+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Moving from CC3 to something else? in Technical; Originally Posted by russdev in my view it takes at least 8 weeks to move to have a new network ...
    kerrymoralee9280
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    in my view it takes at least 8 weeks to move to have a new network working with out issues
    We did it in 8 days - It was last Easter so didn't even have a full fortnight because of the bank holidays, and we managed to take a half day on the last Friday. This was on a network of around 12 servers, 450 desktops and over 120 laptops with me and my old network manager - oh, we had to call the term time tech in for 1 day to help out with the ghosting.

You can prepare beforehand and if you do this it will minimalise downtime.

I have all the scripts etc (which aren't vb but even simpler .bat files) on my external HDD - will call out to the car sometime today to get them for you.

kerrymoralee9280
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Itís a lot easier than you think, just start now. Have the two systems running side by side, and slowly get it right before going live with it. There is loads of information and help out there, like here. Then think what you can do with the thousands of pounds you have saved not buying RM Connect licenses, so of benefit to the school, and also to you as it will make your skills so much more.
    Exactly the reasons we changed over (this was at my old school). RM screwed us around too many times, namly one sales representative who I won't mention by name, but instead by S.B. (no, not their initials either!).

Anyhow, it got to about Christmas 2006 and S.B. heard that we were getting sick of her - so she set up a meeting with the head and tried to get us into a whole lot of bother. Now we had a close relationship with the head as he loved technology so he wasn't having any of it - which is about the time the NM said f*** S.B., we'll go Vanilla, save the school some money and get some good experience out of it for ourselves.

So, we got two new servers (which we needed anyway) and instead of sticking them onto CC3 we locked ourselves in a room and started setting these up (Mainly GPO's etc) - then came the big day, the first Monday of Easter. We made a cup of coffee, had our sausage sandwich and we were off. The NM double clicked on the copyUsers.bat file and we watched the new network slowly set itself up.

Honestly - You can do all the prep beforehand. Takes a couple of days to finally switch your servers over. The biggest part (esp most time consuming) is ghosting all the machines for the first time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @quacker

Not simple as that as pointed out still got to buy licenses for all other software that you get with connect licenses often found that more expensive (in fact cheaper to buy tutor 3 than it is to buy net support school).

But then people can be Blind when it comes to RM But then people moving way from rm network very often do not do a proper total cost ownership no way I would change any network with out one but that is me.

Russell

4. Thanks to russdev from:

bossman (29th April 2008)

kerrymoralee9280
    Show of hands: How many techs here can 'hand on heart' say that the majority of their staff actively use Tutor3?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrymoralee9280 View Post
    Show of hands: How many techs here can 'hand on heart' say that the majority of their staff actively use Tutor3?
    By way tutor was just an exmaple and yes have quite few staff use it here. But then every school is different so what is good for you is not good everyone.

Lets stop anyway as we are going into what is better thread we will just leave it at every school is different and what is good for you maybe not goof for someone else.

Russ

7. Thanks to russdev from:

bossman (29th April 2008)

Thank Post
    None, because it's completely unreliable! We use it for network management purposes, and except for the odd occasion when it crashes, it's superb! For staff though, it just hasn't been tailored properly and these "addons" are very hit and miss!

We have contemplated a move to vanilla a few times, but don't feel our experience is sufficient enough to both manage and support a vanilla network, and the support from RM, however much frustrating at times it can be, is something we'd not want to do without. I don't want to sound pro-RM, as there are plenty of times we have felt very cheesed off, but considering it on the whole, I don't think we'd benefit enough to warrant a move.

kerrymoralee9280
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Every school is different so what is good for you is not good everyone.
    So by this I hope you mean Vanilla is a possibility for any school on here? I hate the attitude of "if it isn't broke" - Yeah, it isn't broke and it does seem to run ok, but if we did this *put whatever you want to do here* it would be ten times better.

Thank Post
    Last school I was at had Ranger remote which is the same software with a different badge. We had a hardcore of about 10 teachers who used it all the time for limiting website access and keeping an eye on the darlings but most teachers just walked round the room keeping an eye on them in the traditional way.

Thank Post
    So by this I hope you mean Vanilla is a possibility for any school on here? I hate the attitude of "if it isn't broke" - Yeah, it isn't broke and it does seem to run ok, but if we did this *put whatever you want to do here* it would be ten times better.
    You have hit the nail on the head there Kerry.
    I know I can stumble on as it is at the moment with CC3 taking some the hard work away from me or I could take the leap and go for something else which could be so much better in the long run.
    It would be a scary leap because the whole school is relying on me to provide a decent working network and it could go horribly wrong if they came back from the summer hols and found a network and network manager in tatters!

I think the getting a new server and setting up way in advance is going to be the route for me.

If I'm honest the hardest thing about moving away from RM is having that umbilical cord severed and not being able to ring them and shout "HELP" at the top of my lungs?
    Last edited by reggiep; 29th April 2008 at 10:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    If I'm honest the hardest thing about moving away from RM is having that umbilical cord severed and not being able to ring them and shout "HELP" at the top of my lungs?
    We don't bother using the RM support here, take a look at your logged calls and try to work out how many of these problems would not have occured on a vanilla system.

I pretty sure you will find that most of your logged calls will be asking for solutions/fixes for their fisher price mananagment tools.

does anyone remember their password syncing system to enable you to run 2.4 and cc3 at the same time, what a croc and a bad way to integrate two systems.

Thank Post
    Were looking to ditch CC3 for vanilla here too, same problems as already listed. Over complication of simple tasks that take far too much time to resolve, like shortcuts not appearing when they should or pop settings wiping after a restart. Over inflated hardware and software costs etc etc.
    CC3/4 has its place but if you have a full time tech who knows AD you dont need it.

kerrymoralee9280
    @reggiep: I liked your last post so much it single handedly gave me the motivation to walk to the car, less than 40 yards away, to get my external HDD.

The bad news is it wasn't there There was the tiny USB cable that compliments it but no harddrive. I've checked the whole car now, under seats in the boot, nadda. No where to be seen.

I have a feeling that when I went to college last night I may have knocked it on the floor getting my books out the back. I just find it strange that the cable is there. I wouldn't take the drive anywhere without the cable so I can only fear the worst.

I'll keep on looking and let you know if I find it for those scripts you were after :|

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've been happily running an RM CC3 network for five and a half years, and have only contact the support once - to replace a faulty drive that was within the warranty period.

It works, and it works well. Most of the time it does what we want, and if it doesn't, we find a way around it.

We obviously don't buy our workstations from RM due to cost. But the CCx software package is worth it.

Thank Post
    @ kerrymoralee9280: i would just like to say that you were very lucky to get that done in 8 days, if you had run into a seriouse issue you could of been back to square one on day 4. For a migration of this size 'especially' if you aren't too confident in your ability i wouldn't do this outside of the summer hols or as a phased migration it's too difficult to test everything once the migration is done in this amount of time so you're in danger of staff coming back to a 'beta' network which could leave you looking very silly.

kerrymoralee9280
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    @ kerrymoralee9280: i would just like to say that you were very lucky to get that done in 8 days
    How dare you! Luck had nothing to do with it - it was planned for months. The tiniest detail was planned. It was tested and tested and tested on Virtual Machines. We forced failures on the tests to see what would occur so we could be ready for them. We had plans for every occurance known and what we didn't have planned out, we had backups plans! And you have the balls to turn around and say it was lucky?!

I never once said it was easy. I just said it was possible to carry out in a short space of time with the right planning.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast