+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Honest CC4 Feedback? in Technical; And you guys actually pay 90 quid per machine for all this hassle. Glad I went vanilla!...
    Thank Post
    And you guys actually pay 90 quid per machine for all this hassle. Glad I went vanilla!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All the additional time and hassle of writing scripts and creating GPOs and messing with ADM templates and buying a mish-mash of third-party software and trying to get WDS to work to run a vanilla network? Glad we're going CC4!

Last edited by webman; 4th December 2009 at 12:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Everything you mention is running just fine here, I suppose it depends on the NM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    And you guys actually pay 90 quid per machine for all this hassle. Glad I went vanilla!
    To right with that! Expecily considering its £90 for a Server 03 licence + the RM gubbins

Thank Post
    What method of deployment do you use?

Thank Post
    What method of deployment do you use
    Active Directory

Thank Post
    We've had problems with RIS in the past and have now moved to Acronis Snap Deploy which is a whole new world of pain.

We're now looking into Ghost has anyone had any success with this, sorry I'm hijacking the post.

Thank Post
    Everything you mention is running just fine here, I suppose it depends on the NM.
    To be fair, I would considor webman and bossman, I beleive, to know a fair bit and enough to setup their own Vanilla network.

9. 2 Thanks to Edu-IT:

bossman (4th December 2009), webman (4th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Ah thought you meant software deployment. For image deployment we use WDS, I must admit it's a pain to setup but once functioning it's no bother and a dream to use. We used to use ghost but could not justify spending 10 quid a machine to keep it going when WDS is free. I think with any deployment method there are hurdles to cross, but far better to jump over free ones.
    Last edited by jsnetman; 4th December 2009 at 12:50 PM.

Thank Post
    I also think your role has something to do with it. Do the school have the money and hours you need to manage a Vanilla network? Are they willing to let you have them etc.

Thank Post
    I am purely network management, meaning I don't get roped into class support or any other type of duties, I have a technician that deals with all the minor issues like printers not functioning and PC problems.

Thank Post
    I am purely network management, meaning I don't get roped into class support or any other type of duties, I have a technician that deals with all the minor issues like printers not functioning and PC problems.
    You're lucky then. Some of us get roped in to deal with anything that needs plugging in. If that's the case you have 40+ hours a week to manage your Vanilla network, I imagine.

Thank Post
    You're lucky then.
    yes correct. there was a time years ago that I was involved with all sorts of activities that were'nt really related to my job. When I argued for the move from RM in 2003 I insisted that my role must become network management only. The management agreed after seeing what they would save over a 3 year period staying with RM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts
    @jsnetman:

How much did you save overall going vanilla as you would still have to buy client licenses and server upgrade licenses plus hardware?

Don't know how big your organisation is but if we were to go vanilla it would mean taking on at least an extra member of staff who would have to be either trained or have the experience, more cost and more time.

All the extra's involved WSUS, RIS, WDS etc etc and the constant scripting which takes up time at a cost.

When you add up all these extra costs you could have upgraded or built a new CC4 platform for just the upgrade costs and managed it as you did the CC3.

I feel CC3 as a platform has proved it's weight in gold for us as an upwardly mobile school helping us achieve through various means of communication a very high spot in not only the LA's eye's but also in the community.

We came from being a low achieving school probably the worst in the county at the time to one which is now ranked 4th in the County and in the top 2% of the country, I truly believe our CC3 network has helped the school through all the communication services we have been able to incorperate into our IT busness systems.

Now as we move to CC4 it has cost us very little and as we already have our infrastructure in place will not cause us too much fuss by way of migration.

P.S. I do like vanilla systems and I am microsoft accredited but it is what I felt the school and the students wanted so here we are and it has proved to be a success story for us.

16. 2 Thanks to bossman:

Edu-IT (4th December 2009), webman (4th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Interesting bossman. I do think sometimes schools who take the RM route are seen to be 'less able' and this isn't always the case, people need to understand that. At the end of the day we're all here to do the best for the schools we work at and if that means RM, or whatever other company, then so be it.

18. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

webman (4th December 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast