+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Help desk software that also uses Barcode scanning in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Help desk software that also uses Barcode scanning

Dear All

Apologies for another thread on help desk software, however Iíve been trawling through helpdesk software trials and need to implement a solution urgently. I wondered if anyone out there is using or could recommend help desk software that incorporates scanning of barcodes to log ticket requests against items that have already been added to the database.

Currently all our students and teaching staff (approx 1100) are issued with laptops, as you can imagine this keeps us rather busy. Typically are busiest times are during registration, break times and after school where there is a need to log calls quickly and efficiently thus wishing to use bar codes to achieve this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks

Richard

IT Systems Manager
    Valley Park Community School

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    Most barcode readers that I've used simply pretend they are a keyboard to the PC and send a series of keypresses corresponding to the barcode.

This should mean that any helpdesk software which allows you to pick a resource to associate the ticket with by typing the resource name/asset number in should work with a barcode reader.

For example, our ticketing system is bespoke, but allows you to search for a laptop to raise a ticket against by the serial number. In the past we used to just type it in, but since we got barcode readers we simply place the cursor into the search text box, use the barcode scanner to read the serial tag from the bottom of the machine, and it fills in the serial tag one character at a time at high speed, as if someone were typing fast on the keyboard. We even configured them to send an [Enter] key at the end to execute the search.

For reference, these are the barcode scanners we use. They aren't the cheapest around but they are very reliable. USB, needs no drivers as it appears in the Device Manager as a generic keyboard HID device. Same brand that Tesco use on all their checkouts, actually; the oddest thing is that I've now learned to recognise the 3-tone beep they make when they initialise so sometimes I'll be standing in a store and hear it, and will immediately know what barcode scanner brand they have (sad I know)!

Thank Post
    Speak to ICTNUT. He's produced My Little Helpdesk, which I think may soon include a bar code reader (if I understood correctly in my conversation with him at BETT on Thursday).

I use MLH for my private IT support business, and can highly recommend it. Tell him I sent you!
    Last edited by OverWorked; 17th January 2009 at 02:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    +1 for MLH Great peice of software... i'm also pretty sure it has a barcode reader aswell.. if it doesn't now i guess it will be in the next release.

James.

Thank Post
    Thanks Angry Tech that's really useful information I was not aware that they functioned in such a manner do these scanners come with configuration software?

Thanks again to Overworked and Edutech for the MLH recommendation I'll take a look at that now with interest. I've looked at Spiceworks (not so sure about the adverts spyware and so forth) and Sysaid which both look good although I want a quick clean simple interface with minimal options when logging a ticket. I'm sure i can probably customize these option within both these products have not unfortunately had much time to evaluate.

We do currently have our own php and mysql solution that we have developed ourselves but unfortunately development time is the issue hence looking for an out of the box solution. We have budgeted around £500 - £600 so i'm not necessarily looking for a freebie (nice if we can find one) if anyone else has any further thoughts on the matter or do actually already use some helpdesk software utilizing a Bar code scanner I would be extremely interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Richard

Thank Post
    Speak to Ozan (ICTNUT); I'm sure he'll be more than happy to help customise etc and in turn you could help with a donation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RChilcott View Post
    do these scanners come with configuration software?
    They do, but we've actually never had to use it. Why? Well, the most common options can be configured by scanning a special barcode from a configuration sheet they put in the box.

The software can re-print the sheet if needed, and I think can print additional codes if you want something more complicated than is on the in-box sheet.

Thank Post

Thumbs up Help Desk Software and Barcode Scanners

Dear All

Apologies for another thread on help desk software, however Iíve been trawling through helpdesk software trials and need to implement a solution urgently. I wondered if anyone out there is using or could recommend help desk software that incorporates scanning of barcodes to log ticket requests against items that have already been added to the database.
    Richard,

AngryTechnician is correct. Barcode scanners merely convert the lines to characters and push them just like an input device. Typically, you can configure the scanner to hardcode a <carriage return> or <tab> at the end of the character string. Depending on where you focus your cursor, the scanner will simply inject the text at that point.

Web Help Desk is an intuitive suite of help desk software and asset management software that should accommodate your needs without a problem. On most asset related screens, the cursor will be focused and ready for a scan of an asset tag.

The Web Help Desk Software - PRO Edition contains intuitive trouble ticket management, LDAP & AD integration and authentication, email-to-ticket conversion, asset and desktop management, knowledge base management, approval workflow, enduser customer satisfaction survey management, and performance reporting.

Help Desk Software for Education in the Americas, Australia, and Asia.

Help Desk Software for Education in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.

Honesty Disclaimer: The Web Help Desk Software is a sponsor for a forum on EduGeek.

Thank Post
    I dont' want to hijack the thread but if you want to ask me anything please feel free to PM me.

The guys are correct though the next release will include full asset management including bar code reading.

10. 3 Thanks to ICTNUT:

dalsoth (18th January 2009), kmount (17th January 2009), PEO (21st January 2009)

Thank Post
    Such a nice bloke, fair play to you Ozan.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your input Web Help Desk Software I'll take a look at your product tahnks for your input ref bar code scanning.

Ozan thanks for getting in contact i signed on and took a quick look at the online version of MLH earlier I liked the simplicity of the interface. Basically Iím looking to barcode all my assets (Mainly student and staff laptops) and when a student or member of staff physically brings their laptop to us we simply scan the bar code which in turn would populate the relevant fields.

When looking at MLH there did not appear to be the facility for asset management is this correct or did I miss this? If so as you've stated I presume this will be in your next release.

My overall aim is to accurately inventorize assets, link the asset with a barcode also to an assigned user (staff or student laptop) in turn maintaining an accurate log of service requests per asset.

Any idea when your next release of MLH will be available?

Thanks

Richard

Thank Post
    While we're on the subject of barcodes, how do you print them?

What software do you recommend? As cheap as possible.

Thank Post
    We use this free font to produce [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_39"]Code 39[/ame] barcodes. Couldn't be simpler.

This is of course only possible because Code 39 doesn't include a check digit by default.

15. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

OverWorked (20th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for your input Web Help Desk Software I'll take a look at your product tahnks for your input ref bar code scanning.

Ozan thanks for getting in contact i signed on and took a quick look at the online version of MLH earlier I liked the simplicity of the interface. Basically Iím looking to barcode all my assets (Mainly student and staff laptops) and when a student or member of staff physically brings their laptop to us we simply scan the bar code which in turn would populate the relevant fields.

When looking at MLH there did not appear to be the facility for asset management is this correct or did I miss this? If so as you've stated I presume this will be in your next release.

My overall aim is to accurately inventorize assets, link the asset with a barcode also to an assigned user (staff or student laptop) in turn maintaining an accurate log of service requests per asset.

Any idea when your next release of MLH will be available?

Thanks

Richard
    Bar coding and asset amangement will be in the March 09 release of the helpdesk, this will be with beta testers inthe next 2 weeks.

As far a printing barcodes goes we will have many templates setup for you to print directly to any laser printer provided you have the code 39 font installed.

Thank Post
    Thank you everyone for your input I have taken a look at MLH and love the simplicity of the interface and will look forward to evaluating the new release that incorporates the asset management barcode reading functionality.

In the meantime I'll explore using a barcode scanner with our own solution so thanks again to Angry Technician for your useful posts.

If anyone else has any further thoughts regarding this subject I'd certainly be interested to know them.

Regards

Richard

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast