+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Restricting access to a printer to specific PCs in Technical; Originally Posted by teejay You would have to create a secuirty group and put all machines NOT in the room ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    You would have to create a secuirty group and put all machines NOT in the room as members of that security group and then set deny print on the printer permissions to that security group.
    Pretty sure it won't work - the connection is made in the security context of the user, not the printer.

could the machines and printer in in that 1 room go on a different subnet? I think you could then use IPSec to only allow communication on that subnet to the printer (although I've never done anything like that, I think it could work!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Pretty sure it won't work - the connection is made in the security context of the user, not the printer.

could the machines and printer in in that 1 room go on a different subnet? I think you could then use IPSec to only allow communication on that subnet to the printer (although I've never done anything like that, I think it could work!)
    I was just thinking the same thing or a VLAN or something ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by terrorvis View Post
    I've been throwing together a vbs script which assigns a printer based on the OU the computer is in. Would that be of any use?
    It sure would - that'd be great! I may well be able to chop lumps out of it and use it!

It doesn't I tried. I suppose that's schematically almost identical to my first attempt using the security tab

Wow, now that is thinking outside the box! I could, I suppose give that a go (I've never tried anything like that either)... but I'll try terrorvis's script first methinks as the "alternative subnet" would also entail putting another server in to host the printer (25 workstations so I can't do it from a workstation) and allsorts of fun getting them to see their network drives etc.!

Sincerely, thanks to all for your ideas and contributions to this - I can't help thinking it shouldn't be this hard!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12