+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, UNWANTED SERVER PROFILE... in Technical; hi all, im running a win03r2 network with ranger. i recently removed the 'profiles link' in active directory as i ...

Thank Post

UNWANTED SERVER PROFILE...

hi all,

im running a win03r2 network with ranger. i recently removed the 'profiles link' in active directory as i only wan to use local profiles.

i also deleted the cached profiles on the client pc's.

the problem is that the client stil l drags accross the DC default profile when a student logs in. ive double checked the AD for any hint of profiles for these users and the field is blank in the user properties... this results is a dull grey wallpaper and all the wrong icons for all users.

i'd be grateful for any pointers on how i can make the local profiles take priority...

many thanks,

ray

Thank Post

PLEASE FIND YOUR CAPS KEY

Quote Originally Posted by adminray View Post
    the problem is that the client stil l drags accross the DC default profile when a student logs in. ive double checked the AD for any hint of profiles for these users and the field is blank in the user properties... this results is a dull grey wallpaper and all the wrong icons for all users.
    Well, yes, the initial profile for a local user still has to come from somewhere. If the default user profile on the server is broken in some way just copy one from a fresh Windows installation.

Thank Post
    thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply.

a couple of questions - is it the 'default user' or 'all users' directory that i should copy to the server? also, i have to user several different types of pcs, hence several different images with slightly different sware installations on them. so the desktops differ according to image....

really, i dont want to client to dra the profile - any profile - from the remote server: i want it to look at the local 'all users' or local default profile that would have been created when i worked on the image as a locally logged on user to that machine, not the domain.just like if we wernt using a domain at all, just adding local users to an XP machine using a default profile.

any help greatly appreciated.

ray

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adminray View Post
    is it the 'default user' or 'all users' directory that i should copy to the server?
    Default User.

also, i have to user several different types of pcs, hence several different images with slightly different sware installations on them. so the desktops differ according to image....
    Well, you need to work out what settings you want to have in a user's profile by default, and base your profile on this.

really, i dont want to client to dra the profile - any profile - from the remote server: i want it to look at the local 'all users' or local default profile that would have been created when i worked on the image as a locally logged on user to that machine, not the domain.just like if we wernt using a domain at all, just adding local users to an XP machine using a default profile.
    It's a one-time event, once the local profile is created it's over and done with. Your default profile shouldn't be more than a couple of MiB anyway (mine is ~300K). The reason it comes from a logon server is so that in a year's time when you want to change a default setting, you don't have to deploy it to hundreds of machines - just in one place.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread