+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, RM CC3 - Buying non RM machines in Technical; I'm looking at buying some new machines (non RM) and then building them for use on the RM CC3 network ...

Thank Post

RM CC3 - Buying non RM machines

I'm looking at buying some new machines (non RM) and then building them for use on the RM CC3 network we have.

Obviously RM CC3 uses XP Pro... So what suggestions are there regarding the purchasing of the machines. If I purchase a machine, do they have to have XP Pro and/or Vista Business on them?

I'm a bit stuck in regards to the downgrade... The CC3 Licence obv. doesn't include XP Pro, but then, I don't think I can purchase XP Pro Licenses anymore can I?
    Am I stuck with purchasing from RM?
    Last edited by plkrtn; 10th February 2009 at 11:19 AM.

Thank Post
    I believe it would have to have Windows Vista Business or XP Pro for you to be able to build them without buying any upgrade licences.

Thank Post
    We haven't bought client PC's from RM for some years - they're just too expensive for the spec you get.

All our new PC's are bought with Vista Business licences allowing us to downgrade to XP Pro.

Providing you can get hold of drivers to allow a network build and your covered with CC3 licencing, there's no problem.

Thank Post
    i started doing exactly the same last summer. The school had always bought Rm hardware (in particular RM One's) but managed to convince them to try HP and have never looked back.

i put in some Hp DC7900 machines with Vista Business and an XP Pro downgrade license.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No you are not stuck with purchasing from RM. All you need is the correct amount of OS licenses and RM licences.

IHowever, if you buy a machine and have OEM version of Vista then you might not be able downgrade (read the licence).In this case you could buy Volume licences which will allow you to downgrade to XP.

Also do some research in which machines are cooperative in the CC3 build process and which are going to give you a headache.

Thank Post

Re: RM CC3 - Buying non RM machines

Quote Originally Posted by plkrtn View Post
    I'm looking at buying some new machines (non RM) and then building them for use on the RM CC3 network we have.

Obviously RM CC3 uses XP Pro... So what suggestions are there regarding the purchasing of the machines. If I purchase a machine, do they have to have XP Pro and/or Vista Business on them?

I'm a bit stuck in regards to the downgrade... The CC3 Licence obv. doesn't include XP Pro, but then, I don't think I can purchase XP Pro Licenses anymore can I?
    Am I stuck with purchasing from RM?
    You will need to purchase PCs with Vista Business with a downgrade to licence to Windows XP. Many suppliers still do this, including RM. You can connect Vista Business stations to CC3, providing you have the Client Connect Pack but they will not be managed clients (ie no application deployment, etc.).

Therefore, it is probably best to stick with XP Pro (downgraded from Vista) but you should have many choices as to where to buy these.

ghannahuk

Thank Post
    Are there no Vista Business to XP Pro downgrade licenses except with a new machine? Theres a lovely machine I've found thats Vista Home Premium, but the vendor just sells them as is... No alternative OS's available. I've found the Vista Business Upgrade license I could use, but it says nothing about downgrade to XP Pro rights. SELECT Licensing doesn't allow downgrading does it?

I wish Microsoft would just release ONE operating system. Windows. I'm getting tired of these multiple flavours.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Select allows downgrade read MS downgrade chart for more info.

As I said, when it comes to OEM versions you have to check the licence, some do some don't.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plkrtn View Post
    Are there no Vista Business to XP Pro downgrade licenses except with a new machine? Theres a lovely machine I've found thats Vista Home Premium, but the vendor just sells them as is... No alternative OS's available. I've found the Vista Business Upgrade license I could use, but it says nothing about downgrade to XP Pro rights. SELECT Licensing doesn't allow downgrading does it?

I wish Microsoft would just release ONE operating system. Windows. I'm getting tired of these multiple flavours.
    This can be done by upgrading using the Select agreement to Vista Business and then using the downgrade rights applicable to Vista Business to cover XP Pro. If you are looking for non RM PCs perhaps you could give me an opportunity to provide a quotation aswell??

Thank Post
    Yep all the above is correct - I would reccomend using XP on CC3 rather than Vista.

If your workstations come with XP Pro Pre-installed use Smartclient to add the PC to CC3.

Or if your workstations come with Vista Business you will have to a full rebuild using RM Workstation Build Manager - in this case you will probably have to load the Sound/Video/Network drivers into RM Workstation Build Manager manually.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Before you plump for a lot of non-RM pc's to go on your network it may be worthwhile asking for a trial machine to ensure that it builds fine onto your network without any issues. The majority of companies expecting a big hardware order should be willing to do this for you.

Thank Post
    Before you plump for a lot of non-RM pc's to go on your network it may be worthwhile asking for a trial machine to ensure that it builds fine onto your network without any issues.
    Thats a very good call, this is something we can arrange for you should you need it.

Thank Post
    We've just removed the last RM client machines from our CC3 network.

We've got mostly Acer laptops and PC's from Novatech - as long as you can get an NDIS driver for the network card and you load the drivers onto the build server the machines (mostly) build a treat.

Watch out for PC's with built in card-readers as this tends to confuse the build disks, we've got a room of Acer PC's that have to have them physically removed for the duration of initial build phase.
    Last edited by lyndonw; 12th February 2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Clarification

Thank Post
    Hi guys I was just gonna put a post about buying non RM machines and I stumbled across this thread. Is there any specific models anyone recommends for using with the cc3 network? and how to obtain xp pro licences or the Vista business licence if the machine does not come with it. Im looking to get 15 machines for the ICT suite and with the ICT budget hit hard this year with the government and RM machines at crazy prices i am looking for capable substitutes. One of the good things about RM is there support when a machine is faulty and engineers come on site to repair but maybe thats just for the overpriced machines. Do these alternative machines you guys purchase come with on site repairs?

Thank Post
    I have not bough single computer from RM in last 3 years - there are lots of companies who do their own PCs and you can choose what exactly motherboard you want to have in it. Usually most of the realtec network cards works well with RM build disk

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast