whole I have found the software to be very good and the technical support to a very high standard.

The big advantage for the school is if I leave, RM can take over the running of the network to the next person who takes over. If this was a vanilla network I would take my knowlege with me and anyone taking over woudl have to be very skilled and would have no support from RM to keep the netwokr ticking over with their software whilst trying to unravel and understand the underlying workings of the system.

Youre welcome to come visit. We are in Gillingham, Kent.

Thank Post
    We are based in the north east of england too. 4 RM Servers and 850 clients - no problems what so ever and don't have any support with RM or the LA.

All support is done in-house - just shows how straight forward it is to use and manage IMO.

18. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

webman (21st April 2009)

Thank Post
    I come from a vanilla background to a CC3 network and I absolutely hate it. So many niggly things that stop you doing the most straightforward tasks. I find it flakey and unreliable. Also it has taken me a lot of time to adjust to this type of network, if it was vanilla I would have picked it up in a heartbeat.

I salute those that have a stable CC3 and enjoy it, I just can't see how you can.

Thank Post
    Care to explain the niggly, flaky and unreliable a bit further Outpost? Some of us here may actually be able to help!

Butuz

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast