+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, serial number of a cc3 server in Technical; Hi chaps, Good to be back..... :-( This morning, I walked in to find hdd0 of a raid 5 array ...

Thank Post

serial number of a cc3 server

Hi chaps,

Good to be back..... :-(

This morning, I walked in to find hdd0 of a raid 5 array on the frdc has gone...doh. My bigger problem is that I don't know the serial of the server and RM are saying they can't progress the call until they get the serial. There's no sticker on the server anywhere..They pointed me to a folder on the cc3 server called rminst which contained no useful info, i found a folder called $rmints$ which did contain a serial number but they reckon THAT machine doesn't have a raid...arghh..

Long question short, any other way of getting the serial number of an RM CC3 server...

Thank Post
    Why is it always such a hassle to do the simplest things with RM, I had the same problem myself and eventually by speaking to our account manager managed to get them to send me a list of all the servers they had ever sold our school with the serial numbers and spec so I could match up the serial numbers to the servers spec and make my own stickers for the ones missing them. Apparently there should be a sticker on the back of all of them, but our most recent RM servers have no such sticker anywhere on their chassis!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Then someone at school has taken them off i would guess.

All machines that come out of rm have that sticker on somewhere it part of quality control that they checked label is on. In all time delt with RM I have never seen a machine not come with them on.

On the servers they are often on bottom side. All in one they are near where the keyboard and monitor plug into etc. It is silver by the way if you had a machine recently and not come with sticker on it then go and ask account manager to get one sent to.

As for finding serial number; -

Support Article TEC9819

What is the serial number of my RM computer or server and where can I find it?
    Published Date : 22 Mar 2002 Last Updated : 21 Sep 2007 Content Ref: TEC9819

Operating System (All)
    Part No (none)
    Summary How to find the serial number of your RM computer or server.

Procedure

RM computers and servers have a unique serial number
    Overview
    Any computer or server manufactured by RM will have a unique RM serial number. It is very important that when you call us that we are given the correct serial number for the particular system involved. It is also important that you use the correct serial number when looking for Knowledge Library articles relevant to your system.

For RM computers and servers:
    The main number that we need to know is the serial number; from this number we can obtain the model number. Both these numbers can be found on your system.

The model number (also called the part number) is always five or six characters - more than one system may have the same model number.

The serial number is always two letters followed by eight digits - each serial number is unique. From the serial number we can obtain the model number.

For example:

Model Serial number
    31983 WO23455601
    031-776 WO23456702
    HJ435 MO12345601
    HJ435 TO90776501

Please note: MO, TO and WO above are letters (eg WO stands for 'work order'). RM model numbers (also known as RM part numbers) are used on our Web site in the format of nnn-nnn (eg 0A2-345 is the same as A2345).

Where can I find the serial number?
    The serial number and model number can be found on one or more labels on your system:

The back of the computer (or underside of a notebook).
    If your computer was purchased after July '98 it may also have a silver label on either the left or right-hand side of the case as well.
    Inside the battery compartment of your notebook.
    It may also be displayed on the General page in System Properties (Start menu, Control Panel, System) of your Microsoft® Windows® system.

In addition it is recorded:

In the file C:\RMEQUIP.LOG file (Equipment Log) on your factory installed hard disk (a copy is also often made as C:\RMEQUIP.TXT).
    In the Equipment Log (available online from www.rm.com/support from the 'Serial number search' function in the Knowledge Library search page).
    The Equipment Log also contains information about your hardware, the drivers required and the serial numbers of the components in your system. This will help you to identify your equipment if it is stolen and later recovered by the police (see example below).

Example equipment log (C:\RMEQUIP.LOG)

This lists the RM hardware and software options on your system. The driver reference name is indicated in square brackets and may be used to identify and download the latest drivers and manuals from the RM Web site: http://www.rm.com/support

Your manuals are also located in the C:\RM\MANUALS directory on your hard disk.

SERIAL NUMBER: WO90775801
    PART NUMBER: JA850
    DESCRIPTION : F/A-1.7P4 ACD 40/512SD 16A MI IXFW2K 128PSCDRW **
    OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 2000 Professional (1-2 CPU) (N6263) [WIN2K]
    RM Recovery CD: PN FK515
    Operating System Registration PID: 0001904152xxxx
    FILESYSTEM: Primary NTFS partition
    MOTHERBOARD: RM Intel D845HV Micro ATX 845 Chipset [D845HV]
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1.7GHz (133MHz Front Side Bus)
    LEVEL 2 CACHE: 256K Full Speed Write Back
    RAM: 512MB (SDRAM)
    FLOPPY DRIVE A: 3.5 1.44Mb
    IDE PRIMARY MASTER: 40000MB
    CD-ROM: Sony CRX-1611 x16 x10 x40 IDE CD-RW [CRX1611]
    VIDEO: nVidia VANTA-16 AGP 16MB [VANTA]
    SOUND: Creative Audio PCI128V (CT4816) [CT4816]
    ETHERNET: Intel On Board Pro/100 VE RJ45/Fast [082559ET]
    ETHERNET ADDRESS: 000347C2A34C
    MOUSE: Microsoft Ergonomic Mouse with wheel [ERGO2]
    COM1 : Enhanced 16550A at I/O 3F8h IRQ4
    LPT1 : Centronics Compatible at I/O 378h IRQ7

SECURITY INFORMATION:
    Default BIOS password: RM
    MAINBOARD: Intel Corporation D845HV for RM plc Serial No. IMHV14005219
    DIMM 1: Manufacturer - Infineon Serial Number - 071E4954
    DIMM 2: Manufacturer - Infineon Serial Number - 071E3D70
    IDE PRIMARY MASTER : MAXTOR 6L040J2 Serial Number - 662134154609
    IDE PRIMARY SLAVE : None
    IDE SECONDARY MASTER: SONY CRX1611
    IDE SECONDARY SLAVE : None
    CPU: Family=15 Model=0 Stepping=10 Serial Number - 00000F0A007A704000000000

Thank Post
    Depending on the number of servers you have or the number you bought with similar specs you could logon to rm online and check your hardware listed on there. You may be able to work out what the serial is also if the others servers have the necessary stickers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do they not also flash the appropriate serial numbers to the BIOS under the chassis data table? Every half competent supplier that I have dealt with has managed that as it is simply a case of using the appropriate tool to add it into the BIOS flash.

You should be able to check by using a tool that can read DMI/SM BIOS information out. Most system information programs can do this (Everest) and you can even use WMI scripts (but that is a little more involved) to check out if they have included the information in there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Then someone at school has taken them off i would guess.

All machines that come out of rm have that sticker on somewhere it part of quality control that they checked label is on. In all time delt with RM I have never seen a machine not come with them on.

On the servers they are often on bottom side. All in one they are near where the keyboard and monitor plug into etc. It is silver by the way if you had a machine recently and not come with sticker on it then go and ask account manager to get one sent to.
    Our almost brand new server that was supplied by RM around April, just before I started as NM definitely does not have a sticker. I'm very un-impressed by that server in general as it's not a rack server, but has had rack rails crudely screwed on the side and the chassis is very cheaply built. Saying that, it does work ok and the spec is OK. Why do RM make the C:\ partition so tiny so when I get a large stack of print jobs stuck in a queue my disk fills up and I'm also annoyed that you can't team the network cards on any of our RM servers, as they all have two different makes of network card on board, why?? Some things about the way RM configure their servers just does't make sense!

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 9th September 2008 at 09:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Do they not also flash the appropriate serial numbers to the BIOS under the chassis data table? Every half competent supplier that I have dealt with has managed that as it is simply a case of using the appropriate tool to add it into the BIOS flash.

You should be able to check by using a tool that can read DMI/SM BIOS information out. Most system information programs can do this (Everest) and you can even use WMI scripts (but that is a little more involved) to check out if they have included the information in there.

They do well all rm hardware that dealt with in past few years has had serial number flashed to the bios..

Russ

Thank Post
    I had a similar problem with a RM machine. I called them and they said because of the missing serial number label they couldn't help. In the end I just gave up with them and went and bought another one. I wont be buying or using their equipment again, I tell you that for free!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    They do well all rm hardware that dealt with in past few years has had serial number flashed to the bios..

Russ
    All my workstations have that (going back 8 years) and my 5yo server has it - but the 3yo server doesn't have it.

To check, log on to the server, open a command prompt, and type wmic SystemEnclosure get SerialNumber

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread