+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Net Support School Logs in Technical; I have a suspicion that a student has a copy of the tutor software on a pen drive, is there ...
    Thank Post

Net Support School Logs

I have a suspicion that a student has a copy of the tutor software on a pen drive, is there a log file that will allow me to check what IP's connected to which hosts?

Also i'll be looking into locking this ability out what's the best method?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    The easiest way to stop students from taking over with their own tutor is to set a security key on the stations. The tutor key has to match the student keys or they will refuse the connection.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you allow students to run .exe from a pen drive? I would block them from running them and then they cant run netsupport

Thank Post

We had this problem a while back

This was before massive pen drive use, and as previously stated we wouldn't let anyone run an application from a pen drive now, but the same problem can occur from cd's or the student's area.

We put a security key on all workstations, and on the servers we set them up with a separate password as well. Net support is a fabulous application but students can download the exe from the internet and once in they're away.

By the way at the time we got a lot of worried reports from teachers who said someone was taking over their desktop because their mouse had a hair in the sensor!

Thank Post
    As well as the Security key you can use an AD policy setting to prevent the Tutor running for users/groups that you think shouldn't have it.

Add the key General\DisablePCINSSUI=1 to the usual NetSupport place and it will stop the Tutor running.

Rob

Thank Post
    I'll look into setting that cheers Rob. Is there any log that i can view to see what connections have been made?

@FN-Greatermanchester: we do use software restriction policy but currently it doesn't block running them from pen drives but it will soon. I'm not convinced that the student even had the remote tutor as the teacher was very vague about what happened. She clained that a student could see her screen but i checked and the student/client program isn't running on the teacher PC so i suspect she either accidentally showed her screen to the student (which she swears blind she didn't) of the student was just having her on. Anyway she's going to complain to SMT as she imagins that it's something i've setup incorrectly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread