+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Anyone got a CC3 network that they're happy with - and could I come see it? in Technical; Outpost are you using the RM features/tools wherever possible to apply settings? If you start adding vanilla stuff into the ...
    Thank Post
    Outpost are you using the RM features/tools wherever possible to apply settings? If you start adding vanilla stuff into the network you may be damaging or conflicting with the RM software/settings, thus creating problems for yourself.

Thank Post
    Hi All,

Thanks for your responses, I'll try and explain on the next post (going home now)but suffice to say even the engineers have had tough times sorting our problems out.
    I am keeping away from meddling with Active Directory and just using the RM console.

Thank Post
    Following on from yesterdays post and I apologise for being negative on what is a positive thread.

Niggle 1

Moving users to another server,

Several times I've heard how painless this is and in theory it should be, but in practice there are error messages such as 'file already exists' or whatever and reading the solution on RM it says I have to 'cut' the offending files and put them back in after the move, that'll take me months.
    I've tried deleting the whole work area and then moving the account but it doesn't move correctly. I still have to go in to Active Directory to correct their profile and Home directory settings.

Niggle 2

Profiles.

Regularly we have students with corrupt profiles, easyish to fix, reset profile in RM console and delete local profile on machine if it's there as well to make sure. Some kiddies take advantage as they have a semi admin account when that happens and cause mischief.

Niggle 3

Rebuilds.

We are now having to build to Windows first and then commision them afterwards. We have had the engineers spending huge amounts of time on this and they finally fixed it for one type of F-series. Trouble is we have a large vareity of computers and the build process can only accomadate a limited amount of machines.

Niggle 4

RM console.

This just packs up for no reason, usually a ISSreset helps but not always, touch wood it has behaved itself recently.

Niggle 5

Privilaged users.

This works ok but I always forget to add it to a staff machine.

Niggle 6

Speed.

A CC3 network is a fair bit slower on the loading and booting up sequence and on older machines it's several minutes. Unfortuntely we do have a LOT of old machines and this seems to exacerbate the problems with profiles and missed mapped drives, for example if they click on the Start button too early it can cause problems (documented on RM support as well)

Niggle 7

Costs.

It's jolly expensive and I'm loathe to stop the critical contracts because I don't have faith in the RM system being stable. In my previous position (vanilla) the ongoing support was a quarter of the costs for the same amount of servers. Commissioning is pretty steep as well. This has definately curtailed development of the IT systems in our school.
    Going CC4 will be an absolute no-no, we can't afford it.

Niggle 8

Being behind the curve, not really a niggle but an observation. You need to test everything is compatable with RM first before going ahead with any plans you may have. Server 2008 ok?? Virtualisation?? I don't know.

Niggle 9

Software restrictions.

This is hit and miss at the best of times. It can work for many exe's like game emualtors for example but can I stop desktop screensavers like Family Guy from screenmates, no. No matter what I try it still runs.
    It could be me being a half-wit but why does it work for one exe and not another?

I know many of the problems have workarounds and when I have time I'll try and implement some of them but why should I have to. I visit the RM support pages frequently and it seems full to the brim with articles on getting round problems. Problems that shouldn't be there.

I can see how an RM network would be a great benefit to a school and I notice that many of you have managed that but I'm not in that position unfortunately and to get to that stage will take a lot of time (and maybe money), time that I don't have.
    I'm not advocating how great a vanilla set up is, it certainly has its problems. But I'm sure, in my case anyway, this network would have been less troublesome being vanilla.
    Last edited by Outpost; 23rd April 2009 at 05:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Nice working system here in MK. In fact, I have worked with RM systems for 13+ years now in different schools and have never had a problem with any of their systems and that includes some failrly extensive systems.

(ok, RM Net 3.1 was a bit hit and miss at times, but apart from that ...)

Thank Post
    We have a stable CC3 network. Seems the core is quite stable, we have had few probs. The corrupt profile thing is very common it seems here but thats about it. Yeah logons on older machines is a problem on some of our old ones we were looking at 30 mins or so before a usable windows was there but thats the extreme of it. The networks never seem to be that exciting though, small storage servers and most of the products here are RM as once your in they only support their own range of products :s But saying that our network (touch wood) is very stable

Thank Post
    But you can't buy a CC3 network now can you?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Thanks all so far for the various offers, it's much appreciated. stevenewman, you're by far the closest to me; I'll be in touch by PM to see if we can arrange something.

PiqueABoo: not sure if your question was aimed at me, but the reason I asked abut CC3 and not CC4 was because I'm well aware of the number of people who've had trouble with CC4 and wanted to give RM a fair crack of the whip despite the various criticism that are levelled at them. Fewer people seem to have problems with CC3.

Thanks again all!
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 24th April 2009 at 09:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Fewer people seem to have problems with CC3.
    Absolutely, although a judgement based on a relatively old and non-available product is arguably too generous.

Behind the RM console, CC3 is just another Windows config albeit a seriously developed one, the extra RM code is mostly stable, and if you know enough Windows you can work with the system - it's fine.

CC4 has ridiculous overheads (450MB RAM to manage an OS that gets by with 125MB!) and with or without the bugs it is much more proprietory. Some of the routinely ignorant mud I've seen thrown at CC3 would stick to CC4.

Thank Post
    With regards to Niggle 9 if you ahve standard users and standard workstation security then exes should be blocked. If children are installing software then there has to be a loophole somewhere. What path rules are set up in the Managent Console? If the previous person lifted the security on loads of folder then thats how users are running the installs.

Thank Post
    Well ReverentCreature thats a distinct possibility, when I took over there was a 1 character password policy in place. I think there has been years of neglect shall we say.

I want to rip it all out and start again.

Thank Post
    If I was in your shoes I would do the following:

1. RM provide a server helathcheck service. Id phone up and ask about it. They can remote into your server using www.logmein123.com and take a look at the server settings and check that everything is as it should be.

2. Id be tempted to revert all users back to the default staff and student user types and revert the stations back to the standard security types too. These are types that have a padlock icon next to them in the console. Maybe just do this for a room or a small group of users. If all the software seems to be working okay then roll the rest back and go from there.

3. Try and find out what software is used and where and how its installed at the server (package/VCD)? Deallocate and delete anything thats not used or is faulty.

4. Roam through your users, enforce stronger passwords if you can and check group memberships. Eradicate shared accounts. Its best if everyone has a personal logon.
    Last edited by ReverentCreature; 8th May 2009 at 02:54 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12