+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, FAO: Schools in Peterborough using 'safecom' with DANWOOD in Technical; HI Slider , I know it's a couple of years ago from the date of your post , but I ...
    Thank Post
    HI Slider ,

I know it's a couple of years ago from the date of your post , but I guess it's still relevant , we are currently looking at Danwood for our printing needs , but judging by the number of negatives they have on here i'm guessing it's not a good idea , however could you give more info as to why not to go with them.

Ta very muchly

Thank Post
    Hi Machman I have heard lot of bad things about Danwood. A post Office in leicester had a used machine delivered when it should have been new. The lease rate did not add up and the best bit the sales person from Danowwd, Signed a new lease contract and Forged signatures. Due to this the post office managed to get out of the contract. The three years they thought they had signed said in small print on the back it was FIVE YEARS! They added 75 per quarter after year one again in the small print.
    What make of machine are Danwood trying to sell you?

Thank Post
    Hi Gatt

Did they get out of the contract in the end?

Thank Post
    Hi Silder

oes that mean you have the equipment for five years after you handed your notice. So you could have had the machines for 6+ years?

Thank Post
    Sorry to drag this up again but it was discussed at yesterdays conference so I'll add my 2 cents worth.

As an ex-Danwood engineer of 7 years my own personal opinion of them is to stay well clear.

They have some good engineers but I would not be happy with contract small print.

Evergreen, Network Support contracts and (imho) sub-standard non-OEM consumables being just a few items to avoid.

If I was a customer, I would be checking my contract and invoices.

Thank Post

I'm spooked

Thanks for the info , the college however has went ahead with Danwood using papercut software , one thing tho the install was 2 weeks ago , we ran out of toner and they said oh you have 8 printers , I said no we have 5 , so I asked them how they could see the other 3 old ones I just plugged in to finish of the toners , to which they did not answer.

On Wednesday during half term I logged into the print server to find the Papercut software logged in and pointing at help pages , I know for a fact it was not me and no one else has the server logon or key code to the room except a premises officer.

If it was a hacker they would not be interested in how to get Papercut working in advanced mode ie the help pages , so the only conclusion I can draw from this is that Danwood somehow are in my server , I have not questioned them about it yet but would be interested in your opinion first.

Thank Post
    Interesting reading, another company based in leeds have phoned me several times offering a similar service to which I usually reply 'We are a very small school and I only use little deskjet printers in most classrooms'. they still say they can save me money.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by machman View Post
    Thanks for the info , the college however has went ahead with Danwood using papercut software , one thing tho the install was 2 weeks ago , we ran out of toner and they said oh you have 8 printers , I said no we have 5 , so I asked them how they could see the other 3 old ones I just plugged in to finish of the toners , to which they did not answer.

On Wednesday during half term I logged into the print server to find the Papercut software logged in and pointing at help pages , I know for a fact it was not me and no one else has the server logon or key code to the room except a premises officer.

If it was a hacker they would not be interested in how to get Papercut working in advanced mode ie the help pages , so the only conclusion I can draw from this is that Danwood somehow are in my server , I have not questioned them about it yet but would be interested in your opinion first.
    hi, i would check for remote control software like "teamveiwer, vnc,gotomeeting, or any other number of remote desktop software" which might be installed, did you give permission for them to gain remote access ? we have to monitor remote access of external agents or get them that engineer to sign a policy doc and then they are given a personnal username and password.

Thank Post
    Hi Machman,
    I am not familiar with Papercut so not sure if it has it's own remote access software installed with it.

I would think it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

As Lordasb said, I'd be checking for various installations of remote access software and having a read up on exactly what is parcelled with Papercut.

I'll make some calls when I get five minutes and see what I can find out.

Thank Post

Thumbs up

I have noticed some negative comments about Danwood and would like to share our very positive experience on using them ,

We are a college in Leicestershire and we have just had a Danwood Printer Solution Installed and I cannot fault them , Software was tricky to set up as we wanted multiple cost centres setting up in Active directory ( 97 at last count ) , The software installer " Chris" could not be more helpful and obliging and always came to tweek the software if I had to call him.

We are using Papercut MF and it's a breeze to use , setting up new groups , printers , centres all from a web interface ,from any PC

The printers are all brand new and we opted for a print release station option for student printing and charged back to relevant departmental cost centre , the Teachers also have a card they swipe to release jobs from certain copier/printers around the building and is working well , the only issue we had was with the small learning curve with staff and how to use the release stations/ swipe cards etc.

We would personally recommend using Danwood as they have bent over backwards to get us going , thanks to Dave as well for his many emails and hours of sitting in with us listening to our Printer Evolution plan , all in all a great job done very professionally , they listened to what we wanted even if we were suggesting something off the wall in many respects. "proof is in the pudding" as they.

Machman , may I pm you , I have something I would like to ask you. thanks

Thank Post
    "They have some good engineers but I would not be happy with contract small print."

Seems to me you've had good experience with their engineers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just want to make sure I can clean up one thing here - PaperCut does NOT have a remote control tool included in it. It is a Tomcat web service which runs on your machine.

If someone else has been accessing your server you should immediately disconnect that server from your network. Question the company about it, and check logs etc... on the server. Also, check your contract with Danwood, as they may have included a remote access clause in there.

Also, you should have a firewall on your server, restricting things down to just what should have network access etc... and then another firewall at your network edge preventing this sort of intrusion.

If you find evidence of an intrusion, and find nothing in your contract, and no-one has given them permission to access your server, you should report it to the police.

Thank Post

Evergreen

Quote Originally Posted by sLiDeR View Post
    We just legally got ourselves out of the Evergreen onto a fixed 5 year term. After that we will leave them for defo.....if im around to see it.

I cant stress enough to stay well away from Danwood.....like over the hills & across the mountains away!!
    Can you advise on how you got out of your Evergreen contract please. Many thanks.

Thank Post
    Hi I know this is old

But as a Danwood engineer I feel strong about this

I'd firstly apologise if you have had issues with us myself and the team of engineers work very hard to forfil out roles

My standards are high I'd kick a manufacture engineer around the room anyday !

As for contract I think that you should always read before you sign but I also know that sometimes its the customers top brass that make some of theses decisions and then Danwood gets to take the fall

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CopierTech101 View Post
    My standards are high I'd kick a manufacture engineer around the room anyday !
    Tough Guy!! ;-)

You're right, this is old. As I've mentioned before, this isn't about the engineers, though I know for FACT that Danwood engineers attend calls on equipment they are not even trained on. I even have knowledge of Danwood "allegedly" forging a manufacturer's training certificate so let's not even go there.

However, I am amazed you are putting the contract at the door of your customers. Danwood wrote the evergreen contract not the customer, they are the ones tying customers up for life.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast