+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Moving from CC3 to something else? in Technical; Originally Posted by Joanne My fella runs a vanilla network and he has a lot more issues than us with ...
    kerrymoralee9280
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    My fella runs a vanilla network and he has a lot more issues than us with stuff like creating packages
    Erm, use the same stuff RM uses - it's not theirs, and is free I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne
    allocating software. If a teacher gives him a disk and wants it for the end of the week he runs round all the computers that they want it on. I click allocate on management console.
    He must his exercise because most 'lazy' techs would simply allocate the package via GPO. Again, RM did not invent this technology, they simply jumped on the band wagon.

If one of his machines goes wrong then he has to find the image and restore it... after sysprep and all that stuff. I just click rebuild or restore!!
    With the right version of ghost I think you'll find you can build machines so much easier than you can with RM stuff.

If you like the extra work then go for it. At least you'll have some proper experience!
    Yes, generally there is extra work but you WILL see the benefits straight away! Like as in actually being able to do what YOU want with YOUR network.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster
    i'm more trying to point out that we're in danger of giving reggiep the impression that this can be done quickly and as they seem unsure i'd recommend as much time as possible.
    Point taken on board - it's not as difficult as everyone is making out but it certainly is time consuming. Do it in the 6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    it saves time because we don't have to mess on creating a standard image first for each individual and different types of hardware we have.
    Fair enough, but as part of these images you can install regular apps too like Office. How long does that take to install on CC3? If you image it here with it on along with dozens of other apps that are used everyday - isn't that a time saver too?

Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster
    I'm sorry but this sort of mass migration is never attempted in bussiness because they know the pitfalls
    True, because most business's (and I mean proper ones) are on Vanilla networks so why would they want to change. Theres not many '3rd party managed' business networks about.

Now if you ask me, a school network can be and is many times bigger than a lot of business networks - why should we sacrifice? Is our data not as critical? Can we afford to have machines pick up random RM bugs because their SR or hotfixes haven't been tested?!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrymoralee9280 View Post
    Yes, generally there is extra work but you WILL see the benefits straight away! Like as in actually being able to do what YOU want with YOUR network.
    I don't see what you're getting at here. We can do what we want with our network anyway. It's ours, we've paid for it. We simply use RM software to make our lives easier and we do not find it restricitve at all. I don't see why that is so hard for people to believe.

Fair enough, but as part of these images you can install regular apps too like Office. How long does that take to install on CC3? If you image it here with it on along with dozens of other apps that are used everyday - isn't that a time saver too?
    MS Office is a standard package, so it installs when we build a new machine or when the image doesn't have it in. But as previously said, once a machine has the OS installed and all packages we want - we can create a local HD image which can be restored in 5-10 minutes.

Can we afford to have machines pick up random RM bugs because their SR or hotfixes haven't been tested?!
    Erm... Any piece of software can introduce new bugs. If you seriously lived by your methodology you'd probably be running exclusively OpenBSD.

kerrymoralee9280
    Quote Originally Posted by webman
    I don't see what you're getting at here. We can do what we want with our network anyway. It's ours, we've paid for it. We simply use RM software to make our lives easier and we do not find it restricitve at all. I don't see why that is so hard for people to believe.
    Believe me - I'm not saying this blind. I've managed CC3 networks for 4 years and Vanilla for about 2. I have some level of experience in both and I know which i prefer. I know how restrictive RM stuff is because I've seen both stories for myself. Have you?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No, I've not worked with a vanilla network. But I have worked with CC3 for five years. Both I and Bossman have never found it restrictive.

coquet636
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrymoralee9280 View Post
    Believe me - I'm not saying this blind. I've managed CC3 networks for 4 years and Vanilla for about 2. I have some level of experience in both and I know which i prefer. I know how restrictive RM stuff is because I've seen both stories for myself. Have you?
    Got to agree here, I had CC3 for 4 years and although I liked it, and it worked, I still felt that moving to a vanilla would be so much better, and it has proved to be. Using Ghost i can rebuilt a machine in 20 mins, Whereas rebuild on cc3 with quickest machine was an hour an 10 mins...(i know poor network running at 100mbps was to blame, but same network does the 20mins ghosting)

It doesnt take long to setup either, just buy your new server early, and do the tasks as time permits.. ( dont laugh)... and come the 6 weeks ghost the machines and job done.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right lets all take deep breath and stop...

As said all have views no one is right depends on YOUR network, YOUR setup so while you had one experience of rm others had another experience.

No network is the same and no one will have same experience so lets just agree to disagree.

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Russ. I agree.

But please don't lock it though. I like definding our use of CC3 to those short-sighted members who think vanillas are for everyone.

kerrymoralee9280
    I never said Vanilla networks were for everybody or every organisation so stop twisting my words with your Labour tactics. As for short sightedness, how can you believe this to be true when I have worked on all kinds of networks.

Because you have not worked on vanilla your views are much more shortsighted than mine.

My opinion is NOT a guess, it's a judgement from what I've seen and used. I have never seen Ranger therefore cannot comment.

As for asking us to shut up RussDev, why? We are merely having a discussion about what we as individuals prefer to be running our networks? This is the right place for that isn't it? Or do you only want our opinions to be mentioned when they match that of edugeeks and edugeeks thousands and thousands of advertisers?!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My comment wasn't aimed at you Kerry

kerrymoralee9280
    ok, my bad

I know this place is getting heated, but surely we are allowed that. What would the world be without opinions and feelings?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I always find this anti-RM animosity very curious. " 'cause its for babies"? Please.

I have to run both CC3 and Vanilla domain at separate sites. There are advantages to both but to be honest I have far less trouble with CC3. Plus sales and support have always been good to us so I just dont recognise some of the stuff being talked about above.
    Can anyone justify the cost of CC3/4 ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @grommit yep

dam just lost last msg try again.

I am on mobile sorry for any errors.

I do take offensive at suppliers comment we don't care if rubbish sponsors.

second I was trying to get this back on topic as these rm threads just turn into flame wars.

I was trying to give people a way to bow out by agreeing to disagree.

Also I would never mod an rm thread like this due to conflict of interest etc.

As said op wasn't asking about merits of either system but how to move away.

people have strong feelings over rm and I am trying to avoid flamewar etc.

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Russ is right.

So I like CC3 and nobody is going to change my mind, just as nobody will change their mind against vanilla and this has been debated many times before without anything constructive coming from it.
    Plus, more importantly, this thread has been hijacked when someone was genuinely asking for help and I apologise for my small part it in.

Thank Post
    My original point was about moving BUT this has turned into a great thread.
    It shows how passionate people can be about their network setup.

I worked on a cc3 system for 3 years and a Vanilla then Ranger system for 3.5 years.

I may well become accustomed to CC3/4 again but at the moment I am struggling with simple things like adding network shortcuts when in the past I could do this blindfolded. I understand now how to do it through CC3 but I am having to relearn certain ways of doing things.

Anyway cheers for all the brilliant opinions and offers of help.

Thank Post
    True, because most business's (and I mean proper ones) are on Vanilla networks so why would they want to change. Theres not many '3rd party managed' business networks about.

Netware/Unix/Linux to Windows infrastructure or NT domains to Active Directory migration?
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 29th April 2008 at 08:50 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast