+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, RM CC3 or CC4 in Technical; Am having to make a decision about our new server. We are a one form entry primary school currently still ...

Thank Post

RM CC3 or CC4

Am having to make a decision about our new server. We are a one form entry primary school currently still on an RM Storebox and need to upgrade to the 21st century. Have heard CC3 may not give us all the functionality we need and don't know enough about CC4. Can anyone give me advice on whether we should opt for CC3, CC4 or do you know of any other possible server network options?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adeasha View Post
    Have heard CC3 may not give us all the functionality we need and don't know enough about CC4.
    What functionality do you need?

Thank Post
    If your only considering the two options mentioned CC3 will do more and above what you are probably wanting to implement.

Some people have had issues with CC4 and its not the finished article yet, but those that haven't had issues have installed a fresh install rather then a server upgrade so you could also go down that route also.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you considered just plain Windows?

Thank Post
    I don't think you can get CC3 now. They're less likely to show up so often on a small system, but CC4 has the same bugs whether it's an upgrade or new install, The show-stopper may well be the realistic hardware specification you need for decent performance on CC4 system PCs/Laptops - if they're good enough to run Vista well they will be as good as it gets - something like a three year old box with 512MB RAM is the absolute minimum.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Be interesting to hear what kind of fuctionallity you mean... i think if you have the option i would look into plain windows if these meets the fuctionality you require...

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    If your only considering the two options mentioned CC3 will do more and above what you are probably wanting to implement.

Some people have had issues with CC4 and its not the finished article yet, but those that haven't had issues have installed a fresh install rather then a server upgrade so you could also go down that route also.

Our current server is short on memory so need additional space to load new software centrally for all stations and do back ups regularly. Also need to have connection to the borough data centre for remote maintenance. And would also like teacher control for the pupil pcs in the suite. Will CC3 provide all this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1 View Post
    What functionality do you need?

Our current server is short on memory so need additional space to load new software centrally for all stations and do back ups regularly. Also need to have connection to the borough data centre for remote maintenance. And would also like teacher control for the pupil pcs in the suite. Will CC3 provide all this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Have you considered just plain Windows?
    We are an 'RM' school - and it is unlikely that we will change. Not sure if RM would support a solution other than CC3 or CC4? Or am I missing the point? Do you know of anyone who has gone down this road?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adeasha View Post
    Yes all the above with a new server ideally for the space and memory issue. The teachers could control the pupil PC's either using RM Tutor or ABControl etc which are both additonal cost.

11. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

adeasha (31st March 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am running CC3 now and we are able to do all the things you are after.
    it sounds like a new server is likely to be needed. As previously stated I do not think you can still buy CC3 from RM. I see you are a small school and probabbly have most of your support provided by an external company as there maybe a lack of technical/time within the school itself.

On my CC3 network I have daily full backups to a tape device this enables you to take the data tape off site incase of a physical diaster at the school. I use RM Tutor to provide the staff with the ability to control the student desktops with classrooms and keep the students on task (as much as possible).

In respect to connecting to a LEA data centre this will require some server configuration and a broadband internet connection (presumabley provided by your lea) and some software.

Something else thats worth considering is the requirement to upgrade the classroom pc's
    if you move to CC4 the the chances are that the majority of classroom machines will need some upgrades or to be replaced. I have heard from some people within RM that CC4 places quite a strain on the classrooms pcs as well as the servers.

You may also want to check out the licencing costs associated with a move to CC4.

I would suggest that you create some more solid idears as to what exactly is reqired. Think about things like,

1) the ammount of storage space you will need in 5 years time and aim to buy that much now or install a sysyem where the capacity of the servers (or storage device) can be upgraded easily and cheaply.

2) Plan out the functionality the users are expecting ! the last thing you want is the functionality that the users are used to not being avaliable (they will percieve it as a downgrade)

3) I have often found that major IT work is best carried out with the involvement of the SLT etc to lead the project and encourage its use within the rest of the teaching body.

4) Make sure that if you are using an external support company that you speak to them and make sure that they are able to support what ever is installed.

That just a few of the things to watch out for.

Thank Post
    Sounds good - have you had CC3 for long - are there any glitches at all? Are you a primary school - how many workstations are on your server?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soapyfish View Post
    I am running CC3 now and we are able to do all the things you are after.
    it sounds like a new server is likely to be needed. As previously stated I do not think you can still buy CC3 from RM. I see you are a small school and probabbly have most of your support provided by an external company as there maybe a lack of technical/time within the school itself.

On my CC3 network I have daily full backups to a tape device this enables you to take the data tape off site incase of a physical diaster at the school. I use RM Tutor to provide the staff with the ability to control the student desktops with classrooms and keep the students on task (as much as possible).

In respect to connecting to a LEA data centre this will require some server configuration and a broadband internet connection (presumabley provided by your lea) and some software.

Something else thats worth considering is the requirement to upgrade the classroom pc's
    if you move to CC4 the the chances are that the majority of classroom machines will need some upgrades or to be replaced. I have heard from some people within RM that CC4 places quite a strain on the classrooms pcs as well as the servers.

You may also want to check out the licencing costs associated with a move to CC4.

I would suggest that you create some more solid idears as to what exactly is reqired. Think about things like,

1) the ammount of storage space you will need in 5 years time and aim to buy that much now or install a sysyem where the capacity of the servers (or storage device) can be upgraded easily and cheaply.

2) Plan out the functionality the users are expecting ! the last thing you want is the functionality that the users are used to not being avaliable (they will percieve it as a downgrade)

3) I have often found that major IT work is best carried out with the involvement of the SLT etc to lead the project and encourage its use within the rest of the teaching body.

4) Make sure that if you are using an external support company that you speak to them and make sure that they are able to support what ever is installed.

That just a few of the things to watch out for.

Great advice thanks. You are right about the involvement of the SLT as currently I am being told no money - and yet if we don't move fast I think we are in danger of the system falling apart. I am arranging meetings between th LEA and Head to move this forward. I agree that we need to consider our needs for the next few years so will definitely take into account your suggestions but it sounds like CC3/4 is OK and robust. I'll check with RM if they still install CC3. We are currently supported by the LEA so there should not be an issue with support. Thanks very much!

Thank Post
    CC4 places quite a strain on the classrooms pcs as well as the servers.
    Asbsolutely, not to mention the person trying to support it (subject to their enthusiasm for doing a good job of that).

16. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

adeasha (31st March 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am not a primary school I have 450 clients 9 servers although 4 domain controllers.

I used to work in primary schools all over Herts county and one of the biggest problems they all faced was time and money. so a windows domain is good whether it is RM or a vanilla network but they need alot more understanding than a storebox system and more time to boot.

Don't forget the training implications of a new system !

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast