+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, PaperCut Notifications in Technical; For the last couple of days we've been testing PaperCut to control our printing. Everything's working fine except 'notifications', ie, ...

Thank Post

PaperCut Notifications

For the last couple of days we've been testing PaperCut to control our printing. Everything's working fine except 'notifications', ie, the message users should recieve when they exceed their print quota or for any other rule you have introduced.
    Nothing happens, I just can't get it to work! And what method does the software use to deliver the message?! The FAQ's seems to suggest balloon tips and the manual, winpopup. I've enabled the Messanger service in Services to run at Start up and balloon tips are enabled on the workstations. Any pointers much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Hrm thats interesting.

Have you tested the messenger service to verify it is working?

Also are you sure that papercut is set to hand out notifications as i would check there also.

Thank Post
    This is what my screen looks like if I try and print from a restricted account. I get two messages, one from the client software in the form of a balloon, and a popup from the messenger service as well.

Mike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Thanks to maniac from:

markesmith (4th June 2008)

Bounced Users
    Thank Post
    works for me here as well.

notifications can be sent various ways.
    Winpopup (or "net send")

User Client - messages are sent to users running the PaperCut NG User Client tool.

Email - messages are delivered by email, to the email address defined in the system.

Custom - this allows you to develop your own message delivery mechanism. This might be useful if your organization has an instant messaging infrastructure.

have you disabled balloon tips from appearing? This is set somewhere in AD

what options have you got under Printers → Notification Options?

What happens when you use the Test Notifications options (Options → Notifications)

Also are you running the latest papercut version?

6. Thanks to SOSAGES from:

markesmith (4th June 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markesmith View Post
    For the last couple of days we've been testing PaperCut to control our printing. Everything's working fine except 'notifications', ie, the message users should recieve when they exceed their print quota or for any other rule you have introduced.
    Nothing happens, I just can't get it to work! And what method does the software use to deliver the message?! The FAQ's seems to suggest balloon tips and the manual, winpopup. I've enabled the Messanger service in Services to run at Start up and balloon tips are enabled on the workstations. Any pointers much appreciated.
    hi,

i have also encountered in the same pğroblem. i have searched internet many timez and i reached a valuable information. i want to talk abot the solution.

if you use windows xp sp2 (warning!!! specially xp sp2) or you install service pack 2 for your windows xp version, the service of messenger is then disabled. this service is normally responsibel to send the message between workstations and also is one of integrated microsoft services. please right click on my computer icon, then click manage. after that in the following window, please select services from the left tree. then at the right part of the window, go to the messenger service then double click it. after that, select auto setting for startup type, then click apply button, and then click start the service pressing start button. then click ok. after doen all these things, you can get winpopup messages using papercut software solution.

in addition, i suggest that a client tool also can be run to see instant budget on the desktop. to do this, shortly, run the client tool using start menu under the menu of papercut ng.

thanks...

good workings to all of you encountered in the same issue...

greating from Turkey,

Thank Post
    I'd say it's better to use their client tool to display notifications, rather than Windows. But that's just my preference.

Thank Post
    Yep client tool is recommend if you want your users to get some feedback or interaction with the software.

Thank Post
    Hi

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I am also having problems with PaperCut Notifications and would like some assistance.

I am currently using the 40 day Papercut NG trial. I am using the standard windows dialogs to show notifications on the screen instead of the popup balloon notification. I am having problems with the notification window dialog not appearing at the front of the active window on Windows 7. I have to minimise the active windows or active application and then I can see the notification windows dialog. Once I have closed the first notification window dialog, the following dialog boxes will be appear infront of the active window or active application. I have contacted PaperCut support for assistance and they are looking into the problem.

Does anybody else have a problem notifications appearing behing the active windows or active application?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you deployed the client tool, and made sure that it is the correct version for the server version you are running? The best way of doing this I found is the logon script/program way; but the adding to the "Startup" folder on the Start Menu also works a dream. This is what Im doing now - and notifications are running fine from the client. Also, make sure you have the settings for printers/users/groups (which ever you are enforcing restrictions via).

User Client

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread