+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Network Calendar software in Technical; Does anyone have any recommendations for some efficient calendar software. We have a new head that is strting in sept ...

Thank Post

Smile Network Calendar software

Does anyone have any recommendations for some efficient calendar software. We have a new head that is strting in sept who would llike some softwre to be put on to enable staff to logon to laptops in the morning and read any bulletins, meetings etc etc... she also wants it to be PDA friendly so she can upload any new info - or changes to the day when she's not onsite!
    She has used software called Calendarscope previously - which I thought was a little out of our budget for the number of licenses required! Is there anything else out there that any one knows about - that doesn't cost a packet!!??
    Thanks

Thank Post
    do you have a e-portal?
    our LEA privide us with one, MGRID it is called and when you log in it has a callendar system where people onand off site can add events or meetings

3. Thanks to sharkster from:

jfellowes (25th June 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use the free and open source edition of Zimbra.

5. Thanks to webman from:

jfellowes (25th June 2008)

Thank Post

Question

Forgot to add - we are running a CC3 network with Server 2003. I looked at the Zimbra package - very impressed. But is it compatible? From what i could see - it is for Linux OS? Am i wrong - couldn't find where else to look!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, Zimbra will only run on Linux (and Mac OS X if you're that way inclined). We run Zimbra on our CC3 network without problems as it supports LDAP and Active Directory authentication. It does require its own servers, so perhaps overkill simply for calendaring. See also Bongo Project

Thank Post
    I use a free calendar thingy on a website I've done from Calendarix. Uses PHP and is very customisable although I haven't played around with it too much yet. It allows users to add remove things though I don't think it supports LDAP (I use a mysql database for my users so I've not looked into it any further)

Thank Post
    We seem to have missed the blindingly obvious.

Microsoft Exchange

Desktop client support, pda support, web support. Happy Days?!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fooby View Post
    Microsoft Exchange
    The last time I checked, MSexChange cost more than a packet...

Thank Post
    Depends on the value of packet, for large values of packet it should be ok, for small values of packet, there may be multiples of packet involved in purchasing exchange + outlook.... back to the thread.

I had assumed exchange was already in place as an email / calendaring solution.

Next stop - Microsoft Sharepoint Services? - RSS feed auto creation (many other clients then) inc new websites, many templates to have things appear pretty - calendar views - windows integrated authentication, pda views.

hope this helps (p.s, sharepoint has a small value of packet - namely zero (assuming you have already bought a windows server (any) )

Thank Post
    I haven't checked, but i'm guessing there are mobile versions of google calendar that would be OK. This was my first hit: GooSync Home Page (available in packet sizes of 0 and 19.95/yr). One advantage of gcal is that people are keen to write addons for all google apps, so you can usually find what you want.

I'm looking at making better use of our Exchange setup in the short term, seeing as it's already bought and paid for.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Zimbra is a good option, the calendar feature is very strong. From our experience of exchange, the zimbra server surpasses exchange in terms of features price and maintenance time - if you can install linux it is a no-brainer, if you can't then you should really learn to.

The Google education deal is also free; the calendar is great. A very good option if you don't want to host yourself
    Google For Educators - Calendar

Thank Post
    We now use the open source release of Zimbra... it is very easy to install and means you don't have to worry about licensing the sae as with Exchange (which we used to use).

We will be pushing some of the more advanced features as of next week - calendar sharing (administrators can assign shared calendars), briefcases (along with briefcase sharing), access from phones, PDAS, etc.

Zimbra really does kick ass. Just for a giggle I used my LG Secret phone to check my email over 3G this morning! (I'll get my coat!)

I suppose it depends if the functionality will be extended - with Zimbra you can enable components as you desire (it's only tick boxes for email, calendar, briefcase, IM, etc.)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread