+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Software not compatible? in Technical; Hi my first post and new to community connect so please be patient, I've been trying to install my companies ...

Thank Post

Software not compatible?

Hi my first post and new to community connect so please be patient,

I've been trying to install my companies software on a cc3 network. I used the msi to build a package which all goes fine. the allocation of the package to the individual workstations also went without any problems.

Now trying to run the software on the workstations, it runs, but it doesnt do anything, all i get is a window with a black screen? the software itself is a multimedia application made in flash compiled into an exe (macromedia projector) file using director. I've also tried installing the software locally on the workstations and it still doesn't work? anyone know whats wrong?

thanks in advanced
    Last edited by vavaclio; 26th September 2008 at 11:07 PM.

Thank Post
    My guess would be some kind of permissions problem.

Does your program try to access files on the C drive at all when it runs?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    My guess would be some kind of permissions problem.

Does your program try to access files on the C drive at all when it runs?
    yes, the application needs to access the C drive in order to run, it needs to load the swfs, flvs and xmls all from the c drive.

Thank Post
    crc-ict i think you are right, i dont have access to a cc3 system at the moment, but i've just deleted the files my software needs to run and have just replicated the problem i am having on the cc3 system. it would be great if you could advise me on how to allow the software access to the C drive. thanks for your help.

Thank Post
    The first thing to try is to see if it runs when logged in as an administrator. If it does, then it's a permissions issue - either file system (NTFS permissions), registry permissions or a software restriction policy (trying to run an executeable file from somewhere it isn't allowed to).

With CC3 it's fairly easy to work around these kind of problems. You can use writeaccess.ini files with your MSI package to specify permissions for files, folders or registry keys and the CC3 management console allows you to modify software restrictions policies if you need to.

The tricky bit is trying to identify them in the first place. Find out from the developer if the program needs to be able to write to C drive or to the registry, or if it needs to run executable files from anywhere other than c:\program files. You could also use a tool like Process Monitor (FileMon for Windows) which will help you to identify if file or registry access is failing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    The first thing to try is to see if it runs when logged in as an administrator. If it does, then it's a permissions issue - either file system (NTFS permissions), registry permissions or a software restriction policy (trying to run an executeable file from somewhere it isn't allowed to).

With CC3 it's fairly easy to work around these kind of problems. You can use writeaccess.ini files with your MSI package to specify permissions for files, folders or registry keys and the CC3 management console allows you to modify software restrictions policies if you need to.

The tricky bit is trying to identify them in the first place. Find out from the developer if the program needs to be able to write to C drive or to the registry, or if it needs to run executable files from anywhere other than c:\program files. You could also use a tool like Process Monitor (FileMon for Windows) which will help you to identify if file or registry access is failing.
    the program also needs to write to an xml file which is stores somewhere on the c drive, other than that, it doesnt need to write anything to the registry. any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank Post
    It may be worth sending this MSI to an experienced CC3 administrator for them to try and make it work as it could just be an issue with the CC3 network you're using.

I'm happy to spend an hour on Monday toying with it if you wish.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    It may be worth sending this MSI to an experienced CC3 administrator for them to try and make it work as it could just be an issue with the CC3 network you're using.

I'm happy to spend an hour on Monday toying with it if you wish.
    that would be great, how would i go about sending you the msi?

Thank Post
    Entirely up to you, either PM me a link to download it from somewhere (rapidshare or something?) or I can provide you with an FTP Account to upload it to if you'd rather.

Thank Post
    Entirely up to you, either PM me a link to download it from somewhere (rapidshare or something?) or I can provide you with an FTP Account to upload it to if you'd rather.
    i can upload to megaupload overnight and send you the link in the morning

Thank Post
    Perfect, I shall wait for your PM and get back to you.

Thank Post
    Perfect, I shall wait for your PM and get back to you.
    thanks alot

Thank Post
    Very welcome indeed

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread