+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Netwok question in Technical; Hi I am currently teaching key stage 3 ICT . The school I am in has decided to install a ...

Thank Post

Netwok question

Hi I am currently teaching key stage 3 ICT. The school I am in has decided to install a new network in a new school building. Our ICT tech left a few months back and we were unable to recruit another.

I am looking at getting a managed solution as I don't have the time or expertise to install and manage a network and was wondering if I had any other options other then getting RM in and paying lots of money.

I am based in the east midlands, so any companies that you guys have used before or know of would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    smithy

Thank Post
    I've had dealings with Tempus in the past. There based in Birmingham but did a good job in a school i worked at a few years back. They had a full network installed including cabling and all the equiptment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maxim12345 View Post
    Our ICT tech left a few months back and we were unable to recruit another.
    smithy
    Why? I think you will find that your own on-site technician would be more effective and give better value for money. See the BSF thread on this site.

How about sharing tech support with another school in your area? This works for many Primary schools so should work for a small Middle/Secondary until you get proper staffing.

Thank Post
    I am going to assume you didnt get anyone interested in the job because the salary was too low. I would try and get your school to readvertise at a better rate. I would check what wages realistically you need to be paying.
    You say a technician but what you really need is a network manager. This will be an experienced person who will be able to cope with a network and all that comes with it. They will be able to help you take the school in what ever direction you wish on the IT side.
    Lets be honest what would you rather have, somebody on site who you can call to come fix your problems or someone who you have to ring and they send someone out and charge extras for stuff that falls outside normal terms and conditions.

I am suprised there are any schools of a decent size that dont have some form of technical staff. In most cases schools that do have some kind of third party contract also have someone on site to take care of the basics although this usually falls under a low salary wage and a high turnover.
    Your school needs to take a good long look at what they should be doing to keep upto the standards they are set by the government and how this decision could affect how you you come out after an inspection.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi I am currently teaching key stage 3 ICT. The school I am in has decided to install a new network in a new school building. Our ICT tech left a few months back and we were unable to recruit another.

I am looking at getting a managed solution as I don't have the time or expertise to install and manage a network and was wondering if I had any other options other then getting RM in and paying lots of money.

I am based in the east midlands, so any companies that you guys have used before or know of would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    smithy

What area are you in please?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I am going to assume you didnt get anyone interested in the job because the salary was too low. I would try and get your school to readvertise at a better rate. I would check what wages realistically you need to be paying.
    You say a technician but what you really need is a network manager. This will be an experienced person who will be able to cope with a network and all that comes with it. They will be able to help you take the school in what ever direction you wish on the IT side.
    Seconded - The IT industry is saturated with potential recruits. If the school offers a reasonable package/T&T/pay, you'll have plenty of people to choose from. Not only will you have an IT service tailored to the school and more efficient, but it will also work out a lot cheaper. Managed Services within schools, especially secondary, have major problems which the SLT need to consider before going down this route.

Thank Post
    Probably worth spending a bit more on hardware and installation up front, then not having to hire someone just to look after the PCs - this is the 21st century, we really should be able to make computers that just work by now. If you don't have to do masses of video editing or similar then thin client is probably your best option (see couple of other threads on here today about thin clients). Get a company in to install you a couple of nice new Windows Terminal Services servers, some nice fast (all-gigabit) network switches, a bunch of cabling and some thin client machines (snazzy so-small-you-can-barley-see-them new ones, or you can re-use older machines if you're a bit short of budget by that point). That's the nice thing about new buildings - you can get proper network cabling to everywhere you want it, so you can get decent network speed to everywhere, so thin clients should work well. Nice and easy to manage, you just have to update the central servers, not traipse around endlessly to individual workstations.

--
    David Hicks

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Where are you in the East Mids? I subcontract and I am always on the look-out for more work.

Thank Post
    might be worth speaking to European Electronique about the install and managed services.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread