+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, MST Software Closed in Technical; I have re-built my computer and i have lost the LanView Server installer!! Can i dowload it? I have got ...
    Thank Post

Can i still download!

I have re-built my computer and i have lost the LanView Server installer!! Can i dowload it? I have got the client installed around the network. Also i donated and got the extra program any chance i can get that back to.

Cheers
    Damien

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFairbrother View Post
    Then very well, let them "get their hands on what they want", but the only use for donations now is keeping the hosting and domain available and we have donations to last us a little while.

Myself and Kevin spoke and came to the agreement that people had the opportunity to donate when MST was open. LanView 4 is now a thank you to those people who helped keep MST running, by kindly donating. It would be unfair to those people, who supported us because they wanted to when we were open, to allow people to donate now - just because we've closed and they won't receive the software they were expecting.

We have no need to take advantage of people wanting to donate. It isn't and never was about money.
    So if it isn't about money, why are you only giving it to those who provided money?

I'm personally not interested in the LV4 software (or any other version of LV) so I'm not having a go here. All I'm saying is there's still plenty of people wanting the software and are willing to pay/donate to get their hands on it. Surely it's far better in your pockets than in some News Groups pockets?

If the money means nothing to you why can't you sell the software and donate the cash to Red Nose Day or something.

It's all good and well 'thanking' your supporters but in effect you'll be giving the product to everybody in time, for free.

As I've just said, I'm not having a go by any means - it was just a suggestion. Thank your supporters by offering free software. Charge the others for the privilege.

Thank Post
    Does anyone have a full list of the console commands for Lanview? everytime i used the console i just used the refrence from the net, now it's not there and i'm a bit stuck.

Also, i'm trying to find user extractor so if the existing software was made available for download it would be a great help. I've only just started to get some time to start using Lanview properly, and am now wishing i'd downloaded user extractor when i didn't know that i needed it, but i'm not in the habbit of downloading software that i don't know what it would be useful for. Bad move on my part.

Thank Post
    Cant say I've really used the software so Im not on either side here, but why on earth, when people find the software so useful, just completely withdraw it and not allow the old versions to be hosted elsewhere?? What a waste

Thank Post
    I am pretty much in the same boat, i dont have a copy of vnc slideshow on my machine, i relied on being able to download, i know stupid thing to do.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Cant say I've really used the software so Im not on either side here, but why on earth, when people find the software so useful, just completely withdraw it and not allow the old versions to be hosted elsewhere?? What a waste
    Agreed this is a terrible waste and I can't really understand the stance that is being taken but ultimately its up to the owners to decide what to do with their software; we might not understand the reasons behind it but if they want the software to die and not help anyone else, its their call

edit: hadn't thought about the documentation, the console commands in particular, might have to look for a different solution now which saddens me greatly.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 11th March 2009 at 09:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    So you'd all like to use outdated and unsupported software would you?

Vulnerability found in the core services i.e vnc and no way to patch sounds like a good idea then?

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post

Vulnerability found in the core services i.e vnc and no way to patch sounds like a good idea then?

Ben
    No of course not,and I don't think anyone has said anything like that, isn't this exactly what we are arguing against? That this software shouldn't just be allowed to die?

Thats why I said that I am going to have to look at alternative products.

My point is simply that if the owner of the product is content to let it die then there is very little we can do.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 11th March 2009 at 10:38 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post

Ben
    Does that mean i should just ignore LV4 when I get sent the download link in the future?

Guess it's time to get the cheque book out for something like impero then.

Thank Post
    I understand everyone's frustrations with not being able to get hold of old software. It was a hard decision for Kevin to make, to close MST. The way we see it is, that by still providing old software, we're not closing MST, only changing the website? People must understand, Kevin has CLOSED MST, not just suspended development.

I appreciate people would still like to donate, it's very kind of you; however donations are no longer going to be accepted. Someone mentioned, if it's not about money, then why is LV4 only for donators. I answer this simply, because they donated to us, out of their own money and their own choice. We are thanking that generosity by personally releasing it only to them.

I have no doubt in my mind that the LV4 installation files will fly around the web eventually; however for the beginning, they were the first to receive the software. That is important to us, and possibly most of them.

The way we have to look at this is that Kevin has decided to close MST Software after over 10 years of hard work. He didn't even have to finish LV4; so we have to be thankful he is still dedicating some time towards completing this project. Everything comes to an end and we have to move on.

I appreciate everyone's comments, it's a shame this topic seems to be getting a little heated. I will see what I can do about current requests (i.e. command lists). I may be able to e-mail these bits of information to you, as-long as you remember that support is no longer available; so this is a one time favor (so to speak).

11. 5 Thanks to Silvor:

dezt (11th March 2009), ICT_GUY (11th March 2009), OutToLunch (11th March 2009), sparkeh (11th March 2009), Squiffy101 (11th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike.

I think people understand that MST is closed and development has ceased, but I think the thing that people don't understand is why the code won't be released.

As I pointed out earlier its down to the owner of a project what he does with it, but personally, it makes sense to me that if you have a much loved product that you don't wish to develop anymore, that could be taken over the community and developed for the common good, then it should be turned over. I can't understand the 'well thats it folks' approach. But again I say its not really any of our business why this isn't going to happen and offer thanks for the help this great product has given me over the past three years.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can I ask you lot to calm down slightly and for know let things lay this for various reasons but at moment you are hurting your argument more than you are helping it.

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Can I ask you lot to calm down slightly and for know let things lay this for various reasons but at moment you are hurting your argument more than you are helping it.

Russ
    Fair comment. Personally I am gutted and annoyed that I didn't donate at the time - but I respect his decision to close down. There maybe a variety of reasons - good luck for the future whatever they are.

On a similar note - have you seen the price for Impero? Sweet Bejeesus. There is also a yearly maintenance fee. Is the product any good? Does anyone use Impero at the moment?

Gareth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post

On a similar note - have you seen the price for Impero? Sweet Bejeesus. There is also a yearly maintenance fee. Is the product any good? Does anyone use Impero at the moment?

Gareth
    They keep trying to sell us a site license and the price keeps dropping :P. It's still pretty expensive though!

Thank Post
    What about iTalc?

iTALC

17. 2 Thanks to JJonas:

dezt (11th March 2009), sparkeh (11th March 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast