+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, classroom management software required in Technical; We use NetOP which I DO NOT recommend to anybody... I too will certainly check out some of the suggestions ...
    tjb
    Thank Post
    We use NetOP which I DO NOT recommend to anybody...

I too will certainly check out some of the suggestions above.

Thank Post
    Abtutor here and its a good price and just works.

If you give it a try I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Kay View Post
    I've not yet tested it out yet, but this sounds interesting, can you tell me how easy is it to specify which machines connect to which controller? e.g. we would want the teachers PC in IT Room 1 to connect to all the PCs in that room - do we put a list of all the PCs in that room into the abcontrol file?

And if I want to connect to a specific PC in a room to fix a problem with that PC, is that easy to specify as a one-off?

e.g. in our version of NetSupport it worked by having 2 modes: the one for teachers is where it connects to all PCs beginning with a certain value (e.g. 'Room1' as all PCs in Room 1 would be named something like Room1-PC1 and so on) but for network admins you could connect to a specific list and you could add/delete from that list at any time.
    We have a folder with a .dat for each ICT suite in, that only has the details for that room, when a teacher kicks up ABTutor, a script looks at the name of the teacher PC and puts them in the appropriate folder for the room. Us IT techs get access to all the rooms - you can choose a PC by name fairly simply. We did it like this because we had a problem with (some) teachers using the system to control PCs in other teacher's lessons - so we had to lock it down. I believe in the latest version - you can turn off the "Find" button - so should be even easier - though we haven't rolled that one out yet.

Also - it works for TS/Citrix sessions too - which is a boon if you use that sort of stuff (we do).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tjb View Post
    We use NetOP which I DO NOT recommend to anybody...

I too will certainly check out some of the suggestions above.
    Too right - biggest waste of money we ever spent - was very glad to see the back of it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    We have a folder with a .dat for each ICT suite in, that only has the details for that room, when a teacher kicks up ABTutor, a script looks at the name of the teacher PC and puts them in the appropriate folder for the room. Us IT techs get access to all the rooms - you can choose a PC by name fairly simply. We did it like this because we had a problem with (some) teachers using the system to control PCs in other teacher's lessons - so we had to lock it down. I believe in the latest version - you can turn off the "Find" button - so should be even easier - though we haven't rolled that one out yet.

Also - it works for TS/Citrix sessions too - which is a boon if you use that sort of stuff (we do).
    Yeah, I do pretty much the same, except we just used one .dat file otherwise it would have been too much administrative overhead to create/change policies and the like for 20+ installations each with their own dat file; I appreciate why you did it the way you did prior to the recent introduction of the ability to disable Find for users. I also use a script which queries which OU the current Tutor computer is in. I have created Groups in ABTC, so the script passes the currentou with the -g parameter to launch them into the correct group (classroom).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Kay View Post
    Thanks for the responses! We've ruled out LanSchool after trying it out and also I note no-one here recommended it.

So that leaves AB Tutor and Impero. We've requested a trial of both and hopefully we'll get round trying them out by the end of the week.

A very kind offer, but we're in Yorkshire! Thanks anyway.
    LanSchool is actually quite good, for its small footprint. I would recommend LanScool for easy to use and comprehensive classroom mangement, but is does take a little configuration, mind you, most classroom control software does.
    It is interesting to note that Promethian use a rebranded version of LanSchool with some features disabled as thier remote control software.

Thank Post
    Too right - biggest waste of money we ever spent - was very glad to see the back of it.
    Seconded! JungleByte here now, vast improvement.

Thank Post
    I can recommend iTALC or Lanview. It depends on what functionality you need. (iTALC is more secure, Lanview has a view extra natty features).

Both are free.

iTALC

MST Software

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bump for SynchronEyes here - made by the people who do SmartBoards. Works quite nicely and AD GPO deployable.

Thank Post
    Hi L.Kay.

I don't know what version NetSupport School you had but I would recommend trying the new version (10.1).

Things have improved in versions released over the last few years, in that if a student reboots their pc, when it starts up again, the Tutor settings are picked up again. So blanking the screen will re-appear if that is the setting made by the Tutor.

There have also been improvements with internet & application blocking over time due to the introduction of new technology.

It won't cost you anything to try it out for 30 days, just visit the website to download for free. Netsupport School The Classroom Management Software

Also - if you had NetSupport School previously, depending on when you first purchased it, you may get a reduced price if you decided to update to the latest version.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Rebecca_H; 20th November 2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Added in new version number and a bit more info.

Thank Post
    Just had the flyer for ABTutor v6 - looks even better!

AB Tutor Control

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

May I ask why? Just so we don't get NetOp breathing down our necks without a valid reason!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca_H View Post
    Hi L.Kay.

I don't know what version NetSupport School you had but I would recommend trying the new version (10.1).

Things have improved in versions released over the last few years, in that if a student reboots their pc, when it starts up again, the Tutor settings are picked up again. So blanking the screen will re-appear if that is the setting made by the Tutor.

There have also been improvements with internet & application blocking over time due to the introduction of new technology.

It won't cost you anything to try it out for 30 days, just visit the website to download for free. Netsupport School The Classroom Management Software

Also - if you had NetSupport School previously, depending on when you first purchased it, you may get a reduced price if you decided to update to the latest version.

Hope this helps.
    I just downloaded 10.5 yesterday. I couldn't work without NSM. It really is the best choice for remote management, but it does cost.

Thank Post
    Hi All,

Just reading through this thread I see a couple of you report some bad experiences with Netop School.

To qualify: We're an IT supplier to schools and amongst the solutions we provide is NetOp School. If possible I would like to know more about the negative experiences you have had so that we can feed this back to NetOp.

We have been working with NetOp for a few years and have hundreds of happy customers (I know... I would say that ) so it would be really helpful to have your feedback on the School product.

I know this post is slightly off topic and I donít want to hijack this thread so please feel free to PM me. Also, if it helps, we would be happy to offer any assistance we can in getting the most out of your NetOp products for you.

Regards

Thank Post
    We used Lanview for a while but found it to be a bit flaky, we have now moved onto AB Tutor and haven't looked back, does all the stuff we require regarding blocking plus it enables us to push out mass messaging to the masses

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast