+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, How to change display font size for all users of certain laptops? in Technical; Hi, I have a problem and RM have said that there is no way round it, so here's your challenge!! ...

Thank Post

How to change display font size for all users of certain laptops?

Hi, I have a problem and RM have said that there is no way round it, so here's your challenge!!

We have a few notebooks with very small screens and I would like to increase the display font size to large fonts for all users of the notebooks, and then reset the font size back to normal for the user when they log off, so that when they use a normal size screen elsewhere, everything isn't HUGE.

I have built a custom workstation type for the notebooks but unfortunately, the registry settings for display fonts is a user registry, not machine - I believe that it is HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\Window Metrics. I have tried making a batch program to be run by the machine at user logon, which uses "regedt32 /s" to change the current user's font; this works but only for system admins, not standard users, owing to software restrictions. I tried making an MSI of the registry changes and then running that at login, but the same thing happens, even when I changed the security on the workstation type to low.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions about how to do this automatically for users, please? I feel that I'm going in circles here and I must be missing something - and there MUST be a way! As you will have gathered, it's a CC3 system, with XP SP2 systems.

Thanks,
    Helen.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HPitkin View Post
    I have built a custom workstation type for the notebooks but unfortunately, the registry settings for display fonts is a user registry, not machine - I believe that it is HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\Window Metrics. I have tried making a batch program to be run by the machine at user logon, which uses "regedt32 /s" to change the current user's font; this works but only for system admins, not standard users, owing to software restrictions. I tried making an MSI of the registry changes and then running that at login, but the same thing happens, even when I changed the security on the workstation type to low.
    why not use a REG ADD command in the batch file to make the change or run a VBScript file.
    Last edited by m2d2; 1st December 2008 at 02:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m2d2 View Post
    why not use a REG ADD command in the batch file to make the change or run a VBScript file.
    Hi, Thanks for the reply. My limited understanding makes me think that REG ADD would be blocked in the same way as Regedt32?

A VBScript would be great, if I had the first idea how to write one!

Helen

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread