+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Forensic Software or School Guardian which one in Technical; If we add Securus into the discussion... whould this be the better choice ? Rather than Smoothwall or Forensic ?...
    Thank Post

Let's add Securus

If we add Securus into the discussion... whould this be the better choice ? Rather than Smoothwall or Forensic ?

Thank Post
    @Grommit: Since your reason behind the purchase it to prevent the use of anonymisers, Smoothwall is the obvious choice - it sits there and filters and it is extremely well priced.

If your motivation behind the purchase was to combat a cyberbullying problem, Securus or Forensic are the products to go for since they will scrape the screen catching nasty emails, word processed documents, etc.

I think that ideally, you would get both types of product but the screen-scraper things are very rpicey and are therefore hard to justify if you don't have a perceived problem.

3. Thanks to Ric_ from:

Grommit (24th July 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    We run IPcop proxy here and to date it has cost us nothing for 5 years got virtually everything nailed down even the PHP and CGI proxy sites and as for Cyberbulling through e-mail we run Zimbra which uses a bad word filter log which denies the sender and redirects bad messages to an alias account which can be accessed by anyone who has access to this account and reports made.
    Looking at a project to create a client which will capture screen and log to database any bad words or abusive comments.
    We don't have much by the way of funding so we have to look at building certain things ourselves.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @Grommit: Since your reason behind the purchase it to prevent the use of anonymisers, Smoothwall is the obvious choice - it sits there and filters and it is extremely well priced.

If your motivation behind the purchase was to combat a cyberbullying problem, Securus or Forensic are the products to go for since they will scrape the screen catching nasty emails, word processed documents, etc.

I think that ideally, you would get both types of product but the screen-scraper things are very rpicey and are therefore hard to justify if you don't have a perceived problem.
    mmm OK... which is better for Screen Scraping ... Forensic or Securus ?

Thank Post
    Good question.. I've been using Securus for a number of years now, and had no problems until recently.. which, in fairness, they are coming in to work at until resolved. I'm a long way down the line to swapping to Policy Central though at this point. I've been trialling that, and it's had no issues yet.

I don't want to compare the two here at the moment, as I think the issues with Securus would level the field if fixed properly, but I'd be interested in other opinions.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12