+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Blocking Youtube in Technical; The reason i try hard is the same reason people become hackers its a thirst for knowledge. It's not so ...
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    The reason i try hard is the same reason people become hackers its a thirst for knowledge. It's not so much what im doing its the fact that im doing it. I learn coding languages and find solutions to problems. If there is a problem then there is a solution. By finding the solution you feel happy with yourself. Its like in other subjects when you find a challenge hard you want to find a solution. That is why i try hard.

    I could channell this energy into other means but what would you preffer? By finding ways around block's ect then you are solving a problem. A key skill for later life. Yes you may get caught or even expelled, however the chances of that are slim if you have my record, and when i find something serious, e.g last year we found out how to shut down sims via the active directory you let the IT department know. That way i am still being responsible.

    As to the talks about blocking content for smaller children, i have seen the damage they can and very often do to computers (im talking about reception), and as the time continues they will become even more computer literate.

    I understand they must be prrotected, but is it responsible to hide somebody from the truth or dangers. Surely it is better to educate them against these and give them the choice to follow your advice and rules. A person should be alloud to roam the greatest recource available to them without control. For that was one of the dreams of the internet, to be a place of freedom of speach, a place where people can be whoever or whatever they want. Not locked within walls that society seems ever so ready to place around them.

  2. #32

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,618
    Thank Post
    1,230
    Thanked 776 Times in 673 Posts
    Rep Power
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by aTEK View Post
    The reason I try hard is the same reason people become hackers - it's a thirst for knowledge.
    Crackers, even.

    If there is a problem then there is a solution.
    Good point.

    --
    David Hicks

  3. #33
    stratisphere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    295
    Thank Post
    33
    Thanked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by aTEK View Post
    I understand they must be prrotected, but is it responsible to hide somebody from the truth or dangers. Surely it is better to educate them against these and give them the choice to follow your advice and rules. A person should be alloud to roam the greatest recource available to them without control. For that was one of the dreams of the internet, to be a place of freedom of speach, a place where people can be whoever or whatever they want. Not locked within walls that society seems ever so ready to place around them.
    I'm not going to bother replying to the whole "i'm a hacker... i'm exempt from the rules because im doing it for your own good" because thats just BS.

    As for the block above. In a perfect world, you are right. In a perfect free world, everyone would have a choice, we would educate them about the problems etc, then they could make their own *informed* (key word) decision. But, in reality, most users do not care about the bad things on the internet. They just want to use it for what they want.

    Sure I could teach the users about viruses, trogens, scams etc (to a degree we do already), but unless they go out and learn themselves, they will never have the knowledge we (or you) know. Thats the different between people like us (aka, technical minded people) and the general population. As you've put it, we thrive on knowledge, we experiment to learn. Most people (i'm speaking generally here) do not want nor care to do that.

    Oh, and all things side, breaking into a network you do not own or administer is illegal. If you get caught you will get in deep ****. Experiment at home, do what ever, but it's not worth the risk by trying to break into college networks etc. As an *informed* user, you should no better.

    This is the last post im making now as this topic has gone completely derailed (thanks ) plus if you don't see the points were trying to make then it wont change your opinion.

  4. #34

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,604
    Thank Post
    514
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    828
    We have it generally unblocked, and teachers can use abtutor control to block it during their lessons if they so please.

    We did have it blocked universally, but it got silly, with a teacher asking for it to be unblocked for the first period, then another wanted it blocked for the second, then unblocked third etc... Not exactly a good use of my time.

    Ideally, I'd love to have the internet entirely unfiltered - but the government states that we have to filter things. Also, when a child gets onto something they shouldn't, such as hardcore pornography, we can't simply turn around and say 'well, they didn't listen to us'. No, we get blamed for allowing such access and have to justify it to them.

    So, for many things it comes to one thing - legal liability. We have a legal responsibility to protect children from various things. Bad things on the internet is one of them.

  5. #35

    Theblacksheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    1,931
    Thank Post
    138
    Thanked 290 Times in 210 Posts
    Rep Power
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by aTEK View Post
    So students will always have the upper hand.
    Depends what school you are in.

  6. #36


    tom_newton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    4,461
    Thank Post
    866
    Thanked 845 Times in 667 Posts
    Rep Power
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by stratisphere View Post
    On our network anyway;
    Like I said before... sure you think you have the upper hand... but we have logs, and detention slips
    Quote of the month for me right there

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I never said I was a hacker or cracker. I was using it to help explain the point. Hackers enjoy solving problems, crackers maliciously go out of the way to destroy and harm people.

    The Jargon File contains a bunch of definitions of the term ‘hacker’, most having to do with technical adeptness and a delight in solving problems and overcoming limits.
    (From http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html)

    This is what I was referring to when I was talking about a thirst for knowledge not about being a cracker who breaks in for knowledge. And Malicious reasons
    Last edited by aTEK; 28th November 2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: To not seem like im attacking the response and merly backing up my earlier comment.

  8. #38

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,859
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 777 Times in 650 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    A hacker's only a hacker when h[is|er] peers deem it so. A self-appointed hacker is no hacker at all.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    That is why I am no hacker. I don't consider myself a hacker however I follow the hacker way of thinking and the hacker way of taking apart a problem. A Self Appointed hacker is somebody with an incredibly big ego!!! or a script kiddy

  10. #40
    stratisphere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    295
    Thank Post
    33
    Thanked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Again, please keep this on topic. We have an issue in school about if we should allow total or limited access to youtube for students. I started this to get an idea of what other schools/colleges do.

    aTEK, I appreciate your original input, but please discuss the meaning of hacker in another thread. Also, search the forums, there are plenty of occasions when students find this place and do the same thing as you are doing.

    Thanks

  11. #41
    australiana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    26
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    A controlled alternative to youtube

    Youtube will always be too messy and 'risky' for schools to use. I am surprised that any LEA would allow students to use it. We use Clickview as it works reliably even when we have hundreds using it and we control whats on it (yeah I know, we're control freaks). Clickview Exchange is also very useful (a bit like a youtube for schools) and has a pretty impressive range of downloadable copied-from-TV programs available for free.

  12. #42
    mossj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    1,466
    Thank Post
    157
    Thanked 189 Times in 174 Posts
    Rep Power
    52
    We ban it to students but not to staff, just because youtube can be used for bullying, and its modaration from reporting to removal (no matter how serious, the police where called) is a week or more, even if you phone them and inform them that theres a video making physical threats against students, they still won't take a blind bit of notice.

    *not to derail this thread.... any further

    but i wonder how many of us clicked aTEKS profile just to see if we could figure out what schools he is in.

    Also aTEK we *almost* removed a student from his IT a-level course because of what we caught him doing. If what we caught him doing had been the same as what you say you do, then he would of been out on his ear.

    You say your grades would stop that happening but if you put users data at risk/the network at risk/hardware at risk/Admin network at risk. Then your grades will mean didly squat.

  13. #43
    mrforgetful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,637
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    its modaration from reporting to removal (no matter how serious, the police where called) is a week or more, even if you phone them and inform them that theres a video making physical threats against students, they still won't take a blind bit of notice.
    I disagree with that.

    Last week we found a video on Youtube of some students fighting in the school corridor.

    I was asked to get it removed, clicked the button to flag it as inappropriate, two more to set why.

    It was removed within 2 minutes.

  14. #44
    IanT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    @ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Posts
    1,891
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 118 Times in 109 Posts
    Rep Power
    59
    Sadly for some reason the teachers here NEED youtube open!

    They demand it open! If I block it I get a bunch of teachers come up moaning to unblock it.

    I've just blocked it nowwwwwwwww at 9:30AM.............lets see when I get the first email or teacher come up moaning to unblock it

  15. #45
    timbo343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leeds/York area, North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,975
    Thank Post
    287
    Thanked 266 Times in 191 Posts
    Rep Power
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    Sadly for some reason the teachers here NEED youtube open!

    They demand it open! If I block it I get a bunch of teachers come up moaning to unblock it.

    I've just blocked it nowwwwwwwww at 9:30AM.............lets see when I get the first email or teacher come up moaning to unblock it
    Its an easy get out of explaining something to the kids. Many of times I have done random checks to see what people are looking at and some of the teachers are using youtube to either explain something or get the point across or sometimes just a copout.

    Tim

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Youtube Videos
    By rush_tech in forum General Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 28th November 2008, 08:03 AM
  2. YouTube Download
    By Zoom7000 in forum Downloads
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 24th June 2008, 04:25 PM
  3. Youtube
    By My220x in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11th April 2008, 07:39 PM
  4. Youtube
    By rokeby in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th January 2008, 08:53 AM
  5. youtube
    By strawberry in forum School ICT Policies
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 25th June 2007, 01:15 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •