+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Changing users home directory in CC3 to a SAN on a mac server! in Technical; I'm now about half way through migration of our accounts to our new samba server. I use this vbscript to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I'm now about half way through migration of our accounts to our new samba server. I use this vbscript to reset the path to the homedirectories.
    you should also check and see what adsiedit says about where the path is.

Code:
    set objParent = GetObject("LDAP://OU=year group,DC=example,DC=college,DC=internal")

Set shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

objparent.Filter = Array("user")

for each objUser in objParent

objUser.put "homedrive", "H:"

objuser.HomeDirectory = "\\servername\" & objUser.get("sAMAccountName") 

objuser.Setinfo

next

Wscript.Echo "Done"

Thank Post
    Thanks Cyber nerd BUT..
    I'm guessing that you do not have CC3 on your network!
    I could well use your script in the future but at the moment even if I did run it CC3 would throw a wobbler as it seems to insist that the users home directory is on a CC3 server!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    no it's not CC3, but we keep getting told by RM fanbois that CC3 is simply an extra layer to assist in management and that you can still use MSwindows as it was intended.
    see what adsiedit says, maybe just change one and see what happens.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Even though CC3 is an additional layer, that additional layer does more magic behind the scenes that helps things work, as well as making the required changes to the MS side of things.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Even though CC3 is an additional layer, that additional layer does more magic behind the scenes that helps things work, as well as making the required changes to the MS side of things.
    More like Black Magic.

Thank Post
    Same sort of problem here! got a San! got San drives showing on the CC3 servers does RMMC see the users folders? does it boot, any real ideas guys spoke to RM they just said check permissions.

Thank Post
    Hi,

What you need to do is to backup the drives except the C drive on the server and then attach the san to the CC3 server as as iSCSI and then map a LUN for each drive to the server. Then give the LUN drive a different letter temporarely i.e. X and restore the data from backup to X i.e. if you backed up the D drive restore to X and do for all the other drives except C drive. Then change the drive letter of the X to D and so on and rename the old drivers to other letter than what they are.

What this will do is make the drive which is a LUN on SAN appear to the CC3 server as a normal drive that is physically installed on the server except it is not but is on the SAN. This way you don't need to do any AD user pforile or drive mapping it is taken care of it as the drive just appears as a local drive to the CC3 server. This is the same way RM converts their customers to SAN and is what we have done 3 years ago here and its been fine.

Ash.

8. Thanks to spc-rocket from:

MrDarcy (29th April 2011)

Thank Post
    On CC3 you can only store user home directories on the CC3 domain controllers. Basically they have to appear under the H:\ drive on est-sr-001 or the like.

As Ash says you have to present the SAN storage as actual drive letters on your CC3 domain controllers (rather than just editing the active directory home directory path to point to your SAN). So the home directory should always be \\est-sr-001 rather than \\san-name.

I don't know if your apple server actually supports this method so can't really help there.

Butuz

Thank Post
    We've had a similar experience but with more success, we've had users created in our domain and pointed their home folders in AD to another server on another domain on another site with complete success ... I suspect the difference may be down to permissions, I had rights as an admin on both domains and it asked about granting permissions to our domain to the location on the other but once that was done it has worked perfectly well.
    Last edited by CyberDrac; 17th August 2010 at 03:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    Seem to think CC3 must have it's home directories on a CC3 server... could be wrong, just seem to remember reading it somewhere!
    Not from a technical point of view. We moved our CC3 user directories (not profiles) to virtual servers last year. Worked ok, helped us move to vanilla.

You do lose things in the MCC and some manual fiddling is required but it worked.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12