+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, hp 6720s wireless in Technical; Got 6 of these in a trolley, latest intel drivers, set to start at bootup, windows configures etc but will ...
    Thank Post

hp 6720s wireless

Got 6 of these in a trolley, latest intel drivers, set to start at bootup, windows configures etc but will not let a domain user logon even with a cached profile as the wireless doesn't seem to be picking up an ip address. If you logon as local administrator then log off and back on as a domain user it's fine. At the moment I've set them up with static addresses - any ideas?

Thank Post
    Well a static address made no difference, if a new user logs on I get the domain not available window, but if I log on using local user then log back on as new user it will let me log on! The laptop isn't connecting to the network until a user is logged on, but i don't know why.
    this isn't happening on any other laptops in school.

Thank Post
    I find JUST installing the drivers from Intel website and not the bloat software, and using XP to manage to wireless, and static IPs seem to work no problems (only problem we do have is an inability to install managed software at startup)

Although this is using non-HP laptops, but seems to work on intel chips no probs.
    Last edited by mullet_man; 3rd June 2008 at 02:42 PM.

Thank Post
    I've just rolled some of these out to staff and found that removing the HP wireless software was the best option. All are set to use dynamic addressing and wireless works fine.

Thank Post
    I haven't installed the wireless assistant, when I installed XP I just installed the drivers. It's now driving me mad!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 2,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Make sure that only the standard protocols are enabled on the wireless adapter in properties, TCP/IP, Client for Microsoft Networks, File and printer sharing. I ahd problems with a batch of laptops that had protocols like AGEIS and other random junk that stopped people from logging in until I killed it along with the extra wireless software junk from intel.

Thank Post
    Please let us know how you get on with these - im after getting 100+, if they can't do pre-logon wireless (like all centrino's should when used with WZC) then they'll be pretty useless!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Got 6 of these in a trolley, latest intel drivers, set to start at bootup, windows configures etc but will not let a domain user logon even with a cached profile as the wireless doesn't seem to be picking up an ip address. If you logon as local administrator then log off and back on as a domain user it's fine. At the moment I've set them up with static addresses - any ideas?
    When you logon locally, if you do an ipconfig /all from a command prompt, is the IP configuration correct or has it been allocated a 169.x.x.x address? If you plug in the laptop via ethernet, does it get an IP ok? This will confirm whether DHCP on the server and client is working ok.

Presumably you've tested other laptops with the same Access Point? I would also work with just the Intel drivers and let XP manage wireless for you. It is very robust in my experience.

Thank Post
    I'm using windows to manage the connection, nothing other than standard protocols, static ip address now rather than dynamic - guess what? Still will not let a new user logon!
    Cached logons are ok, so for the moment as I've only got 6 I've logged on as each class (12) on each laptop and as soon as the laptop is logged on using cached profiles the wireless kicks in and mapped drives are available. If I try to logon as a new user I get the 'Domain is not available' but if I logon as a cached user then log off i can then logon as a new user. The wireless is on at startup, other laptops using the same access point are fine.
    Ran out of patience with them last week so am leaving them for a while and will have another go in a few weeks.

Thank Post
    What's the exact HP part number of the unit you've got? I can check to make sure it is capable of pre-connecting before logon

Also did you build an XP/vista image from scratch for them or are you using build that it shipped with?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    If you plug the laptop in via Ethernet, can you logon as a new user this way?

Could you check what channel this Access Point is using? Do you have another Access Point in a different location to try? And could you try temporarily disabling the Intel wireless and install a PCMCIA wireless adapter and see if you have the same problem?

It seems to me the problems are being caused because the laptops are not getting an IP in time, so roaming profiles or new users cannot logon.

If you leave a laptop turned on for 5 minutes (which is plenty of time to get an IP) does the problem of logging on as a new user still happen?

Thank Post
    It seems to me the problems are being caused because the laptops are not getting an IP in time, so roaming profiles or new users cannot logon.
    I've given them static ip addresses now, problem still exists.

What's the exact HP part number of the unit you've got? I can check to make sure it is capable of pre-connecting before logon
    I'll post it tommorrow, they came preinstalled with vista I used the xp downgrade and drivers that HP supplied me with, I don't use imaging we don't have enough money or infact enough computers to justify the cost!

Thank Post
    Right narrowed it down a bit, three wireless access points in school, channels 1, 6 and 11.
    The hp laptops will allow new users to logon at the two older access points channels 1 and 6, but not at the new access point.
    Other laptops in school are not affected, and can use any access point.

The old access points are buffalo wzr-g300n
    the new one wzr2-g300n.

Thank Post
    Anyone have suggestions for solutions to this?

HP laptop intel wireless 3945abg will not connect to the newer buffalo access point pre logon, therefore a new user gets the 'domain not availble etc' however, will connect for new user to 2 older buffalo access points. Other laptops in school not affected.

Hp laptop able to connect to wireless post logon, I've used netstumbler and turned off access points to check.

The newer access point is set o channel 11 the others are 1 and 6.

I'm sure it's going to be something simple I've missed but what?

Thank Post
    Hi

had exactly the same problem at my school

turned out that it wasnt the access points or the laptops - it was the switches

we are using hp 2510-48 switches with hp 530 access points

this was causing the problem you describe above - but plug an older access point into the switch and it works fine.

the latest update to the switch solved this problem.

i would look there myself

Daniel

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast