+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Asus EEE PC on CC3 Network in Technical; Has anyone got any experience connecting Asus EEE PCs onto a CC3 network? The RM FAQs regarding how they work ...
    Thank Post

Asus EEE PC on CC3 Network

Has anyone got any experience connecting Asus EEE PCs onto a CC3 network?

The RM FAQs regarding how they work on a CC3 network seem very detailed, but don't seem to give me much information!

I would love for users to be able to log-on to the EEE PCs in a similar way to a CC3 PC and have access to their individual documents. Is this possible?
    It is not clear if I would need the Linux or Windows flavour, if I would also need RM Client Connect (especially if choosing the Windows version)?
    Are there any other hidden costs or problems that I would need to take into account?

Also, as a little side question, are their charging units available for EEE PCs (laptop trolley style)?

Thank Post
    I would recommend against putting all the cc3 gubbins onto an eeepc if you still want it to be usable!

However lots of people here have got them working in a school environment using the native linux OS, ubuntu or windows.

See:
    HOWTO: Integrate eeePC into existing Windows Network
    EeePC - Linux OS - EduGeek.net Wiki
    Asus eeePC Charging, Battery and Power-Saving Tips - EduGeek.net Wiki

Hope that helps.

Jona

Thank Post

EEE on CC3

We have them running at our school. However we do not connect them to the CC3 servers (big security risk).

We have them on a vlan so they can only see the Internet server. They can then use the extranet to get back in and it doesn't really touch our network.

That's the only workaround we could come up with.

RM haven't done anything with them yet on thier network, they keep asking us what we're doing with them for ideas.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LorenzosEar View Post
    RM haven't done anything with them yet on thier network, they keep asking us what we're doing with them for ideas.
    They ask us what we do to, they dont seem to have a clue... rather that or they dont care.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LorenzosEar View Post
    We have them running at our school. However we do not connect them to the CC3 servers (big security risk).
    Whats the big security risk?

Thank Post
    Basicly the EEEs have full root access and various programs can be added to bypass RM & Server 2003 security.

And you have to connect as an administrator to start with.

It is also a pain as it constantly requests if the user wants to re-map after reboot (to which most students will press no & end up standing outside your door asking yo to remap).

Thank Post
    I know the problem with the eeepc root access, I was surprised that having root access on the client would bypass the RM server security !

Thank Post
    If you put a Windows PC on a CC3 network with zero restrictions would that not be a security risk? Same applies to the root acces on linux.

We the give the minibooks to the pupils who take them home & could easily install wireshark or cain & able or something like that. Then you're through.

Thank Post
    I thought you were saying that it would be a big security risk to attach them to the CC3 - not that they are a security risk in their own right.

Your network and the server should be resilient to a kid with root/admin on a winows or linux cleint anyway regardless of whether its cc3

Thank Post
    Might have the wrong end of the stick here, but I put Windows on one with a USB pen then SmartCliented it to the network so it was like any other CC3 machine.

It was slow, but I had the lowest spec eee at the time. It might work better with the newer models and better speced ones.

Thank Post
    It should be but I don't want to take any risks with 800 of these floating about the school.

Yes our servers are resiliant but it's not just that that is the problem, it's the whole issue of mapping the drives to the RM share (long winded & you will constantly be doing it).

It's easier and more secure that they just go on the internet and come in through the extranet for thier documents. That's all our users need so we did not risk anything else.

That's just my advice, we are a only a small school with 750 curriculum PC's, 800 minibooks and 200 admin machines. What would we know?

Thank Post
    TBH I'd just have them accessing the homedrive share via an http webclient. We use the smb client for moodle. Students access their moodle page and can get access to their homedrive.
    The root access problem on eeepc is a proper PITA. Acer also did the same with their acpire on linpus

Thank Post
    You seem to have come to the same conclusion we did then.

Just use them as a web browsing device that can download documents.

They are PITA.

Thank Post
    It was the implication that a student with root access or an administrator account would somehow be a risk to a CC3 or server2003 network is what I wanted to get to the bottom of. Large sites such as universities allow students to have their own machines with root access and I wondered if there was a particular problem with cc3 that you implied

Thank Post
    Not perticularly with CC3 but if it is a risk in windows it will definatly be a risk in CC3.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast