+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, classroom management software required in Technical; We use a mixture of iTalc so the teachers and IT admin can view what the students are on. If ...

Thank Post
    We use a mixture of iTalc so the teachers and IT admin can view what the students are on.

If they continually break the rules about games they are then banned from accessing the internet using the Dansguardian filter groups.

(The filter groups can be setup in such a way that the internet is banned but certain sites can be made available to them - samlearning etc)

All free - as our budgets like that

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    May I ask why? Just so we don't get NetOp breathing down our necks without a valid reason!
    Sorry - DB - only just noticed this port - NetOp - just didn't work properly - it was flaky from day one and kids swiftly discovered that pulling the network cable out for a little while during the login disabled most of the restrictions. We spent untold hours of technician time with it and with their support - but (for us at least) it just didn't work.

Whereas ABTutor just did - hardly any support calls and easier for the teachers to use too - and lots of nice features.

Thank Post
    Currently we use ABtutor here and have been for about a year or 2 now atleast.... Its so nice and simple to use very rarely have any problems with it, Its nice enough to have an MSI install so we have it install on all machines once they are on the network and also automacally sets up the password. We dont regret going to abtutor and wouldn't look back now as before AB we did use netop...

ejb
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, forums are for opinons... so here's mine.

There's much more to classroom management than just "management". What about teaching tools built right in? Assessment built right in? Full integration to interactive whiteboard software? Full integration to clickers too...

Some very interesting developments were shown at BETT '09 -- namely SMART Classroom Suite. http:http://en.sourcews.com/smart-cl...e-be-installed

It will be pre-installed on every Intel Convertible Classmate-PC globally ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    Sorry - DB - only just noticed this port - NetOp - just didn't work properly - it was flaky from day one and kids swiftly discovered that pulling the network cable out for a little while during the login disabled most of the restrictions. We spent untold hours of technician time with it and with their support - but (for us at least) it just didn't work.

Whereas ABTutor just did - hardly any support calls and easier for the teachers to use too - and lots of nice features.
    Out of interest, what version of NetOp where you using? How long ago are we talking about? What MS platforms where you running?

I am sure your comments are vaild, however from my experience of other forums people tend to express a negative opinion about a product but sometimes there can be mitigating circumstances.

We tend to find that when people have encountered problems the reality is they are either trying to get old versions to work on new platforms hoping they will work or get themselves into a fix with the configuration.

I am not suggesting this is the case with your situation, but I would be interested to know of your experience if it was recent as the new versions of the product are very stable and well developed. (nb if you pull the cable out using NetOp it simply puts you back in the class once plugged back in and has had this feature for a long time)?

Thank Post
    We have a folder with a .dat for each ICT suite in, that only has the details for that room, when a teacher kicks up ABTutor, a script looks at the name of the teacher PC and puts them in the appropriate folder for the room. Us IT techs get access to all the rooms - you can choose a PC by name fairly simply. We did it like this because we had a problem with (some) teachers using the system to control PCs in other teacher's lessons - so we had to lock it down. I believe in the latest version - you can turn off the "Find" button - so should be even easier - though we haven't rolled that one out yet.

Also - it works for TS/Citrix sessions too - which is a boon if you use that sort of stuff (we do).
    We use Ranger Remote Control (rebadged Net Support) but it can't be used with a mixture of Citrix sessions and normal PCs. This is a real pain in a mixed environment, on top of that even when setup to 'control' Citrix sessions it only shows the username of the logged in student, not the terminal name. This results in a not too careful teacher in one room takes control of a student in another.

How does ABTutor handle mixed environments and does it display terminal names for thin clients.

TIA

Thank Post
    HI

I spent hours testing loads of programs and I found ab tutor to be the best value for money and just works. You can deploy the client with a msi and tech support is good.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragon View Post
    Out of interest, what version of NetOp where you using? How long ago are we talking about? What MS platforms where you running?

I am sure your comments are vaild, however from my experience of other forums people tend to express a negative opinion about a product but sometimes there can be mitigating circumstances.
    We installed in 2005 with whatever was the current version then, and battled for the next 18 months or so. This was on a vanilla 2003/XP network. We certainly gave them enough opportunities to sort out whatever the problems might have been. A casual search of these forums will show I'm not alone in this experience.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    We have used Impero for two years + ( Impero - Network Computer Monitoring and Classroom Management Software ) & would recommend you take a look. You can download & trial it for free. It should do most of what you want plus some other extras thrown in. It's a good admin tool for ICT support staff when you want to push out changes across a whole suite of PCs too.

The development team are approachable & responsive to ideas about enhancements & they are pretty quick with bug fixes. The product is still very active in its development cycle, so updates come thick & fast & sometimes with the occasional bug... There is an active user forum available for self-help & communication with the developers too.

Staff seem to like it, the user interface is relatively teacher friendly too. There's a new version (V3) scheduled for next year although the timeline for updates often slips.
    I would second this!

Thank Post
    We installed in 2005 with whatever was the current version then, and battled for the next 18 months or so. This was on a vanilla 2003/XP network. We certainly gave them enough opportunities to sort out whatever the problems might have been. A casual search of these forums will show I'm not alone in this experience.
    Hi, thank you for responding to my question. Its very useful feedback.

Based on the dates you have given we are talking about an experience you had with a product some 4 years ago and at this time I believe the supply and support of the products was not with NetOp directly but an agent of NetOp that are no longer working with them.

Whilst I appreciate you have a valid point and have had a poor personal experience it would also be fair to say that the products have moved on significantly and undergone many years of development since your experience, coupled with UK based offices for direct support and a new team of reseller partners.

I do believe NetOp has taken a bit of bad press in various forums, some of it possibly deserved and some of it unfairly but currently the NetOp products and service will stand up to anything any other vendor can offer.

Add to this the new range of education products and now taking on Geneva Logic the whole company is very different to that of 4 years ago.

I feel its a bit unfair on NetOp to discourage people in this forum from considering their new set of solutions based on historical experiences from so many years ago.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragon View Post
    Hi, thank you for responding to my question. Its very useful feedback.

I do believe NetOp has taken a bit of bad press in various forums, some of it possibly deserved and some of it unfairly but currently the NetOp products and service will stand up to anything any other vendor can offer.

I feel its a bit unfair on NetOp to discourage people in this forum from considering their new set of solutions based on historical experiences from so many years ago.
    Well - happy to see any current NetOp users giving it the thumbs up??

As I say - we use AB Tutor now and its been first class.

Thank Post

NetSupport

Hi,

You initially voiced you had some problems with NetSupport School - did you try our technical helpline? Normally we find that if there is an issue, there's normally a quick fix!

Let me know if you need any assistance.

You can contact me direct at NetSupport Software on james@netsupportsoftware.co.uk

Thanks

Thank Post
    I can't see an answer to the point I asked about ABTutor. Sorry if it's buried somewhere.

Using ABTutor in a mixed fat/thin client system can a single controlling PC, e.g. the techies' one, see all the clients?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Using ABTutor in a mixed fat/thin client system can a single controlling PC, e.g. the techies' one, see all the clients?
    Yes, that is possible.

15. Thanks to meastaugh1 from:

moggy (10th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks heastaugh1.

Sorry if the next is obvious. Do the clients show by client name or username or can you select? We use Ranger Remote and you can't show thick and thin at the same time!!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast