+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Imperium - Ideas & help? in Technical; Hey, I'm not keen on the open-source route. Although i rely on it for many of the systems we use, ...
    Thank Post
    Hey,

I'm not keen on the open-source route. Although i rely on it for many of the systems we use, I have put alot of personal time in to this. Not to mention my tacky commenting :P

The core client and server will never be open-source. However when i release the SDK, i may release some of the plugins as open-source to give an example of what can be achieved.

P.s. i'm aware of subversion... been using it for over 3 years for many many things

As my dedicated server currently consists of a rubbish 1.1ghz celeron under my desk at my home... I will most likely host the downloads etc on sourceforge or some other distribution site. (Or just fork out for a dedicated server).

Anyway, I'm off to south wales this weekend, and then tenby Mon-Wed which is when i'll be doing the documentation. So expect to see alot of information Thursday (Friday at latest).

There seems to be alot of interest to test it. So what i've decided i'll do is setup a system where you can sign up to be part of the beta team with access to a bug tracker and private forums etc etc and give you a copy.

My main concern with going commercially is the fact that there are already some well established products out there. Some prehaps dont offer what Imperium offers at the core (community expansion via plugins). Prehaps that should be some work I do to decide which route to go.

In short, I want to make money from this somehow some way. But understanding that I dont have the resources nor the man power to compete against companies like RM or the people behind Ranger... it's a difficult choice to decide how.

(Joke Alert: Prehaps put google adwords on the clients? :P)

(By the way, IF Imperium does go commercial at any point, prehaps edugeek members (certainly beta testers) get discounts/benifits etc!)

2. Thanks to stratisphere from:

imike (26th April 2010)

Thank Post
    stratisphere: PMd you.

Thank Post
    Any news?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stratisphere View Post
    Anyway, I'm off to south wales this weekend, and then tenby Mon-Wed which is when i'll be doing the documentation. So expect to see alot of information Thursday (Friday at latest).
    Well its friday!

Thank Post
    Well bugger me, i'm sure i posted a little update friday night.

... i'm only 21 and i'm already losing my memory!

Anyway, i've got a site up at Home which will hold the information about Imperium (and the other plugins i develop).

Please note: It's not 100% done! If you dont see much... try later
    I'll be putting up descriptions of what it can do at the moment, plus what it will be able todo.

Also, at GibsonSystems Dev Forge: Welcome I've setup gforge with all of my projects on. Feel free to register on there and join any projects you would like to beta for.

During today, i'll be adding news/info etc on to both sites.

P.s. had an idea over night... Some processes (such as end of year tasks) differ from school to school. So for that (and for many other custom per-school tasks), i've come up with implimenting LUA scripting into Imperium (via a plugin). More info on that soon!

Sorry for the delay guys, GF decided to make the holiday longer (and i was getting tonns of answer messages from the school from stupid teachers... so i wasnt going to argue with having more holiday!)

Promise i wont keep you in the dark for as long next time

Thank Post
    I've joined this thread late but there's definitely some interesting possibilities for this. Releasing an SDK of sorts and allowing users to write their own plugins is a good idea too.

You have obviously spent a great deal of time developing the software and I suggest you license it in such a way that will generate you some income while keeping the program's capabilities open. Perhaps use a model that allows people to write GPL plugins that can interface with a 'paid-for' core application?

Anyway... a PM has been sent!

8. Thanks to Ric_ from:

stratisphere (7th April 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanks

Yeh everything i'm thinking of at the moment will basically lead to what you've suggested.

Imperium Client & Server = Licensed
    All other plugins (developed by me (or "Gibson Systems") = GPL

... Infact, yes, thats what i'll do! It's Final! :P

(P.s. I shall reply to your PM this moment (after a sip of coffee))

Thank Post
    Hmm not sure you are understanding GPL,or I am not

See Frequently Asked Questions about the GNU Licenses - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

Here are the sections I am pointing too, if you would like to read up on them.

I'd like to incorporate GPL-covered software in my proprietary system. Can I do this?

I'd like to incorporate GPL-covered software in my proprietary system. Can I do this by putting a “wrapper” module, under a GPL-compatible lax permissive license (such as the X11 license) in between the GPL-covered part and the proprietary part?

I have worked on projects where arguments over the interpretation of the above has seen the project fold!

As it happens I am working on a similar project to you, but it is will not be GPL and will not specifically aimed at the education sector. I attempted to try the public spirited approach about 12 months ago and got virtually no feedback or input. To me the only unique element of the education IT sector is the average age of the customers

Thank Post
    lol, thanks for the FAQ to that... i'l read up on it. By me saying i was going todo that, i was actually saying "hey, that sounds good, i'll look it up and refine the details".

I suspected straight from the start that GPL couldnt be implimented in it's normal format into what im doing.

As for marketting it etc. While Imperium (i guess?) could be used for "normal" networks (i.e. businesses) it was designed to meet my needs at the school I work at. So alot of it hints to education. I've had quite a bit of interest from the LEA aswell about it. So there is interest in this, but what i've found (and i experience aswell!) is that once a school has a working solution... why change it?!

Anyway, this is just my attempt at re-inventing the wheel (but a different model). To be honest, I dont see this being used in more than a handful of schools (if any) for the very reason above.

Maybe i'll be wrong tho? :P
    Last edited by stratisphere; 8th April 2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: I'm a dope who cant type

Thank Post
    Morning Guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates, been working hard on Imperium (along with getting a new very cute hamster!).

Anyway, i'm afraid there are still no releases yet. I really want to get it out there to you guys, but I dont want to send out a release which may cause trouble. But getting a beta release out is my top task at the moment.

So, to keep you intrested, i've put together a quick wiki listing most of it's features, it's available over at Imperium Features - Gibson Systems Wiki (Sorry about the speed of the site... it's hosted at home. I will get it moved over by the time I release).

Thank Post
    I've joined this thread late but there's definitely some interesting possibilities In Imperium I Tryed Getting On The Website But Dident Work

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12