+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, SWF Files in Docs in Technical; Ok, this is a problem more and more of us are seeing. There have been two other (easierly searchable) topics ...
    Thank Post

SWF Files in Docs

Ok, this is a problem more and more of us are seeing. There have been two other (easierly searchable) topics on this, neither seem to come to a useful conclusion.

I'm starting this thread hoping that it'll house useful suggestions (not "yeh i've got this problem... ahwell").

Here's what I think our problems are:
    • Flash is *needed* by ICT for their DiDA or other projects
    • Because of above, we cant do a "del *.swf" or the darling teachers will complain (rightly so)
    • Because of above, we cant do software restriction. I have not confirmed it, but if it's like any other software restriction problem, it'll mess up kid's references to swf objects from their project sites
    • If we delete all SWF's that look like games, kids just email them again (or re-save them from their emails). They could also copy them in from USB pens.

So, i think our options are:
    • Filter SWF files from emails (doesnt stop students getting them over the network via other ways. I wont say how unless students are watching this thread).
    • Some kind of program that runs on the file server, monitors SWF changes (easy to impliment), if the SWF file meets certain criteria then it deletes/archives it or otherwise removes access
    • Client side program that watches all file accesses and basically does as above. Difference is, this would also cover USB devices.

Any other suggestions? If any of the above prove popular then i'll look into developing them. (I'm aware there are entire network management suites that could stop this. But for the purpose of discussion, assume we do not have it, nor can we get it).

Also for the purpose of discussion, lets assume "classroom management" is out of the question! This is totally a technical discussion on how we can stop this happening.

(Note: if any students are watching this thread, this isn't a discussion about *if* we should let you do this. It's a discussion about how we can *stop* you doing this as your simply not allowed!)

Hope that's not too restrictive :P
    Last edited by stratisphere; 12th January 2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: My spelling & grammar suck

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its hard find a balance, story of my life! i know zero_hour is having a similar problem

Thank Post
    I know that you canít use hash rules on swf files as well, they just donít work for some reason

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How about having restrictions so that flash can only be used in certain rooms (eg: the ICT rooms) although they would need to have dedicated rooms/building for that to work. Or you could put all the students that are doing that subject in a group and only allow them and teachers to run swf files/flash?.
    Last edited by p858snake; 14th January 2009 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Additional Idea

Thank Post
    The problem is also the fact that alot of websites use flash these days (legit ones aswell as gaming ones).

Having a machine with internet access but no flash is a big thing these days

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread