+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Local install access, CC3 (new to this, basic question) in Technical; Hi there! I'd like to install a program locally (i.e. on to C: drive on a teacher laptop) The program ...

Thank Post

Local install access, CC3 (new to this, basic question)

Hi there!

I'd like to install a program locally (i.e. on to C: drive on a teacher laptop)

The program is AVS DVD player, or media player classic (which runs from the .exe)

I've installed both on Admin.

How to give access to users?

I've tried adding shortcuts to shortcut bank in 'core programs' in the RM Management Console -- They dont work when I log in as teacher and try to run them from the RM Explorer.

My question is: How do I allow users (teachers in this case) access to a program that is locally installed on one machine (in this case the hall laptop)?

I also tried adding the shortcut for the program to the 'C:docs and settings/all users/desktop' -- didnt work.

I also tried putting the media player classic .exe on a shared drive that the teacher user has access to -- but it wouldn't run due to a 'permissions error'.

Any ideas?
    I realise that this is probably a very basic question. I am very new to this and learning.

Cheers!
    D

Thank Post
    Hi

Welcome to the site.

If you are new to CC3, I would suggest you attend the RM course as their is a lot that is CC3 that you won't know from a standard Windows network.

If you install the APPS into C:\Program Files\ they will run fine, as anything in this folder is out of the restriction policy. (You will need to allocate the shortcut as below still though)

Logging into to the Management Console, you can add the path to the file in the file restriction policy which will grant it permission to run. You will however, need to give it time to propagate around the network and I think will require a restart of the machine.

To assign the shortcuts, you allocate it to one of the Program Sets in the Management console and right click and choose re-deliver shortcuts.

And if I was to give you one last peice of advice - get rid of RM Explorer its awful!

Thank Post
    I'd agree on getting rid of the RM Explorer and also second Andrew's advice on getting on a course.

(Or stick your head deep into the RM Manuals!)

Thank Post
    Superb - cheers for swift replies!

Im new to a job, and my responsibilities will increase as I get more experience (ie. im training on the job). Therefore, I will in time be sent on training. Until then I am actually quite keen to get stuck into some RM manuals.

By getting rid of RM explorer, do you mean you prefer users to just browse shortcuts through their start menu or do you mean get rid of CC3?

BTW, I have not had previous experience of any other server systems. Im starting with CC3. My only knowledge of computers is building my own, but Im keen to learn more!

Thank Post
    oh quick question-

if i install to C: and create a shortcut with permissions - if that shortcut is added to users through the management console, surely that shortcut will only work when they are logged on to the individual machine/s with that program installed. What will happen when the shortcut appears in their start menu/RM explorer when they are logged on to a machine without the program on its C: drive.

Will the shortcut still appear?
    If so, when clicked upon will it just fail to launch?

Thank Post
    The shortcuts are all held in the "Shortcut Bank" on the Server and if you log onto a machine that doesn't have the software/permission errors accessing it it will not show the shortcut up. I've in some cases though seen dead links show up so be aware it might happen!

As for RM Explorer, it's just an application that facilities accessing resources via a "less" complex start menu etc. - Seems ok for primary but these days the primary kids know more than most adults!

Thank Post
    true!

I was teaching for 8 years before this.

So, awesome, cheers for the advice. Just what I wanted to know!

All the best. See you around!

D

Thank Post
    Aye aye, take care.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread