+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Asset discovery software in Technical; Hi all, I've just been told I have a small pot of BSF to spend & it needs to be ...

Thank Post

Asset discovery software

Hi all,

I've just been told I have a small pot of BSF to spend & it needs to be spent pretty smartish. After only being in the job since Jan, the most urgent need I can see (apart from demolishing the site & starting from scratch ) is some sort of asset discovery software (hence the cunning title!).

I've taken a look at the Open Source stuff mentioned in a couple of threads on here, and 1) CBFB to go through the building/installation/setup drama, and 2) don't really have the time as I'm on a 25hr term-time contract.

What I'm looking for is something that will run without having to have a client installed on each PC, that will provide me with a comprehensive list of the hardware & software of *everything* on our network (software licencing issues being a particular worry of mine). I would prefer that the software would enable us (at some point in the distant future) to move towards ITIL compliance. I don't want to get locked in to some bizarre proprietary stuff, as the ITIL-like modules we add in the future may not come from the same manufacturer.

Our setup is 2 Win2K3 R2 servers & a mix of Win 2K/XP desktops.

I've spent a while Googling, & the 2 out-of-the-box packages that I'm more interested in than others are Dashboard Discovery and NetSupport DNA. However, neither company posts costs (that I have found) on their websites & I'm loathe to talk to a salesbod unless I know that it's going to be worth both our time.

Could anyone let me know roughly how much either of the packages would cost (c.170 desktops & myriad peripherals) to give me an idea whether it's worth giving them a call?

Alternatively, if there are any suggestions for software that would work out of the box for less than 1k I'd be happy to give it a look.

Many thanks
    Ian

Thank Post
    Hi,

Try Belarc they offer both personal and corporate editions, not sure on pricing though.

Regards,

Thank Post
    I use Spiceworks, free though you can pay to remove the advertising

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OCS is a free inventory system this could be helpful?

Wes

Thank Post
    I've used Spiceworks in the past and it does what your after.

Thank Post
    Sysaid, incorporates a helpdesk too

Thank Post
    I am mindful of product promotion as I know its a sensitive issue on this forum but as you have asked for recommendations you may want to look at AssetControl it does use an agent but may fit all the other critera you have mentioned including budget.

Thank Post

Many thanks

Thanks guys for the suggestions - some very useful pointers. I'll probably try the free offerings first, but if they don't do what I need I'll be back!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you use OCS you can integrate it into GLPI (A free help desk system)

Wes

Thank Post
    Hi there edcirh.

I do actually work for NetSupport so I know about DNA! The prices aren't published as we have 6 different 'Packs' each offering different modules and then many different price breaks for each Pack ranging from 1 - 99 through to 9999 users.

You can download a free 30 days trial which gives you 'Pack 6' which is everything the product offers. You can deploy the client easily without having to go out & install it seperately.

I can promise you we aren't scary on the phone :-) but if you don't want to take my word for that you can simply email us for a modules list (outlining what each 'Pack' offers) and a price for a certain quantity of licences once you know which Pack you are after. The software is sold per machine it is sold on. Our email address is under the 'Contact Us' link on the front page of netsupportsoftware.com

I hope this helps you. Good luck in your quest!

Kind regards,
    Rebecca

Thank Post

I'm back!

Sorry for being tardy everyone, but things have been a bit busy at work recently.

During my look-see, I did check out several of your suggestions, but I also had my goal-posts moved (surprisingly enough!).

My HoICT came to me with a requirement for a tool which would allow him to do things he'd been asking the previous incumbent for for over six years apparently.

With this new criteria in mind, we've plumped for AB Tutor Control - it satisfies both my HoICT's and my requirements (although I am going to make a couple of suggestions to AB Consulting re their inventory functionality).

I must admit that I do like AB Tutor Control (& since installing it my ICT teachers have gone a little power-mad! ), and that I liked the transparency on their web-site regards to purchasing (you only pay for the "teacher" install) as well as their pricing structure (GBP140 per "teacher" install if buying less than 10!). From a support perspective, the product comes as a .msi and if you use GPO to push it out, it only installs the client module silently .

Until the inventory module gives me *exactly* what I want (& yes, I know I'm picky) I'm also using Spiceworks (& love the helpdesk ticket bit) & the M$ software inventory plug-in thingy as well...

Thank Post
    Not A discovery software as such but if you are using SIMS it has an asset management module.

A

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laputa01 View Post
    Not A discovery software as such but if you are using SIMS it has an asset management module.

A
    Where is this? I just had a quick look and couldn't find it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragon View Post
    I am mindful of product promotion as I know its a sensitive issue on this forum but as you have asked for recommendations you may want to look at AssetControl it does use an agent but may fit all the other critera you have mentioned including budget.
    It's not product promotion that is sensitive it's companies that continue to sign up just sell their own products.

Suggesting a piece of software is fine but then saying "give me a ring for pricing" etc... would be against the rules.

We have companies that sponsor us and to give them a fair shot as they have invested in us it's only right that we prevent other advertising.

Ben

Thank Post
    It's in the FMS module, once you have logged in go to Equipment Register Module under focus.

A

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast