+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Restricting access to a printer to specific PCs in Technical; Is is possible, using bog standard Windows 2003, to restrict printing to a shared printer to jobs sent from certain ...
    Thank Post

Post Restricting access to a printer to specific PCs

Is is possible, using bog standard Windows 2003, to restrict printing to a shared printer to jobs sent from certain PCs?

In the security setting for the printer I've tried removing the "everyone: print" permission, then adding the computers with print access, but it doesn't seem to work... you just get "access denied" when you try and open the printer.

Thank Post
    bump bump

Thank Post
    How do you assign your printers to your workstations?

If it is done via script then it can be done several ways, based on the name of the machine, or by an environmental variable added to the machines that you want to have access to the printer.
    Doing it this way means that the machines you don't want to have access to the printers wont even have it as an option to print to for your students, provided that you have restricted them adding their own printers.

Tom

Thank Post
    Id say, not ideally, that this is a teach and learning issue and not a technical problem. All students from any computer NEED to be able to print and it is our job to do so. It is the teachers job to control the students and authorise students to print.

You can suggest the staff member PAUSE printing, and manually filter the jobs, before un-pausing it.

Not ideal, but I think you are trying to solve a problem with the teachers.

Thank Post
    @SC-UK:

it's pretty flexible really - the default printer is set by a VB script at login (detecting the start of the machine name and then choosing and setting as appropriate), but all the printers are browseable and I've created a set of batch files (rundll,PruntUi )to set their default printer to any other, should they need to.

All I need to do is stop a particular printer being used by people outside a certain room (hence restricting print jobs to those coming from certain PCs)
    Last edited by BatchFile; 26th February 2009 at 01:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Why dont you just add the appropriate printers only(as you have via vbs) and then remove the option of adding new printers?

That way you allow anybody to print to any printer but they only see the ones you specify for the room they are in.
    Last edited by penfold; 26th February 2009 at 01:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Why dont you just add the appropriate printers only(as you have via vbs) and then remove the option of adding new printers?
    It's desirable, normally, that they can change their printers - there aren't that many colour printers around and if someone is in a room without a printer, or without a colour printer, or where the printer is on the blink, it's better if they can send it somewhere else if needs be.

I suppose I could add a line to explicitly remove the printer in question... but it would still be browsable

Thank Post
    The problem with that is your saying that pupils need to be able to send files to printers in another room in case there is a problem. But then you are wanting to put a restriction in place that stops this?

The way that I have done it in the past is to set only the printers for each room to be available (by checking the name) and restricting the add new printer option. Only printers you want them to see are there and users cannot add new ones. Where we had problems with printing, I changed the print script so it added an extra printer based in another room as a temporary solution. As soon as the printer was fixed this line was removed. This was in cases such as waiting for replacement parts.

I found that adding extra printers "just in case" caused a lot more wasted printing with pupils sending out multiple copies to a different room and then forgetting to pick them up.
    Last edited by penfold; 26th February 2009 at 02:28 PM.

Thank Post
    HI

Can you not set the security permissions on the printer and deny the people or group that you do not want to use that printer on the printserver.

Richard

Thank Post
    The problem with that is your saying that pupils need to be able to send files to printers in another room in case there is a problem. But then you are wanting to put a restriction in place that stops this?
    Just for one printer, yes. A department has bought their own printer (identical model to others in school - they DID consult me first), but only want users from their own room to be able to print to it as they've paid for it themselves.

I found that adding extra printers "just in case" caused a lot more wasted printing with pupils sending out multiple copies to a different room and then forgetting to pick them up.
    Agreed, and I'm looking at print quota-ing to promote responsible printing from September - I'd rather not go for the "screwed down" approach in this case
    Last edited by BatchFile; 26th February 2009 at 02:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    HI

Can you not set the security permissions on the printer and deny the people or group that you do not want to use that printer on the printserver.

Richard
    People, yes, no problem, that's not the issue - what I need is for anyone to be able to print to the printer as long as they're printing from one of the PCs that's allowed to print to it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyRidal View Post
    People, yes, no problem, that's not the issue - what I need is for anyone to be able to print to the printer as long as they're printing from one of the PCs that's allowed to print to it
    Follow the method as stated by SC-UK at the top and only install the printer on computers in that room. Restricting the no of printers available cuts down on paper/toner and support calls from people who dont know where to print.

Thank Post
    You would have to create a secuirty group and put all machines NOT in the room as members of that security group and then set deny print on the printer permissions to that security group.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    I do this using Group Policy Preferences to delete the printer mapping from the user's profile if they are not at one of the designated PCs, and use the same to re-add it automatically when they sit at one that should have access.

You can use GPP on a Windows 2003 domain, but you will need at least one Vista or Server 2008 install to configure them.

Thank Post
    I've been throwing together a vbs script which assigns a printer based on the OU the computer is in. Would that be of any use?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast