+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Ultimate debate: CC3/4 vs Rest of the World in Technical; The problem I have with this discussion (and just about everyone like it) is that people view the product as ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem I have with this discussion (and just about everyone like it) is that people view the product as what they can get out of it. How can I further my career and get a better job.

Perhaps I'm just old fashonied but the responsibilty of our jobs means we should be viewing it as what is best for the school and users.

During my time in this job I have recommended both vanilla and CC3 setup for schools because I know the schools and users and know which will suit them better. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

And no having CC3 doesn't at all limit your training. The school that has CC3 has paid for my RM certification and is now paying for MS Certification because they understand that both are important in my professional development. Will the MS tranining help with CC3? Of course it will.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    The problem I have with this discussion (and just about everyone like it) is that people view the product as what they can get out of it. How can I further my career and get a better job.
    CC3 here, it's not just a case of what can I get out of it!
    My worry would be that I become totally dependant on CC3 and then either the LEA tells us we are no longer in a contract with RM and we have to go non CC3 or RM were to go bust (Highly unlikely I know).
    Then all my non RM skills that have faded with time would be needed and I might not be up to the job!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post

Perhaps I'm just old fashonied but the responsibilty of our jobs means we should be viewing it as what is best for the school and users.

During my time in this job I have recommended both vanilla and CC3 setup for schools because I know the schools and users and know which will suit them better. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

And no having CC3 doesn't at all limit your training. The school that has CC3 has paid for my RM certification and is now paying for MS Certification because they understand that both are important in my professional development. Will the MS tranining help with CC3? Of course it will.
    Well, ultimately that is why I work. To better myself and look after myself and my dependents. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother. However, I see your point with regards to this debate.

Yes, I think CC would work well in a school where there are no technicians and the teachers do all of the managing. Here CC would help, because the teachers dunno how to manage a vanilla network.

With regards to what is best for the school and users, the school are paying us wages as technicians and by not going the CC route, we are saving the school 1000s of pounds in CC purchase, implementation and training costs. Money that can be better used elsewhere in the school.

Problem with training is, it is hard to come by. I've been trying to get training since I started and all I ever get is team building Gladiators-esk style activity fun days! Fun? Yes, but I've never had a networking related course at work ever. We're just expected to know it. So, online research and general usage is the only way I can learn. As I said before, with CC in place, this would be impossible.
    Last edited by Zoom7000; 29th May 2008 at 12:30 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12