+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Network Collapsed in Technical; In lots of schools ICT is absorbed into the entire curriculum and is no longer tought as a discreet subject ...
    Thank Post
    In lots of schools ICT is absorbed into the entire curriculum and is no longer tought as a discreet subject by a bunch of old-school hot heads that used to teach English. Granted there are less and less of these type now and things are moving forward.

Because of this, ICT is in use pretty much everwhere and not just concentrated in one or 2 "ICT" rooms. This whole selfish attitude of the "ICT Department" comes before any other department is obsurd and gets right on my t!ts

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 2,017 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    In lots of schools ICT is absorbed into the entire curriculum and is no longer tought as a discreet subject by a bunch of old-school hot heads that used to teach English. Granted there are less and less of these type now and things are moving forward.

Because of this, ICT is in use pretty much everwhere and not just concentrated in one or 2 "ICT" rooms. This whole selfish attitude of the "ICT Department" comes before any other department is obsurd and gets right on my t!ts
    Sorry but this is simply not yet the case in the majority of schools in the UK. ICT is still a discreet subject in every school I know of. ICT is still taught as a GCSE and at A-level.

It is still the case that if the ICT infrastructure goes down, ICT as a subject, whether you agree with it being taught as a discreet subject or not, is still affected worse than any other subject (unless those subjects particularly rely on computers, such as media studies or electronics). It is 100% understandable that the head of that department would get upset about it, as it is damaging his subject's pupils more so than other subjects.

3. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

GrumbleDook (25th May 2008), papakura (25th May 2008)

Thank Post

Can I Report this poster?

CAN I REPORT THIS POSTER?

If not, I will case to post here. I did not realise that I would get foul mouthed because I was a Head of ICT - "obsurd and gets right on my t!ts"

It is quite obvious to me that Oops does not have anything relevant to say about my situation - in this post or the previous one. I also think he gives his profssion a bad name.

Thanks to all others for your support. Somebody hit the nail on the head - students will not pass their exam because of this. As for me, I will spend another week in school during the holiday trying to process the coursework.

Before Oops makes a comment about teachers having too many holidays can I just add that I am one of the many teachers who spends at least half of all holidays working. I also work late in the evening and for a good 8 hours at the weekend. I run extra curricular clubs in sport and ICT voluntarily.

Thanks

Sorry if I have offended anyone - was not my intention.

5. 6 Thanks to papakura:

bizzel (25th May 2008), Ethain (3rd March 2009), GrumbleDook (25th May 2008), jcollings (25th May 2008), kmount (25th May 2008), SeanVin (27th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    English aren't affected as badly, nor are maths, science, history, geography, re, french, german, or any other subject. ICT requires access to computers far more than any other subject. If the network goes down in our school, the people affected most are our admin team and the ICT teachers. Everyone else can get on just fine without it.

Why are you being so negative? Seems pretty weird to me.
    Our School has ICT in Every single Classroom and 13 ICT Suites and 4 sub 15 PC suites in Large classrooms.. I would say ICT is everywhere ...

And I support papakura in their concerns...

Thank Post

You are out of Order... and why don't you put your own department first ... for Gods sake where is your loyality man ??!??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Our School has ICT in Every single Classroom and 13 ICT Suites and 4 sub 15 PC suites in Large classrooms.. I would say ICT is everywhere ...

And I support papakura in their concerns...
    We don't have the funds or space for introducing ICT into every classroom in our school. We've got some ICT provision in specific areas (namely art, dt, maths and english). But we have 3 ICT suites which are utilised 98% of the time. (We do have IWB's in every classroom though).

My point is that all subjects can carry on teaching without ICT, except ICT dependant subjects such as ICT, electronics and media studies. There is no denying that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We would have serious difficulty due to resources being stored centrally on the servers.

I would put this thread down to a similar vein as a football manager being hacked off about the pitch being flooded and neither the in-house plumber or the contractors getting things sorted, meaning that fixtures get cancelled adn the club being docked points!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    We would have serious difficulty due to resources being stored centrally on the servers.

I would put this thread down to a similar vein as a football manager being hacked off about the pitch being flooded and neither the in-house plumber or the contractors getting things sorted, meaning that fixtures get cancelled adn the club being docked points!
    All our staff keep copies of their work on their local machines or on usb keys. So the infrastructure going down doesn't affect them in this aspect.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We just have too many resources to do that ... and we then get into the situation of making sure they back up resources they keep locally ... and after it gets to 4GB per teacher and so much of it is duplicated we stop them, get them to structure the shared department area better and only drop things onto their local machine when needed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You need a UPS if you have a server. It ensures the server gets shut down properly in the event of a power failure! Not shutting down an AD server properly can lead to a corrupt AD.
    It can do but in my experience it's pretty rare (ie it's never happened to me and I hate to think how many times we've had DCs shutdown by just pulling the plug - not always deliberate but I have done it just to see what happens)

Having said that, I would agree that a UPS is pretty much essential. They're not terribly expensive and they are useful to just protect you against minor things going wrong with power.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

My point is that all subjects can carry on teaching without ICT, except ICT dependant subjects such as ICT, electronics and media studies. There is no denying that.
    Teaching of normal lessons might be able to continue but what about coursework etc?

I might be misunderstanding you here but I would have thought that most schools would have pupils doing GCSE/A Level etc coursework using computers (even it's just a word document for a project). Losing the computers as it comes to the end of the year would be massively disruptive to that.

I know that coursework for many subjects will have been submitted by now but we certainly have students desperate to get coursework finished before the end of the year - network down time just now would cause real problems.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Teaching of normal lessons might be able to continue but what about coursework etc?

I might be misunderstanding you here but I would have thought that most schools would have pupils doing GCSE/A Level etc coursework using computers (even it's just a word document for a project). Losing the computers as it comes to the end of the year would be massively disruptive to that.

I know that coursework for many subjects will have been submitted by now but we certainly have students desperate to get coursework finished before the end of the year - network down time just now would cause real problems.
    That is true, but then out of the normal 5-7 years that a high school covers in terms of teaching, there are 4 or 5 years which are still doing normal lessons. Not everything is about GCSEs and A-Levels.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Year 13 - A2
    Year 12 - AS
    Year 11 - GCSE
    Year 10 - GCSE (including modular work that is submitted in year 10)
    Year 9 - GCSE and KS3 SATs (we start our Technology GCSE courses in Year 9)
    Years 7 & 8 .... KS3 curriculum ... not exam work.

So ... we only have 2 years that can survive without IT at a push. And even in these year groups we use IT for continuous assessment (AfL) and access to resources for skill building.

I can't think of a single department that could survive without IT for this length of time. Even the PE dept run a BTec Sports Studies course that has a large amount of coursework, Drama involves written coursework ... I think Dance may be the only course that can get away with it, but the other courses within the Expressive Arts faculty need IT.

I would expect every single HoD at my door each morning asking what was going on if I wasn't communicating it to them all on a regular basis.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234