+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Moving from CC3 to something else? in Technical; Also I would never mod an rm thread like this due to conflict of interest etc. Are you on RM's ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Also I would never mod an rm thread like this due to conflict of interest etc.
    Are you on RM's payroll ? or is the conflict because you love them so much

Thank Post
    > this has turned into a great thread.

Hmm.. it's pretty much ye olde Linux vs. Windows debate with a few left shifts.

While I consider what that implies, perhaps some vanilla expert can tell me what vanilla stuff they can't do on a CC3 box?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Are you on RM's payroll ? or is the conflict because you love them so much

lol

Nar they won't pay me keep asking

I work for an RM Pioneer School so means that we do lot of work with RM from top to bottom of the org.

If I was to mod this thread people would accuse me as they have already in this thread of doing it to protect RM in some way.

Which ironically is very wrong as RM love edugeek and what it stands for and getting unbiased views from you all..

Also people assume I love RM I am in fact one of RM biggest critics but 'public' image doesn't show that as do it behind closed doors.

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I sometimes wish we were on a vanilla network and then I would have more to do....

but then I watch the kids trying to hack and laugh in their faces with the extra restrictive CC3 software.

I'm gonna have a day at the boyfriends school and try and hack their network... should be fun!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    >
    While I consider what that implies, perhaps some vanilla expert can tell me what vanilla stuff they can't do on a CC3 box?
    Well at the moment I am trying to make users change their password at next login using Active directory > computers and users.
    When they log on nothing happens. I could be wrong but I'm thinking RM CC3 is stopping this happening?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    'cause it's for babies
    Maybe you should look into getting it then Grommit? It would suit your mental age!

Gotta admit - I think your gonna hold the "Edugeek Total and Utter Idiocy Statement" award for some time to come with that one!!! Congratulations!!

Butuz

7. Thanks to Butuz from:

PaulBM (18th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    Well at the moment I am trying to make users change their password at next login using Active directory > computers and users.
    When they log on nothing happens. I could be wrong but I'm thinking RM CC3 is stopping this happening?
    Works fine for us.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Maybe you should look into getting it then Grommit? It would suit your mental age!

Gotta admit - I think your gonna hold the "Edugeek Total and Utter Idiocy Statement" award for some time to come with that one!!! Congratulations!!

Butuz
    To be fair the comment is not that wrong. RM Connect is or was designed for schools with no technical people on site, where the IT teacher has to look after the computers, and has no understanding of anything more than Word, Excel, and Flow Control.

So the IT Teacher can click and the product makes the changes that a normal technician would understand no problem, so the product spoon feeds you, babys are spoon fed. Instead of altering 2003 Server/XP Directly, you asking this product to do it for you. I think that was the angle Grommit must have been taking

Thank Post

I use mixed clients here, cc3 in some rooms but vanilla in others.
    We installed italc onto two classrooms, it worked perfectly in the vanilla room without any hassle. The CC3 room has problems, the multilogon feature does not work, the execute remote scripts does not work.

The question should be what is easier on a vanilla network compared to CC3 and the otherway round.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose View Post
    The question should be what is easier on a vanilla network compared to CC3 and the otherway round.
    Can I start with application distribution then?

I find Ranger's system the easiest out of Vanilla, CC3 and Ranger

Thank Post
    Before entering the education sector I had never heard of CC3. To me that is an answer in its itself.

There are loads of package deployment solutions out there. We use free tools and they meet our needs very well. Mostly we can get a piece of software packaged and deployed within days. It only takes days as we have to fit in in with our existing work load

I inherited ghost licenses and we make full use of sysprep and ghost to deploy full OS images via multicast. I also inherited Ranger, but we decided to save money and remove it from the network.

Of the other features of CC3/Ranger type tools they are often a front end to standard OS functionality, that may suit some peoples need better than others?

So for us the cheapest and most flexible solution was vanilla with various third party tools

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Before entering the education sector I had never heard of CC3. To me that is an answer in its itself.
    yeah. much more likely people will respond to an advert for a windows admin than a cc3 admin. There are more skilled windows technicians than RM qualified technicians.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyx View Post
    No it isn't, that means nothing. CC3 is an exclusively education product and its no surprise you hadn't heard of it if you didn't work in education.

Thank Post
    > Well at the moment I am trying to make users change their password at next login
    > using Active directory > computers and users. When they log on nothing happens.
    > I could be wrong but I'm thinking RM CC3 is stopping this happening?

::shrug:: I don't think so. I just used ADUC on a CC3 system to force a password change on an account it just worked - an ' orrible little RM password change dialog popped up. And since we're all vanilla experts we know the only place RM might be getting in the way is with their custom GINA. But again being vanilla experts we know that if you've forced a password change in AD, Windows will not let the account logon until that is done i.e. if RMs GINA were blackholing the requirement for an immediate password change you'd know about it.

> We installed italc onto two classrooms, it worked perfectly in the vanilla room
    > without any hassle. The CC3 room has problems, the multilogon feature does
    > not work, the execute remote scripts does not work.

:shrug:: Then that's almost certainly just the security settings interfering and suggests to me your vanilla's aren't very well locked down. But since we're all vanilla experts we're perfectly happy customising anyone else's configuration of regular vanilla GPOs, firewall, file and hash rules to accommodate all that lovely educational software that is far too brilliant to follow long-standing MS guidelines. Aren't we...?

--

I'm just teasing OK? But not too much.. ;b

Thank Post

I'm not a vanilla expert by any means but it sure pees me off that you can't do a simple rename of a PC with CC3 which you can do on vanilla pc in a few minutes. Whereas on CC3 it requires a full rebuild taking hours...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast